PDA

View Full Version : Voice contol for Bluetooth Phone on RNS315

B7Rob
05-08-2011, 10:41 AM
Hi All, new to this Forum so go gentle on me. I have recently taken deliver of a B7 1.6TDI BM Sport Estate (UK spec), and according to the spec its comes standard with the RNS315 Nav system. After reading the handbook that comes with the car covering RNS310 and RNS315. It says that the RNS315 (310 does not) has voice command dialing for the Bluetooth phone set up. After I paired our IPhone 3GS and Blackberry Pearl 8100 the phone works fine but no Voice command Icon comes up on the screen and the button on the steering wheel just mutes. Can anyone advise, does it need an update? Or god forbid have they fitted a 310 and how would I know? Lots of questions, please help Rob.

JonMarsh
06-08-2011, 10:26 PM
I have a three week old CC fitted with an RNS315 with MDI and DAB. I have the same issue - have Nokia phone which, when paired with the RNS315, can be controlled via the steering wheel controls and MFD but does not appear to have any voice control. And it's definitely an RNS315 fitted as opposed to an RNS310 (nav functions and DAB etc) so I wouldn't worry about whether they've fitted an RNS310.

But, as an observation, the button on the steering wheel which should activate the voice control does more than just mute the radio - it acts as a pause button when playing media files from either an SD card or an iPod attached to the MDI. Since (unbelievably) there does not appear to be a pause function on the RNS315, this is a good thing when listening to podcasts. If the button did actually do the voice control then I don't know how I'd pause media replay. That said, I would like to know why I don't have voice control.

B7Rob
07-08-2011, 06:13 PM
Thanks Jon, good info. I await others posts for any further incite. My own investigations over the weekend imply that the voice control on the 315 is only available in the US.

B7Rob
11-08-2011, 12:42 PM
Hi Again All,

Further investigation on this question for the B7 TDI Sport with RNS315, it appears it depends what bluetooth module is fitted as standard. If its the 9w7 then you needs someone to update the PTT (push to talk) option on the steering wheel software. This needs VCDS software (formally know as VAG COM). see the URL below

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a6/9w7-VW-bluetooth-module.htm

This raises 2 questions:
1. how do i identify which BT module is fitted?
2. how to i get access to VCDS?

cheers Rob

gg1946
17-06-2014, 09:35 PM
have you got a mic installed in the roof light module.

gingernut352000
01-07-2014, 06:46 PM
had the same with my nov 2013 highline VW dealer hd it for the day then looked on the computer at the build details and it said no voice control so not installed end story you don't have it. apparently if buying new you should request it for the build my comment show me where it says that on the vw website then and they could not answer me. mine a company car so that's that for me simples I only take incoming calls.

Woody47
20-10-2014, 01:21 PM
Had the same issue with my RNS315 in a 14 plate Exec., Style. Dealer had no knowledge of the feature so I phoned VW Customer Support who informed me that, having checked my VIN No, the car was not built with a voice control module fitted. Not possible to retro fit as it would also require a new ECU and total cost could be in the region of £4K !!!!! ***!

I had a Parrot kit in my old B6 Passat and that even gave the option of using its own voice control or the phones'. Amazing that VW can be so clumsy with electronic issues such as this. They are just not switched on to customer's needs and making theses things available through a simple and low cost software upgrade.

mrbroons
03-04-2015, 11:21 PM
Ok, just to kick start this thread again. Here is the problem I have, it seems to contradict the thoughts so far.

I have a 12 plate Alhambra 7N SE with RNS315 and Bluetooth, it has voice control working via the button the wheel and it came this way from the factory. I also have a 12 plate Passat B7 Highline with RNS315 and Bluetooth and it has no voice control. I have absolutely no idea why the two cars with almost identical specification have and 'do not' have the voice control. From everything I have read people say the RNS315 does not have voice control functionality and yet mine does. I have done the usual looking under the drivers and passengers seat for an extra Bluetooth module which might explain the working Voice control in the Alhambra but it's not there on either side.

On a slightly different note I have another issue with both cars which is in the same vein. The Alhambra has the function that dips the nearside mirror when the car is in reverse (it does have heated and folding mirrors with puddle lights), the Alhambra does 'not' have memory seats however. The Passat also has heated and folding mirrors with puddle lights plus the drivers mirror darkens with the interior mirror at night when needed, however the Passat does not have the capability to dip the nearside mirror - it is not available in the computer menu and even when coded with VCDS although it shows the menu it doesn't activate the feature!

