PDA

View Full Version : Removing an interior trim kit?

marksan
04-08-2011, 03:07 PM
Hi all, I have just become the very proud owner of an A6 avant 2.5 tdi quattro sport on an X plate, with low miles, very chuffed. Sad though to part with my plain old A6 avant 2.5 tdi having covered 215,000 miles together.

Anyway, the new car has an aftermarket wood interior trim kit applied, which i don't like to be honest, I much prefer the chequered aluminium underneath. The question is.....has anyone ever tried to get one of these trim kits off? I guess they are double sided taped on, is there a solvent for it, or is it a hot air gun job? I really dont want to damage the original trim below so any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance

dan.taylor.1
04-08-2011, 05:47 PM
Is it a kit, did they not do a wood kit from the factory? if it is aftermarket id say carefully peel it off and get some sticky stuff remover for the glue, if you **** it up weorst case you have to buy a new set of ally ones off ebay.

Dan

marksan
04-08-2011, 05:53 PM
Hi Dan, and thanks for replying. Yes it is a kit, I can just see the original ally ones around the edges on the door panels and there is no quattro badge on the passenger dash side. I have tried picking at it but it is well stuck and pulls strongly on the ally below and i dont want to damage the fixings. It doesn't look too bad, just not my taste.

Guess i will try a bit of heat first and se if that softens it and failing that some solvents i guess. Fingers crossed

marksan
09-08-2011, 05:31 PM
ok, aftermarket interior wood effect trim now removed. thought i might add some tips if anyone else has to do it. This was the overlay, stick on type with a sticky foam back made by "sticky man" from sticky city.
Heat the surface of the overlay with an electric paint stripper gun, not for very long or there is a danger of collateral damage to other trim, this makes the resin pliable.
I used a teflon spatula to work behind the applied trim sort of cutting between the original ally trim and the adhesive. Teflon is best as it does not mark the ally and does not clog with the super sticky gunk. The resin needs to be periodically warmed as you work to keep it flexible and reduce strain on the trim fixtures.
Once all removed soft cloth and white spirit removes the adhesive residue (or xylene is quicker if you have it).
Worked a bloody treat for me, original ally looks like new, the aftermarket rubbish must have been put on early in the cars life.
Now i like my car even more....sounds a bit smug i know!

imitation wood should never be seen in cars, real wood should only be seen in Jaguars, Bentleys or Rolls Royces or a pre 1960 car in my humble opinion.