PDA

View Full Version : my quandry.... i want a disco

Eshrules
15-07-2007, 06:22 PM
No, not the dancing, singing 60's hippy kind of disco... im on about the one that roles on 4 wheels and bears the land rover badge :D

something like THIS (http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/CARS_popup.jsp?searchform=&modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&photo=1&state=none&sort=5&hassearched=Y&make=LAND+ROVER&min_pr=75&source=2&model=DISCOVERY&max_pr=7000&miles=40&agerange=&mileage=&postcode=sk14+4sh&variant=&bodyid=0&trim=&fuelid=0&colour=&transmissionid=0&keywords=&ukcarsearch_full.x=62&ukcarsearch_full.y=16&ukcarsearch_full=SEARCH&start=4&distance=2&adcategory=CARS&channel=CARS&id=200728291052868)

i've always liked my discoveries, my mum's had 2 before she got her terrano(which i refuse to like!) and i loved both of them.....

opinions pps :p

Ben
15-07-2007, 06:45 PM
Don't, IMO the turning circle is rubbish, poor mpg, uncomfy seats, higher running costs, heavy steering, aerodynamic properties of a brick.:p Aslo being tall it would cost more on the ferry should you go overseas.

Got one at work you see so i'm just listing the things i don't like.

Why would you need one? Just because you can or would you use it for a specific purpose? I fail to see the logic?:confused:

Weren't you looking at a passat the other day?

Eshrules
15-07-2007, 06:57 PM
Don't, IMO the turning circle is rubbish, poor mpg, uncomfy seats, higher running costs, heavy steering, aerodynamic properties of a brick.:p Aslo being tall it would cost more on the ferry should you go overseas.

Got one at work you see so i'm just listing the things i don't like.

Why would you need one? Just because you can or would you use it for a specific purpose? I fail to see the logic?:confused:

Weren't you looking at a passat the other day?

higher running costs wouldnt affect me, other than shoes and service parts, the rest would be fine.....

heavy steering? what disco have you driven? i drove my mums t plate GS auto and that was a beauty to drive, seats were comfortable and supportive and the cruise control was beautiful.

mpg is between 25/30 rather than the 35/40 on the golf, so not much of a difference really. considering i only do around 6k a year, it wouldnt really matter that much.....

why does logic have to come into play when buying a car? i had a fiat brava 1.2 sx before i got the golf, i leapt from paying £800 a year insurance, £60 every 6 months tax and £10 a week petrol to paying £1500 a year insurance, £99 every 6 months tax and £15/20 a week diesel (i also doubled my initial car loan payments from £105 a month)..... logic never really prevails in my car choices :p

i was looking at passat estates, but i've been bitten and once bitten, twice shy and all that.....

Ben
15-07-2007, 07:04 PM
AT work we have a 03 plate LR. Still, you did ask for opinions.;)

I too went from a 1.2 fiat to a golf tdi. But my costs didn't jump as much as your did. (guessing your a chunk younger than me);)

Eshrules
15-07-2007, 07:13 PM
AT work we have a 03 plate LR. Still, you did ask for opinions.;)

I too went from a 1.2 fiat to a golf tdi. But my costs didn't jump as much as your did. (guessing your a chunk younger than me);)

when you say LR, do you mean the freelander, disco, defender, RR? also, it depends on what spec you've got,the S for example has a crappy suspension setup compared to the ES or the G4/adventurer edition, with the addition of ACE to the higher end models, you'd feel like you were in a different car... i dont think SLS is fitted as standard either :Blush2:

im 22 ;)

Ben
15-07-2007, 07:36 PM
Its a 03 tdi discovery TD4

Eshrules
15-07-2007, 07:43 PM
Its a 03 tdi discovery TD4

:Blush2: cant be a Td4, they only used that lump in the freelander, Td5 or the newer Td6 mate ;) with it being an 03 model,i'd guess its a Td5

Ben
15-07-2007, 07:50 PM
Colud be, i don't pay that much attention to it.:D

Eshrules
15-07-2007, 08:01 PM
Colud be, i don't pay that much attention to it.:D

so how would you 'know' the suspension and handling were poo then :p

Ben
15-07-2007, 08:14 PM
unfortunately i have to drive it about form time to time. It does its fair share of off roading as well.

