PDA

View Full Version : Buying VAG COM from RossTech- Customs Charge?

Loofer
14-07-2007, 11:22 PM
Just waiting for my credit card to come through then I'm going to purchase full version of VAG COM with HEX CAN USB from RosTech.

Question is... can I expect to be hit with customs/handling charge?
The most likley answer is yes. I'd like to know how much I can expect.

The cable is $399 which equates to around £175. Theres official distributors in the UK selling them for £260.

Theres other distributors globally. Anybody know if it might work out cheaper if I bought them from there?
I don't know if the UK import duty is a flat rate no matter where you buy the goods from or weather it varies from country to country. I know theres a different tariff depending on the of goods.

Crasher
15-07-2007, 12:01 AM
With the propensity for VAG-COM cables to fail (I have had four complete failures now in the last six years or so) I would not recommend buying it from the US. I have just had a cable fail last week and have returned it for repair (hopefully as out of the last three to fail all three were write off's, just out of warranty each time!!!!) and this one was bought in the UK from Ilexa so it makes life easier. Hopefully it is repairable as this one is just out of warranty too. If I was into conspiracy theories I would say failure is programed in as four times is more than a coincidence. The common denominator in the failure is the cars they were plugged into when they failed all had aftermarket radios. RosTech say their interfaces are protected against this problem but I am being to wonder. I think the software is fantastic but I am not convinced about the hardware.

dessimpson
15-07-2007, 12:15 AM
I was thinking of buying one of these but after what you've just said i think I'll give it a miss!! I've got no problems with my car (other than the wipers!!) so i don't think I'll buy one till i get a definite problem!!

Prob going to sell the car soon anyway :confused:

onzarob
15-07-2007, 07:48 AM
A few software items I have bought recently have charged vat at purchase. so don't assume that price is correct for uk delivery.

Www.gendan.co.uk have good uk prices.