PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Disable passenger airbag ?

DevilGateRider
01-08-2011, 10:31 PM
Hi guys. I guess this have been asked before but I couldn't find anything on the search.
My local VW dealer asks for around £80 to disable to airbag and then same price to enable it.... But I have been thinking of buying some tool anyway for my Passat and wonder if anyone know if it is safe and easy to fix this with a particular software or "OSD" kit that you can recommend ? Going to have a demon child soon and I want to have him/her in the front seat. Then on top of this it would be good to be able to switch it off and on in between when you are 2 adults in the front too.

My car is a PASSAT (3B) (II) manufactured 2002

All inputs on any item that can do this would be very nice!
Thanks in advance.

caldirun
02-08-2011, 06:09 PM
Hi guys. I guess this have been asked before but I couldn't find anything on the search.
My local VW dealer asks for around £80 to disable to airbag and then same price to enable it.... But I have been thinking of buying some tool anyway for my Passat and wonder if anyone know if it is safe and easy to fix this with a particular software or "OSD" kit that you can recommend ? Going to have a demon child soon and I want to have him/her in the front seat. Then on top of this it would be good to be able to switch it off and on in between when you are 2 adults in the front too.

My car is a PASSAT (3B) (II) manufactured 2002

All inputs on any item that can do this would be very nice!
Thanks in advance.
There is a switch fitted in the glovebox on later B5.5s look at the circuit diagrams and reproduce it!

DevilGateRider
02-08-2011, 06:54 PM
Aha. Do you know if it is visible when you look inside the glovebox or do I need to remove some of the interior ?

yaman
02-08-2011, 07:06 PM
reproduce it!

It would be a Demon Switch then LOL

Regards
Jim

DevilGateRider
02-08-2011, 07:08 PM
Haha you mean that red one that is on fire all the time, right =)

caldirun
02-08-2011, 08:36 PM
Aha. Do you know if it is visible when you look inside the glovebox or do I need to remove some of the interior ?
Very visible (I am not suggesting you have one in your 02, just that you may be able to wire one in!)

davlin
03-08-2011, 08:36 PM
In my 2005 B5 you just open the glove box and you can't miss it and you just insert the ignition key and turn too off. This also illuminates the airbag light at the center interior lights switch so you know that the air bag has been disabled.

DevilGateRider
03-08-2011, 10:30 PM
Thanks for all inputs guys! I do not have the one with key in mine so I will think about how I will proceed. One problems is also the insurance companies if something happens and I turn it of manually, at least in Sweden it could cause big problems so I guess I have to go the expensive but easy way and get it down to VW .... So thanks for all inputs! I will check the diagrams too soon and see how hard it would be!