Fettler
15-07-2007, 08:20 PM
Go and get your self one Carl, you know how good they are.
I have a 300tdi 1995 and love it too bits, never lets me down and gets anyware I need to go. Tows my large caravan fully loaded with full length roofrack loaded with 4 mountain bikes to southern Spain with ease.
It is cool and TD5 with BMW engines are awesome.
Not to forget that Landrover is the only mark on the road that still has 70-80% of all vehicles produced still on the road.
Landrovers ROCK.:D :D

Eshrules
15-07-2007, 09:24 PM
Go and get your self one Carl, you know how good they are.
I have a 300tdi 1995 and love it too bits, never lets me down and gets anyware I need to go. Tows my large caravan fully loaded with full length roofrack loaded with 4 mountain bikes to southern Spain with ease.
It is cool and TD5 with BMW engines are awesome.
Not to forget that Landrover is the only mark on the road that still has 70-80% of all vehicles produced still on the road.
Landrovers ROCK.:D :D

300tdi.... you're talking my language ;) my mums old 300 was an argyle blue (that right?) 7 seater, with the mandatory knackered rear step (that never went up) lol.... uprated shocks on the back, took whatever we threw at it. i remember actually, the best time was (if you know my area) going up mottram deep cutting, with a 22 ft trailer, stacked 5 high of hay, must have been nearly 4 tonne on that trailer and the ruddy thing took it in its stride....

had a lot of fun in it offroading too till i got it stuck :Blush2:

the only thing that worrys me about getting a 300... is the tax :( what do you pay a year on that mate?

Sam
16-07-2007, 11:33 AM
Traitor.

Eshrules
16-07-2007, 11:46 AM
Traitor.

:Blush2: a very good argument, short but concise as always ;)

this is something i also need to consider, i love VAG but i love LR... its kinda like being with the love of your life and having paris hilton/(insert dream model here) offer it to you on a plate....

i am torn and unfortunaltey, i cant afford both :(

Veedubber
16-07-2007, 01:45 PM
the only thing that worrys me about getting a 300... is the tax :( what do you pay a year on that mate?

LESS than I pay for my Golf!!! Unless you're buying a brand spanker, you're looking at £175 a year tax.

I've had a 200tdi and a 300tdi and have driven, though not owned, one of these fancy new high fallootin td5 ones. The 200 was a few steps up from a tractor, the 300tdi far more refined and car like to drive. You won't fit in to multi storey car parks - believe me, I tried :Blush2:

I've also had a rr auto - had to take the fancy air suspension off and put proper strut suspension back on, but oh what a nice car! But for the LRs, they will get you out of anywhere and something I've done more than once is to tow other cars out. You have lo box should you need such a thing and I really don't imagine anyone ever has needed a diff lock unless they are proper off roading over boulders.

Not the fastest off the blocks, I have to say, but once towing a couple of tons, there isn't too much difference. The OH has one currently - a 300tdi. Funny sort of pale blue colour, slightly mod'd obviously.

Don't know too much about any newer ones - too poor - but they're a great car. And none of these stupid fault codes! Not in the old ones anyway - I expect they do have some in the newer ones nowadays.

Eshrules
16-07-2007, 02:38 PM
LESS than I pay for my Golf!!! Unless you're buying a brand spanker, you're looking at £175 a year tax.

