PDA

View Full Version : Question A4 Overheating

nema0825
14-07-2011, 03:56 PM
Hi Ive got a 1996, 1.8T petrol Auto, Yesterday i noticed the temperature rise to about 110 and lost water via the expansion tank, i managed to get home slowly, The only thing is i cant work out why? i have refilled the expansion tank and made sure there is water at the heater hose hole for venting air from system, when the car is idling it sits at approx 95 Degrees but when you drive it it goes to about 110, ive rang Audi for advice to no Avail can anybody help

adamss24
15-07-2011, 12:47 AM
Spinning plastic impeller on the water pump, replace the water pump with a quality metal one...

nema0825
16-07-2011, 11:12 AM
Thanks did have an inckling and thanks for confirming it, stripped it down and hey presto spinning on its spline

nema0825
19-07-2011, 07:24 PM
Hi ive changed the pump but car seems to take longer than before to regiter in getting to temperature what is the nominal length of time

green A8
19-07-2011, 09:07 PM
From one extreme to the other? Am I correct in assuming that after a while the engine get's up to normal temp? Could it be that your new water pump is doing a better job than the old one was?

Kind regards.

Paul.

nema0825
19-07-2011, 10:06 PM
I did think that was the case, But i was told by an Audi mechanic that originally the head gasket might have gone, there was more evidence that it was the water pump than the Head gasket though, now its stuck in the back of my mind, just fishing for ideas to get my confidence in the car back. Thanks for your reply much apprecited.

vince70
20-07-2011, 05:55 PM
Only time will tell, If you dont have any mayonnaise in the expansion tank or on the oil filler cap then I wouldn't worry to much, is it using much oil or water or running lumpy,
My girlfriend burst a hose on a bmw mini and my brother on a new corsa the other week and both had run out of water and the heaters both stopped working they both nearly cooked the engines but both cars are still fine, so It sounds like you caught it in time, and an Audi is far better than any mini or Vauxhall so I cant see you should have much trouble.
I hope there isn't any mini or Vauxhall owners on here lol.