So I have two cars one Seat and one VW with an almost identical spec that have two completely different set of capabilities. There are a lot of questions re these features online but no one seems to have a real answer on this that I can follow to get me to a fix. I'm not concerned if I need to purchase new hardware etc to enable the features so long as I know what I'm looking for.

Any help would be appreciated.

mrbroons
04-04-2015, 02:33 AM
I have fixed it. I now have voice control working via an RNS315 using Vcds. I will post the details later as it is quite late.

Fr51zzz
04-04-2015, 06:34 PM
Any update on how you did this? Have you got mic in roof?

mrbroons
04-04-2015, 07:31 PM
Yes I had all the components already installed. The Passat had Bluetooth and RNS315 already but no voice control.

Here are the mods that got it working, your mileage may vary but in my case the system was disabled by VW from the factory but all the systems were already installed.

To get Voice control working on RNS315

Go to module 16 - Steering Wheel
Byte 1 Bit 3 tick - "Multi-Function-Steering-Wheel (MSFW) with Push-to-Talk (PTT) Button installed"
Do-It

Go to module 37 - Navigation
Byte 10 untick bit 7 "Speech Dialog System (SDS) disabled/blocked)
Do-It

I really hope this helps folks out there struggling with this. Remember be careful, this worked for me it may not work for you and you are liable not me if it does any damage, I am assuming you are experienced with VCDS already if not there are many guides.

Woody47
04-04-2015, 09:42 PM
Great news mrbroons! Will get my VCDS connected and give it a try on mine. Didn't bother to try it after VW HQ gave me such a gloomy outlook. Look forward to seeing another post from you about any special tricks you had to use.
There is a mic installed in the forward overhead lighting panel. It's there for normal hands free operation so It does seem crazy that with the voice op button on the wheel it won't work.

Woody47
04-04-2015, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the routine. I'm on it in the morning. Will post my success or failure so others can see.

Fr51zzz
04-04-2015, 10:06 PM
Well I'm going to give it a go tomorrow also.
I have the RNS 315 in my 2011 blue motion sport.

mrbroons
04-04-2015, 10:46 PM
Please do let me know how you get on. Remember and do some power cycles before trying the button (ignition off, exit car, lock car, then go back in and power up again). Oh and always code the car with the ignition on, not started and the doors all shut but not locked.

Fr51zzz
05-04-2015, 12:03 PM
On mine it says out of range when I try to save it?
Man I doing something wrong?

mrbroons
05-04-2015, 02:23 PM
Can you send me some details about the spec of your car, model, year and some screen grabs of what you are trying and I'll see if I can spot any mistakes.

Fr51zzz
05-04-2015, 03:02 PM
It's a 2011 Passat bluemotion sport. It has the RNS 315 head unit fitted. It has working Bluetooth phone connection.
when I tried to change the code for the steering wheel it said something about code out being out of range 31??

mrbroons
05-04-2015, 03:15 PM
What wheel do you have? I presume you are doing the usual VCDS stuff. So get into car, cable into port, shut door, ignition on (not started), door left unlocked but shut, all other doors shut. Full Auto-Scan completed and saved (just in case) then into the module 16 (steering wheel). Can you show me a picture of what you see on VCDS then?

Fr51zzz
05-04-2015, 03:26 PM
Sorry I'm away from laptop at the minute.(on phone) I have the multi function steering wheel. It has the push to talk button.
Currently it just mutes the radio/music when pressed.

mrbroons
05-04-2015, 03:28 PM
Get back to me when you have the laptop and you have the info and I'll see if I can help.

Fr51zzz
05-04-2015, 05:55 PM
I'm cheers mate 5 mins then I'm back plugged in. I'll post screen shots.

Fr51zzz
05-04-2015, 06:22 PM
Oh yes that's me sorted. ������
just need a little more patients.
Cheers for all your help.
I've got VCDS im based nr burton on Trent if I can be of use.

mrbroons
05-04-2015, 06:23 PM
So it is all working now?

