PDA

View Full Version : Water on rear sill

cc driver
07-08-2011, 08:42 PM
Hi..
i have had my Passat CC GT for about 2 months now.
I have a problem with water collecting on the sill of the rear drivers side door, after a shower of rain. When i open the door, about a cupfull falls out.
It doesnt happen on any other door.

I have read other similiar threads with problem same as mine, but no real answers to cure the problem, or how it has been dealt with by volkswagen.

Anyone out there had similiar experiences?

Dereku
19-08-2011, 07:22 PM
I had the same problem, after investigation I found, what I believe to be a paint run hole in the bottom of the door, between the two seals a blanking grommet soon solved the problem, after checking that the proper drain holes were clear, hope this helps.

cc driver
20-08-2011, 11:52 AM
I had the same problem, after investigation I found, what I believe to be a paint run hole in the bottom of the door, between the two seals a blanking grommet soon solved the problem, after checking that the proper drain holes were clear, hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply Dereku.
i will check on mine later.
PS how could i tell the difference between a "Paint run hole" and a proper drain hole?

Incidently, on mine, the rubber at the bottom of the door seems to be notched out in two places.
I had believed that this was where the water was meant to leak out from the sill to beneath the door to the ground.
I had cut out another notch in the middle, but dont believe it was successful. (it hasnt rained too hard since i done this).

Dereku
21-08-2011, 08:33 PM
ccdriver,
There should be no holes in the door between the two seals, if there is you need to seal them. the drain holes are very small, and at the the very bottom of the door edge outside both seals.
Dereku

Shadow CC
22-08-2011, 08:40 AM
Hi
I have the same thing and have done for the 2 years I've owned it. My drive way has a slight up slope so water collects in the rear doors and when I open them a maximum of a small cupful comes out of each. It never goes into the car footwell but is a bit odd how it "collects" in the door and requires you to open the door to drain it. After washing the car I've now got into the habit of opening the back doors briefly to let them drain. oh dear.

Anyway on mine the water comes out of the rubber sear (which is hollow) and has drain holes punched into it on the bottom. It seems that when the door is shut the seal does its job and er seals, effectively covering the drain hole. When you open the door the hole is exposed and the water flows out. Not sure how you solve this other than cutting more holes on the outer bit of the seal but then in effect that kills the seal so to speak.

Not a big deal to me but if someone has a quick fix I'd be grateful.

Still the best car I have ever owned with 2 years and 30k done so far. Marvelous.

Shadow

cc driver
22-08-2011, 09:28 AM
Thanks Shadow CC,
you seem to have exactly same problem as me.
Have you tried reversing up your sloped driveway (with nose pointing down, so to speak) to see if this makes a difference.
Im not sure if this issue has been discussed with VW before, but i intend to adress it at next service (in approx 7000 miles).

Shadow CC
23-08-2011, 02:28 PM
I seem to remember it collected in the front door as well if pointed down. It does a little if pointed up. Gravity and all that dictating which way the rain runs off the windows. I guess the water gets in between the window frames and is supposed to just drain straight through but instead collects in the rubber seal.

I should have mentioned it at my recent service a few k's ago but forgot but do let us know how you get on with VW. Would be nice to stop having to empty the car of water every now and again!

Shadow

cc driver
23-08-2011, 05:17 PM
Shadow CC.
Ill try to remember to drop a line after i go to VW for my next service.
I only have my a car a couple of months. Did you have any bother with this water in the seals freezing during the cold spell last winter?
When i think about it, did you have any bother with opening doors due to drop down windows during the cold spell last winter?

CC Driver

Shadow CC
23-08-2011, 05:27 PM
No winter bother for me. Thought the up and down windows would have struggled with the ice but nope all fine even in the frozen deep south.
Shadow

cc driver
10-10-2011, 12:45 PM
I seem to remember it collected in the front door as well if pointed down. It does a little if pointed up. Gravity and all that dictating which way the rain runs off the windows. I guess the water gets in between the window frames and is supposed to just drain straight through but instead collects in the rubber seal.

I should have mentioned it at my recent service a few k's ago but forgot but do let us know how you get on with VW. Would be nice to stop having to empty the car of water every now and again!

Shadow

OK - So called in with VW, explained the nature of the problem, to arrange a date to take her in to get fixed.
The manager (who overhead my conversation to the nice young lady taking notes of the problem) interupted and said" Thatll be the door seal.... weve done some before".
Phew.. a known issue, so it will be sorted easily.

Left the car in a week later as arraanged.
Got a call later to say "seal is perished and need replaced, can you arrange a day to take it in". How annoying is that....

Anyway, door seal has now been replaced, and i have no water dropping from sill anymore.
All done free of charge under the warranty. Happy with result.

They did not let my mate (who was collecting the car) have the "perished" door seal, as they wanted to sent it off to VW.
Guess this is reasonable enough practice, but it meant i could not see exactly what the nature of the problem was, to report it back to you guys. Sorry for that.