I've had a 200tdi and a 300tdi and have driven, though not owned, one of these fancy new high fallootin td5 ones. The 200 was a few steps up from a tractor, the 300tdi far more refined and car like to drive. You won't fit in to multi storey car parks - believe me, I tried :Blush2:

I've also had a rr auto - had to take the fancy air suspension off and put proper strut suspension back on, but oh what a nice car! But for the LRs, they will get you out of anywhere and something I've done more than once is to tow other cars out. You have lo box should you need such a thing and I really don't imagine anyone ever has needed a diff lock unless they are proper off roading over boulders.

Not the fastest off the blocks, I have to say, but once towing a couple of tons, there isn't too much difference. The OH has one currently - a 300tdi. Funny sort of pale blue colour, slightly mod'd obviously.

Don't know too much about any newer ones - too poor - but they're a great car. And none of these stupid fault codes! Not in the old ones anyway - I expect they do have some in the newer ones nowadays.

unfortuntaley, the 300 is a dying breed, with me getting it on HP, it would have to be a TD5, which yes, would have the confounded EMS system, but with my contacts, getting a code reader wouldnt be difficult ;) i know a fair few of the common failures, head cylinders and gaskets were an issue on the early TD5's, as well as sloppy auto boxes and faulty diffs, apart from that though... not much touched them. if i was buying cash, 300 all the way, solid mechanics and as you say, next to no electronic gadgetrypokery :Blush2:

Veedubber
16-07-2007, 02:44 PM
unfortuntaley, the 300 is a dying breed, with me getting it on HP, it would have to be a TD5, which yes, would have the confounded EMS system, but with my contacts, getting a code reader wouldnt be difficult ;) i know a fair few of the common failures, head cylinders and gaskets were an issue on the early TD5's, as well as sloppy auto boxes and faulty diffs, apart from that though... not much touched them. if i was buying cash, 300 all the way, solid mechanics and as you say, next to no electronic gadgetrypokery :Blush2:

I'm assuming you're keeping the golf as well?! Cripes. A TD5 would be great but... whatcha want one for?

Veedubber
16-07-2007, 02:46 PM
I'm assuming you're keeping the golf as well?! Cripes. A TD5 would be great but... whatcha want one for?

Oh no :( Just realised it's one or the other! :( <shudder>

Eshrules
16-07-2007, 02:57 PM
Oh no :( Just realised it's one or the other! :( <shudder>

LOL i dont know why i want one, i've loved them since i had my first drive of one and seeing how little they fetch used is attractive.

just got off the phone to more than (poo) and it turns out they wont touch me full stop until im 25, but Quinn direct are quite happy to, in October when i have a years no claims :D so its wait and see for now again god :mad:

Veedubber
16-07-2007, 03:18 PM
LOL i dont know why i want one, i've loved them since i had my first drive of one and seeing how little they fetch used is attractive.

just got off the phone to more than (poo) and it turns out they wont touch me full stop until im 25, but Quinn direct are quite happy to, in October when i have a years no claims :D so its wait and see for now again god :mad:

Well you shouldn't be allowed to have youth and stuff you want. :aargh4: I have loved the discos I have had, but I wouldn't have one instead of my golf unless I needed to... I sort of have a slight issue with people having 4x4s for no reason whatsoever.

On the one hand, I very firmly believe in each to their own, and as a rule people should beable to do and have what they want (usual caveats about hurt or detriment to others). I have had 4x4s for years and years - sold the rr in January and bought the golf - for the past 12 years before that, I've run 4x4s. I needed one. 4x4 drivers get a very bad press, plus I paid out more for tax (I had NO idea the golf would be more!!!), running costs, fuel use, etc. I'm not sure what I'm trying to say - I think unless i needed one, I wouldn't have one. I loved the 200 and the 300 (ooh, I once had a series III briefly too) and oh the RR was lovely, but I needed something that was capable of towing 2300kg safely and so my choice was pretty limited. I wouldn't have had one, had I not needed to tow. I would have had some small sporty little number instead! I'm soooo gonna get snowed in next winter (with any luck!!!)

