PDA

View Full Version : Golf Mk3 Shutting Down

colinharmon
16-07-2007, 01:23 PM
I have a mk 3 golf cl which has started to shut down, probably due to the immobiliser. Soemtimes the alarm will not work at all (but the batteries in the button are ok). If I leave it for a while it suddenly works ok again but then it will cut out after 10 mins or so driving and wont restart.. If I disable the alarm (under the bonnet) I can restart the car fine and it will drive perfectly but my problem is that the keyholes on the drivers and passengers side were "barrelled" by someone trying to steal it a few years back so I cant open or close the car manually.
Therefore when I want to drive the car I have to disable the alarm and reactivate it when I park the car, then wait 10 mins before I can use the alarm to lock it. Im thinking it might need to have a new battery installed but would welcome any suggestions. Had nothing but problems with this car...

Crasher
16-07-2007, 01:29 PM
You definitely need to have the handles repaired to sort out the locks and you probably need to have the alarm replaced as it may be failing on one of it's immobiliser circuits.

colinharmon
16-07-2007, 01:46 PM
Yeh, definately gonna get the handles replaced. Dont know how much that would cost do you? Its been the wettest July on record in Ireland so I have a suspicion that the immobiliser has been damaged by water

Crasher
16-07-2007, 02:08 PM
Unlikely the immobiliser has got wet; it is above the steering column.

colinharmon
16-07-2007, 02:18 PM
I thought the key lock unit under the bonnet was the immobiliser?

Crasher
16-07-2007, 04:34 PM
That will be the alarm and another immobiliser, not the factory fitted one that causes your symptoms. I am guessing your is post 95?

colinharmon
16-07-2007, 04:45 PM
Yeh, its a 1997 cl with a Gemini car alarm system

Crasher
16-07-2007, 05:02 PM
Reading your original post again, even though it has got a factory immobiliser, I think that problem is with the aftermarket unit. I would have it removed and live without as the alarm obviously didn't stop someone trying to break in last time and you can then depend on the factory fitted unit to stop it being stolen.

colinharmon
17-07-2007, 11:50 AM
Yeh, I think that would be the best course of action. I've got a quote of about 140euro (c 100sterling) to get the handles replaced and then I can just lock it manually which wont be so bad. In the meantime I've managed to lock the car using the alarm and if I want to move it I can just disable the immobiliser. How do I know if theres a factory fitted immobiliser?

Crasher
17-07-2007, 01:20 PM
It should have one. PM me your chassis number and I will look at the build details.

neileg
17-07-2007, 04:18 PM
Yeh, I think that would be the best course of action. I've got a quote of about 140euro (c 100sterling) to get the handles replaced and then I can just lock it manually which wont be so bad. In the meantime I've managed to lock the car using the alarm and if I want to move it I can just disable the immobiliser. How do I know if theres a factory fitted immobiliser?
People that cut keys have a machine to read the chip in the ignition key that activates the immobiliser. They will be able to tell you - just ask for a quote to have a key cut and they'll read the chip. But I'm 99.9999999% sure you'll have a factory immobiliser.