PDA

View Full Version : Cambelt change

SMEG
14-07-2007, 01:08 PM
Hi, i have a 2003 Passat tdi PD100 which has done 32000 miles and will be four years old in September.
Can anyone tell me if i should change the cambelt at four years or wait a little longer?

golf tdi 02
14-07-2007, 02:14 PM
i think they are good for three years or 60k miles whichever comes first
i hope this helps if you are in doubt then ask main dealer for advise but i recomed to get changed buy a local garage
rich...
;)

SMEG
14-07-2007, 04:11 PM
i think they are good for three years or 60k miles whichever comes first
i hope this helps if you are in doubt then ask main dealer for advise but i recomed to get changed buy a local garage
rich...
;)
Thanks for that

Eshrules
14-07-2007, 06:01 PM
just to correct... its 60 k or 4 years, whichever comes first, therefore yours is due mate :beerchug:

Gurdeep
14-07-2007, 08:28 PM
hi new member a mate of mine looked in his book of cambelts and it states the cam belt change should be done at 120k the vw user manual states 110k or 180km

Eshrules
14-07-2007, 10:27 PM
hi new member a mate of mine looked in his book of cambelts and it states the cam belt change should be done at 120k the vw user manual states 110k or 180km

ignore that though.... various technical bulletins have been released prior to the printing of the manual.

current VW advice is 60k or 4 years, whichever comes first.

leaving it until 120k is an extremely risky thing to do :beerchug:

Crasher
15-07-2007, 12:12 AM
VAG have now changed their mind and it is 4 years without exception, mileage being immaterial unless it exceeds 60K in four years in which case mileage comes first. Please don't cut corners, have the water pump replaced (a genuine unit makes good sense as if it fails in warranty, VW will do the work for free) and make sure a top quality kit is used such as from INA or genuine. If your engine has the friction damped adjuster, the job is much easier tan the pain in the bottom hydraulic type where it can take a hour just to achieve a perfect 4-mm tensioner gap.

golf tdi 02
16-07-2007, 08:26 AM
in my opinion id rather change a belt at 3years old than ooppss your belt has just snapped at four years.
i drive my car hard and think that three winters are long enough for a belts life including the tensioner and the roller.
a cambelt change was done on a 54 plate golf on friday the miles on the clock was 30k it was a precautionary change.
as the old belt was taken off the roller fell to bits the belt was keeping it going so you can make your own mind up

only my opinion
rich...

:beerchug::beerchug:

Crasher
16-07-2007, 09:43 AM
I agree with changing the belt more often on a hard driven PDTDI as the belt has a lot of load applied to it and the tensioners are notorious for failure but we have to draw the line somewhere when it comes to advising customers, if they ask for a job to be done that’s a different matter. If we started recommending a belt change at three years, regardless of mileage, people would accuse us of trying to rip people off so we stick to the new intervals. One that did upset me though, last week I had to recommend we changed the belt on a 99 Octavia 1.4 owned by a really nice elderly gentleman, a pensioner, as it had never been done. What upset me was the car had done eight thousand miles from new and the belt/tensioner/water pump were perfect when removed. The only reason we did it was he was shown the new VAG recommendation leaflet and agreed that if we didn't recommend it, and it then failed, we would be responsible for the damage/

SMEG
16-07-2007, 11:55 AM
Just spoken to my local main dealer asking if they changed my cambelt for a new one after changing the water pump at 14K Dec 2005 after an underheating problem, and they told me they had not.
Even though it was a warranty repair you would have thought that they would have given me the option of paying for a new belt which would have saved me the £360 they want for doing the job now.

Crasher
16-07-2007, 12:03 PM
That was beyond stupid of them, absolutely bonkers! Saying that though, the VAG manual ELSA recommends that is what you do if there is service life left in the belt.

Eshrules
16-07-2007, 12:04 PM
Just spoken to my local main dealer asking if they changed my cambelt for a new one after changing the water pump at 14K Dec 2005 after an underheating problem, and they told me they had not.
Even though it was a warranty repair you would have thought that they would have given me the option of paying for a new belt which would have saved me the £360 they want for doing the job now.