Eshrules
16-07-2007, 03:21 PM
Well you shouldn't be allowed to have youth and stuff you want. :aargh4: I have loved the discos I have had, but I wouldn't have one instead of my golf unless I needed to... I sort of have a slight issue with people having 4x4s for no reason whatsoever.

On the one hand, I very firmly believe in each to their own, and as a rule people should beable to do and have what they want (usual caveats about hurt or detriment to others). I have had 4x4s for years and years - sold the rr in January and bought the golf - for the past 12 years before that, I've run 4x4s. I needed one. 4x4 drivers get a very bad press, plus I paid out more for tax (I had NO idea the golf would be more!!!), running costs, fuel use, etc. I'm not sure what I'm trying to say - I think unless i needed one, I wouldn't have one. I loved the 200 and the 300 (ooh, I once had a series III briefly too) and oh the RR was lovely, but I needed something that was capable of towing 2300kg safely and so my choice was pretty limited. I wouldn't have had one, had I not needed to tow. I would have had some small sporty little number instead! I'm soooo gonna get snowed in next winter (with any luck!!!)

i see your point and yes, it may well turn out i decide against it, but i still want one :( it may happen that i upgrade the golf to a newer 130 and buy a cheap disco for off roading :Blush2:

but looking at golfs, id pay around £7k for an 02/03 plate 130 gt with approx 65/70k on the clock, not a bad price i guess :Blush2:

the missus is trying to insist i keep my baby and just do what i want to do to it, but im a little concerned about its age........

im 22, i have money and little commitment, its a cocktail for disaster :(

dwodr
16-07-2007, 05:47 PM
I would get one, the wife has got a td5 and it is a great car.

Eshrules
16-07-2007, 06:06 PM
I would get one, the wife has got a td5 and it is a great car.

can i ask, what sort of mpg do you get around town? around 20mpg?

bora(ing) nick
16-07-2007, 06:16 PM
im 22, i have money and little commitment, its a cocktail for disaster :(

LOL, ditto...

I was looking at Evo's (vii/viii) about a month back.... I'm still gonna get 1, but i'm doing around 2k miles a month at the moment working away in Anglesey...

That means i'd have to get it serviced every 2 months :( .

i'm not going to throw money away on a car.... if i wanted to do that i'd of bought a Ford :biglaugh: , lol.

Nick

Eshrules
16-07-2007, 06:23 PM
LOL, ditto...

I was looking at Evo's (vii/viii) about a month back.... I'm still gonna get 1, but i'm doing around 2k miles a month at the moment working away in Anglesey...

That means i'd have to get it serviced every 2 months :( .

i'm not going to throw money away on a car.... if i wanted to do that i'd of bought a Ford :biglaugh: , lol.

Nick

you only live once ;) although agreed on the ford front :approve:

dwodr
16-07-2007, 06:25 PM
Usually if the wife drives it about 35 mpg, if i use it about 25 mpg, but good fun off road and extremely good for towing.

Eshrules
16-07-2007, 06:29 PM
Usually if the wife drives it about 35 mpg, if i use it about 25 mpg, but good fun off road and extremely good for towing.

thats better than ive been reading then..... 25/30 is bearable :)

im well aware of their towing power, i've seen the weights some of them pull :Blush2:

will have to wait me thinks till my no claims is earnt and then see which way the wind is blowing :(

Captain Answer
18-07-2007, 01:40 AM
I had one before my RR, fantastic piece of kit but plumped for a Range Rover as i prefer its looks. Same cars with diff bodies on anyho

Ben
21-07-2007, 01:04 AM
Although in my earlier post in this thread i don't rave about my works disco, it got my out the **** today. 4ft deep water? No problem. Once through, open doors, let water out. I have a video too. For another thread though.

onzarob
21-07-2007, 07:24 AM
t
will have to wait me thinks till my no claims is earnt and then see which way the wind is blowing :(

You Youngsters are a ficckle lot, no comitment. ;)