PDA

View Full Version : Question 2011 Jetta quality?

rodaire
08-08-2011, 03:59 PM
I ran a '91 Passat for five years (2nd owner) and now have 800 miles on a newly purchased 2011 Jetta (SE 2.0 TDi).

There is, IMHO, a vast difference in quality between the two. Perhaps it's the normal trend these days to pay more and get less but this car is noticeably less substantial.

For instance, the six-speed gearbox feels as though there is a wrong grade of oil in the gearbox because the gear-change is very clunky, particularly first and second. I've tried double de-clutching but that's no help.

About the mats: no heel pad for the driver, which is going to wear the mat material like crazy. Only the front mats have the stud fixing -- nothing for the rear.

When I opened the hood I first thought that I should look for a company that supplies additional sound-proofing but there actually is a very thin mat attached.

I would appreciate opinions from anyone with advice for the gearbox but I shall of course contact the dealer to ask the question.

Thanks for reading my moans!

SC03OTT
08-08-2011, 04:11 PM
I don't have any advice regarding the gearbox unfortunately.

I do however agree with your comments re. quality. I went to look at the Mk6 Jetta, just to see what it was like in the flesh (I wasn't bowled over by it in pictures). It was a real let down. The interior felt very cheap (for a £20K motor). The rear seats had a plastic bolster on the outside where mine is proper padded cloth (both are SE trim FYI). The switches for the interior lights felt cheap. The dash felt cheap. I just didn't like it, much to the salesmans disappointment. I really wanted to like it, but just didn't. I won't be buying one. I'll be opting for a Focus ST instead.