2 things you said there :Blush2:

main dealer and saving you money.... doesnt happen :(

SMEG
16-07-2007, 12:29 PM
That was beyond stupid of them, absolutely bonkers! Saying that though, the VAG manual ELSA recommends that is what you do if there is service life left in the belt.

Just got a quote from local independent who will do the belt plus tensioners and water pump for £320.( pump has metal impeller instead of plastic).

The independent told me they have not had a Passat in with failed belt under 60k to date but obviously cannot advise against changing at four years.

Main dealer did'nt ask if i wanted the pump replacing which would mean the new belt could run another 60k, but pump will have done 74k and risk failure.
Is common sense and technical expertise taught in VW Training Schools?

MARDS8
16-07-2007, 07:55 PM
Get The Belt Checked Out That Is The Only Way To Confirm Vw Recomend Check Every 20k Replace If Required. Dont Forget To Change Tensioner And Any Guide Rollers As Well As They Have Done The Same Mileage, I Have A Seat Alhambra With 174k Miles On Same Engine Gearbox (poss Gone Today) And Head Gasket From New. Cam Belt And Rollers Are Changed Every 36k Regardless Of Condition. Why Scrimp On A Few £s When It Is Your Engine At Stake Its Up To You £200+ Or £3,000+

SMEG
17-07-2007, 05:43 PM
You're right of course, i have booked it in for the 27th July.
I used to have a 1.8 20v 2000 model which VW said required changing at 80,000 miles with no age limit, and this is a higher revving engine.
This belt was changed at 76,000 miles no problem.

MARDS8
18-07-2007, 12:56 AM
Hi Smeg Glad You Listend To Reason Its Always Best. I Just Like To Know How Much They Will Charge You For Cam Belt Replacement With Said Tensioner And Rollers. By The Way The Seat Got Repaired Today It Gave Me A Fright As I Thought The Gear Box Was Knackerd But After Some Frantic Spannering Of My Own Fair Hand It Was Repaired For Just £10. I Was So Happy, Of Course That Means 174k Miles Still Going Strong On Original Gearbox,engine,clutch & Head Gasket. I Want To Get At Least 250k With No Major Faults.

golf tdi 02
18-07-2007, 10:39 AM
and i wish you the best to get to 250k my mate

its a vw of course :beerchug::beerchug:

diesel nut
18-07-2007, 10:58 AM
i bet you a fiver that it does ;)

rik

diesel nut
18-07-2007, 10:59 AM
ok your on keep us posted then

:beerchug::beerchug:

diesel nut
18-07-2007, 11:00 AM
fiver and a pint ok

rich..

golf tdi 02
18-07-2007, 11:02 AM
huummmm ok fiver and a pint then ;)

SMEG
18-07-2007, 06:20 PM
It probably will if you stay away from the ******** mate!
£320 quoted for belt, rollers and pump by the way at JBS Autodesign in Chesterfield.

golf tdi 02
23-07-2007, 02:08 PM
ask dave in his audi a4 cab 2,5 tdi on how many miles a cambelt will do and thats his answer

gook luck

SMEG
29-07-2007, 03:58 PM
Hi MARDS8,
just had the belt,rollers water pump and coolant changed at JBS Autodesign in Chesterfield using VAG parts for £320.
Thanks again for your advice!

Loofer
29-07-2007, 07:00 PM
H'mm, £320 seems a bit steep (though cheap compared to *******s). I'm assuming JBS Autodesign is the type of place that does upgrades and mods etc..

I've had a quote from my local garage who does my MOT and Servicing. He charges £35/hr labour and said it was upt 2hr job including rollers and water pump. The parts I'm guessing will propbably cost upto £75. So I would be looking at £150 for a cambelt change.

cbrpaul
30-07-2007, 10:56 AM
It also depends if you have to remove the front end or not to get at the cambelt !!!!