PDA

View Full Version : Keyless Access

billuk
21-07-2011, 11:32 AM
Has anyone got keyless access. I thought it would open the tailgate on my estate if I wave my foot under the bumper but it doesn't. VW have told my dealer I need the electric tailgate for this to work. Electric tailgate wasn't available when I ordered my car in January 2011 plus all the reviews I have read say this feature comes with keyless access. Is this another VW fob-off?

walker77
21-07-2011, 12:59 PM
Don't have it yet Bill but have ordered (2 weeks until delivery) a saloon with keyless entry. I'm expecting it to have the boot opening trick. Heard no mention of either the saloon or the estate needing an electronic tailgate. but it does make sense as I can imagine standing close to an estate to get your foot under the bumper, the tailgate would swing out and potentially hit you before you could step back out the way with your boxes in hand. therefore a slow releasing electronic tailgate would make sense.

Saying that, if it is required, the dealer should know this and not have to be told by VW that an additional option has to be specced.

The Fingers
21-07-2011, 03:35 PM
wavvy foot thing works on saloon but not estate.

mine is just an SE with manual key entry - wavvy foot thing is a no no for me. I can press the centre button on the remote through my jeans pocket and it pops open. its a gimmik!!!!

i think the reasoning on the estate is due to the fact that if you waved your foot under with hand full of bags and the car is close to a wall the boot lid may hit. The standard button opening will only disengage the lock on an estate but saloon will spring fully open.

billuk
21-07-2011, 03:53 PM
Can understand what your saying Fingers but the manual shows the wavvy foot thing - they call it easy open. I'm not too fussed about it but if it should be there then it should be there

The Fingers
22-07-2011, 09:50 AM
the auto spring loaded boot opening is nothing new really, it was fitted to the B6 albeit with no sensor under the rear bumper. You had a switch on the key and drivers door (same as B7)

The point is this never worked on the estates of the B6 and the standard issue item on the B7 will only fully open a saloon boot. There are people out there who's button inside the car on an estate actually did nothing. Thinking about more and you can see the logic behind it. if you are stood behind the car close enough to wave your foot under the bumper and then the boot springs open, it could if close enough to a wall pin you by the neck to said wall. Where theres blame theres a claim and we have all seen 'Final Destination'

This is not like the tire pressure issues on the new B7 where something has gone wrong at build and the tire pressues are not showing when they should be.

This is something you will have to live with as its never going to do what the brochures say it will. it will not fully open an estate boot when waving your foot under the bumper. I know the brochure and adverts say it will but hey perhaps VW need to proof read the brochures a little more before publishing them.

I am 6000 miles in on mine now and still cant find much fault with it. Apart from the very unforgiving clutch on the 6 speed / 2.0 140 tdi. I think i have stalled this car more in 4 months than all others cars i have had put together.

The manuals are very generic to the world model showing every option available, even though most are not even fitted with the parts to do the job. Mine shows wavvy foot access to the boot but its not even fitted as an option. It also shows controls for the dual zone climate control which is not fitted, the list goes on!

D4D
22-07-2011, 11:48 AM
Apart from the very unforgiving clutch on the 6 speed / 2.0 140 tdi. I think i have stalled this car more in 4 months than all others cars i have had put together.

I second this !! though imo I don't think its the clutch, It's the gearing.

My previous car was a Volvo 2.0d it had, quite literally, "go in any gear". I could quite easily set off in second gear. Regardless of what gear you were in at whichever speed it would pull away. The difference between it and the Passat is immediatly noticeble, as is the other main difference - the fuel economy. The Volvo averaged 43.72mpg over its time with me, the Passat is going to easily beat this, with 3k on the clock it's averaging 51mpg, on motorway runs I'm easily seeing 60mpg.

The gear ratio's are a lot taller in the VW, meaning the torque isn't going to cover for lazy driving, i find that you have to be in the "right" gear, nearly all of my stalls have been at jogging pace in 2nd gear, more clutch slippage needed :)

The Fingers
22-07-2011, 12:37 PM
I second this !! though imo I don't think its the clutch, It's the gearing.

My previous car was a Volvo 2.0d it had, quite literally, "go in any gear". I could quite easily set off in second gear. Regardless of what gear you were in at whichever speed it would pull away. The difference between it and the Passat is immediatly noticeble, as is the other main difference - the fuel economy. The Volvo averaged 43.72mpg over its time with me, the Passat is going to easily beat this, with 3k on the clock it's averaging 51mpg, on motorway runs I'm easily seeing 60mpg.

The gear ratio's are a lot taller in the VW, meaning the torque isn't going to cover for lazy driving, i find that you have to be in the "right" gear, nearly all of my stalls have been at jogging pace in 2nd gear, more clutch slippage needed :)

Thinking about it more i think you are right - gearing is a major factor. First is very short and then second and third are really long.

The old PD lumps did feel like they would go in any gear, this doesn't like setting off in second unless you slip the sh*t out of the clutch.

Most of my stalls have been either in second or third when at a snails pace. Good thing is you just dip the clutch and the start stop kicks in to restart engine. Not like the B6 where you had to ***** about with the key for 5 seconds.

I am a 3 year DSG veteran so it took a while to get used to the manual again, it seems i am just like a DSG cant make mind up which gear i shouldn't be in.

Second gear starts are spot on when you use the full revs dump clutch method :firedevil
Stalling a diesel to me was prettyy much unheard of until this one!!!

walker77
04-08-2011, 01:52 PM
Just taken delivery of mine. Very impressed so far!

THe keyless entry works on the doors and starting the car up but the boot opening has me stumped!

It might be because it's wet (the manual does mention it may not work when wet/salty conditions) but I can't see any sensors under the bumper or at shin level. My neighbours must wonder why i am trying to kick my car so much!

ANy thoughts anyone?

Scott

The Fingers
04-08-2011, 02:36 PM
Just taken delivery of mine. Very impressed so far!

THe keyless entry works on the doors and starting the car up but the boot opening has me stumped!

It might be because it's wet (the manual does mention it may not work when wet/salty conditions) but I can't see any sensors under the bumper or at shin level. My neighbours must wonder why i am trying to kick my car so much!

ANy thoughts anyone?

Scott

Estate or saloon

saloon should work

estate i dont think it ever will!!!!!

walker77
12-08-2011, 02:05 PM
Mines a saloon - so i thought it should work - until I got the following.....have I been mis-sold? It's a company car but I opted for the keyless entry because of the convenience opening - so I'm paying through tax and contribution for something that doesnt work!!

"Dear Mr Walker
Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding the functionality of your New Passat. Please accept my apologies for the delay in my response.
I can confirm that the easy opening function of the boot on the New Passat is not an option which is currently available. This is the reason why it cannot be activated on your vehicle; we hope to introduce this function to UK specification models from early next year. I am sincerely sorry for any disappointment that this may cause and I apologise that this was not explained to you at the point of sale.
Thank you for contacting Volkswagen UK.
Yours sincerely

Customer Enquiry Advisor
Volkswagen Group
Customer Service Centre"