Fr51zzz
05-04-2015, 06:53 PM
Yes mate all working now.
Vcds gave me 3 options for writing the code. I used the option for vcds to manually change code and try it.
All good now. I have voice dialing. Thanks for posting this.

mrbroons
05-04-2015, 07:17 PM
You are more than welcome, glad it sorted it for you, welcome to the world of voice control!! Next thing is mirror dipping on reverse if you manage to find any details on this please let me know!!!

Fr51zzz
05-04-2015, 07:37 PM
I thought that was only with memory seats?

mrbroons
05-04-2015, 08:33 PM
If you read my original post that was the second of my problems. My Alhambra also has this feature and doesn't have electric or memory seats so I know it can be done. That is my next challenge, watch this space!!! :-)

Fr51zzz
05-04-2015, 08:45 PM
I'm ready and waiting. I'll try a few things.

mrbroons
05-04-2015, 09:58 PM
Here is a good German site I have found, make sure and use Chrome and it will auto translate it for you.

stemei.de .VCDS Codierungen .Codierungsservice .Webdesign - Stefan Meier - Codierungen - VCDS Codierungen, Webdesign (http://www.stemei.de/pages/coding.php)

06-04-2015, 12:20 PM
Just performed the changes described by 'mrbroons' and it seems to have worked. I need to improve my diction as the only instruction so far understood has been 'Help'.

Not long after purchasing my B7 Sport 140 with RNS315 I asked VW if voice control of the phone could be used. I have copied their reply below.

My thanks to 'mrbroons'

Reply from VW:
Thank you for your recent contact in relation to the Passat Sport. Please accept my apologies for the delay in my response.

I can confirm that the RNS 315 in the UK is not specified with voice control. The handbook provided with all our vehicles is
generic across Europe and translated into the required language.

I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Thank you for contacting Volkswagen UK.

Yours sincerely

Phil Rhodes
Customer Enquiries Advisor
Volkswagen Customer Services Centre

Tel: 0800 333 666
Email: customerservices@volkswagen.co.uk (mhtml:{45EE5523-7604-4B64-B3B1-076A923B8C4D}mid://00000038/!x-usc:mailto:customerservices@volkswagen.co.uk)
Internet: www.volkswagen.co.uk (mhtml:{45EE5523-7604-4B64-B3B1-076A923B8C4D}mid://00000038/!x-usc:http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/)

mrbroons
06-04-2015, 12:35 PM
Excellent news! A trivial update that VW could no doubt provide for £50 and you would be a delighted customer. Shame. But glad it is working for you.

Craig Marshall
29-09-2015, 07:51 PM
Frizz - I've got a 64 Tiguan and would like to enable the voice control and noticed you had succesfully achieved a similar success. I live in Nottingham and I'm due to travel to Burton upon Trent over the next wheels to pick up some alloy wheels which are in for refurbishment and wondered if you could help me out with enabling it on mine. The stereo system doesn't have any quick dial feature so if really like to give voice control a go

Fr51zzz
29-09-2015, 10:45 PM
I do have vcds but have only used it on my car.im just learning how to use it. I just followed the instructions by mr broom. What head unit does yours have? And steering wheel.
I can do the same changes as I've done but if that doesn't work I wouldn't know where to start to look for other changes.

delboy555
13-10-2015, 10:24 AM
I live in Nottingham. Does anyone know where I can have this work done locally?

Scottiedogg
13-10-2015, 11:33 AM
Have a look in the VCDS section. One of the stickies should be a map and list of users offering to do scans etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

delboy555
13-10-2015, 11:57 AM
Thanks for that. I'll take a look.

delboy555
15-10-2015, 08:11 AM
Well that's me sorted. Voice is working now. Thanks to mrbroons who found the solution and to everyone else who contributed. I managed to find a great guy locally (k7m) who did the trick and threw in a few extra goodies as well, like a large digital speed reading in the centre of the information display (in mph) and auto closing windows if it started raining whilst you were away from the car and had left the windows open accidentally. My first port of call was the VW dealer, who was unable to help siting modern software unable to fix the problem. So find yourself a local man (or woman) and this annoying problem should get fixed. I still can't understand why VW don't turn it on at build.

delboy555
15-10-2015, 08:21 AM
Whoops that should read M7R (not k7m) sorry.

Woody47
05-02-2016, 09:04 AM
Thanks again Mrbroons. Worked straight away on my 2014 Exec, estate. What rubish info from both my dealer & VW HQ.

mrbroons
05-02-2016, 03:08 PM
[emoji3][emoji322]