PDA

View Full Version : Stalling mk3 Golf

Chel$ea
16-07-2007, 01:27 PM
I have a 95 mk3 golf 1.6, which has created a habbit of frequently stalling most notably when warm. This usually happens after a short journey, when engaging 1st or reverse gear the engine will cut out. This has also now started to happen whilst travelling at about 40mph in 4th, the engine will violent thump as it stalls. It also struggles to start sometimes, the engine will fire up then instantly cut out, regardless of throttle input.

I have already changed the coil, spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor arm and leads. I have had the car diagnosed at a local garage, which showed no error codes at all?? As a student I can't afford to keep replacing parts, but any advise would be of great help.

Crasher
16-07-2007, 01:35 PM
What is the engine code, there are two different types of 1.6? If you can't find it, PM me the chassis number. The cutting out just after start up may be an immobiliser issue as 95 was the first year they were fitted as standard. You probably don't even release it is there either as it is a passive system with a chip in the key and a reader coil around the ignition barrel. Did the garage scan the immobiliser for you?

Chel$ea
16-07-2007, 01:52 PM
The engine code is AEE, I don't honestly know if the car has an immobiliser as there seems to be no sign of one, unfortunately the garage didn't mention an immobiliser scan. However, the cutting out after starting does eventrully stop after about 5 or 6 attempts on average. Just seems to be very temperamental.

copthis1
02-10-2007, 08:13 PM
Any solution to your problem. I have the same. Any new ideas????

Regards

superhuman
22-10-2007, 03:10 PM
Any solution to your problem. I have the same. Any new ideas????

Regards

With the same car (MK 3 1.6 golf)

My brother had exactly the same problem

The engine cut out or stalled when traveling at a few speeds

My dad took it for a long drive (From Cardiff to Heathrow and Back) and this stopped the problem, now I believe it cuts out very rarely

So Long Drive may sort it

jona_20017
15-01-2008, 12:14 AM
I have a '94 Golf MkIII which had exactly the same problem, Stalled when warm and wouldn't start again for about 20 mins - called RAC to it twice and both times as soon as the guy got in it started. VERY embarrassing. Been in and out of the garage and they have not been able to find a problem - no fault codes whatsover. This persisted until one night I was driving home from work and the water temp guage went off the scale, after trying to top it up with coolant (after it had cooled down!) I found the thermostat housing had completely cracked.
Ringing round all the local dealers and scrapyards I managed to get a replacement for a tenner complete with the water temperature sensor.
Replaced the housing, sensor and thermostat (very easy job to do, just don't overtighten it.) RESULT!! The car runs better than ever and it has not stalled in over three months and started first time, every time.
What may be of interest is the sensor that came out had a blue collar around it, the one that went in had a yellow collar. Don't know what the difference is. Hope this helps.