PDA

View Full Version : Air conditioning service ?

garboy1
04-08-2011, 12:54 AM
Hi looking for some advice my Golf 1.6 TDI SE is coming up to 2 years old I recieved a call from the local dealer saying my car was due an air conditioning service. Now the question is I have owned 2 previous new VW's and the AC was never serviced at 2 years or any other car I have had. I was told it was £79 and if I didnt do it this would affect my warranty if for example if the AC compressor packed up. Does anyone know what the service consists of ? Re-gas, changing of seals etc. In my experience if it is blowing cold air leave it alone ?
any advice on whether to get it done ?
By the way this is not included in the £250 service package I paid for. A bit of a shock when I thought this is all I needed to pay for 3 years motoring !

1.6 TDI SE Pearl Black 59 plate:zx11:

Berisford
04-08-2011, 08:35 AM
Just fishing for business, that's possibly one of the easiest ways to make £78!

Air con either works or it don't.

As for warranty issues, report to VW that your dealer is trying to extract monies with menaces for work not required as part of the service regime.

HHGTTG
04-08-2011, 09:15 AM
Hasn't the OP ever heard of advertising? I've had it, as have most VW customers, I would imagine.
The 'experts' do say that a certain amount of 'gas' is lost over time and a recharge, providing the system is sound, may be efficacious but in our climate and taking into account the cost, then I leave everything alone.
If problems occur during the warranty period, then they'll be fixed for free. However, according to VAG-COM my car's aircon doesn't have a fault, as no errors are shown.

-M-
04-08-2011, 08:17 PM
A full air con service will check there are no leaks in the system and will provide that there is enough refridgerant also - one of the main causes of ac failure is lower levels of refridgerant. Less gas means the compressor has to work harder to provide the colder temps and can lead to failures later in life. It should include changing the pollen filter if not done on your service.

There is also a a/c sanitiser carried out which gets rid of any bacteria that may have built up over any amount of time - this will not only leave it smelling fresher but will prevent you getting any germs etc - a worse case scenario is legionnaires disease but that is rare.

For £79 I would have it done

Hughesynights
05-08-2011, 08:27 AM
By the way this is not included in the £250 service package I paid for. A bit of a shock when I thought this is all I needed to pay for 3 years motoring !

It's not in the service package, because it doesn't need doing!

HHGTTG
05-08-2011, 08:41 AM
It's not in the service package, because it doesn't need doing!

Precisely.Common sense prevails.
Some people!! I don't know!

-M-
05-08-2011, 07:55 PM
More info here http://www.tuttsofdorking.co.uk/aircon.php

RickT
06-08-2011, 06:05 PM
Sounds like a dealer needs to get some cash flow in fe month end.

I would report the dealer to customer services for stating you have to have it or it voids the warranty .

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rhigour
06-08-2011, 07:08 PM
At my last service on previous Mk5 I was told I should have the A/C serviced , told them there was nothing wrong with it, chucked out cold air, emitted no nasty niffs and I didn't want them to touch it. Seems it it a creative ploy all dealers try on.

Rorry
20-08-2011, 12:00 AM
I was told it was £79 and if I didnt do it this would affect my warranty if for example if the AC compressor packed up.

No wonder people hate dealers - they really ought to be had up on a deception charge for that.

Gerryf
20-08-2011, 03:47 PM
Once your car is out of warranty you could consider using Kwikfit ?.....their services are cheaper and they charge you nothing if they can't reduce your a/c temp by 10%

http://www.kwik-fit.com/about-air-conditioning.asp

Gerryf
20-08-2011, 04:05 PM
Just to say I'm not too fond of Kwikfit.