PDA

View Full Version : 2000 A4 TDI turbo seized.

Arrrr Jimlad
27-07-2011, 08:06 PM
Long story short - my Brother's turbo oil feed pipe came adrift at the joint where it goes into the turbo. He drove far longer than he should have optimistically trying to get home.

When we looked at it and found the problem, I thought it would be a good idea to refill with oil to try and assess the damage. By holding the pipe in place by hand we were able to start and after some rather ominous sounding bottom end knock while the oil circulated, it quietened down enough to suggest it may not be a scrap engine.

However, it refused to rev...be suprised if it made 2000rpm. To me that suggests the turbo is seized - as would be expected. Could it be for another reason - ie limp mode?

Just hoping we'll get away with putting a secondhand turbo/oil pipe on it. Won't really know how the engine sounds till he can drive it again.

How likely is a turbo from a different year/engine code to fit? This is a AJM engine code which I believe is an early PD model. I'm guessing that's going to limit choices. Certainly looks different to my 96 tdi but it's located differently too so it's difficult for a layman like myself to tell.

adamss24
28-07-2011, 05:12 PM
The turbo is a gt1749v as fitted to the 90 bhp AHH engine,110Bhp AFN, AVG or AJM/ATJ 115 Bhp. I have a good engine complete with turbo if interested... Drop me a pm...