PDA

View Full Version : Please Help A2 abs fault

bekian06
07-08-2011, 06:20 PM
Hi All

I have an A2 2001 1.4 petrol. Recently my husband replaced the nearside front left wheel bearing since then the abs fault shows on the car. We have replaced the speed sensor but still no change. Have used a neighbours code checking machine and its showing No faults??? On start up only the abs light stays on and when you drive forward the car starts beeping loudly and the warning triangle comes on. Any ideas what could be wrong???:1zhelp:

Crasher
07-08-2011, 07:21 PM
The code reader you are using is not telling the truth; get it done by a garage with proper equipment. What make of wheel bearing was used? I had this problem with a GSF Vetech bearing and it was a duff wheel bearing sensor ring. Also fitting these wheel bearings properly without the special locking ring engaging press plate is difficult, it may not be fully pressed in which will make an excessive air gap. The other possibility is that it was just a faulty sensor and the code will not clear even if you fit a new sensor, it has to be cleared using a diagnostic system.

bekian06
07-08-2011, 07:55 PM
Thanks for that. It was a GSF Vetech bearing that we used the complete wheel hub bearing. Did you change or exchange bearing again?? I will pop to our local garage tomorrow and have a proper diagnostics check done. Thanks for your help I will post results tomorrow

Crasher
07-08-2011, 10:22 PM
I now only use top quality bearings such as FAG, SKF and FEBI, I have learnt my lesson. The failure rate I experienced on Vetech bearings was ridiculous. In the case of the A2 I had issues with, we fitted a Febi bearing and it worked immediately.