PDA

View Full Version : Guides on Oil Change

redtony
14-07-2007, 12:31 PM
Is there any guides on oil change for a BORA TDI.. would like to have a go myself as i used to change the oil on my 106 GTI all the time.

Is there some sort of plastic cover under the car that needs taking off too, havent had a propper look under the car yet.

thanks in advance

Stevef.
15-07-2007, 07:53 AM
Hi heres a brief version

Gather all the stuff you need ready ,correct oil especially important on PDs oil filter, empty container a few rags, then take the car for a 15-20min drive to get it warmed up.

1.Raise the front of the car, remove the 10 or 12 screws holding the large plastic service plate on, carefully unscrew the sump plug and let the oil drain into your container.

2.Pop the bonnet ,remove the dipstick then the plastic engine cover, take off the oil filler cap this will help the oil drain faster.

3.Wrap a rag around the oil filter housing below the cap and slowly unscrew the cap, once unsrewed remove and place on a rag, have something at hand to put the oily old filter in and remove the old filter.

4.Clean as much of the old oil out of the housing as you can and clean the filter cap, remove the old orings and fit the new ones to the cap if you got them with the filter, then fit the new filter the correct way up replace the filter cap.

5.Give the sump a quick clean and refit the sump plug, you can refit the service cover now if you`re confident all is ok.

6.Refit the filler cap to stop any dirt getting in while you now refit the engine cover, clean and refit the dipstick, remove the filler cap again and fill with the correct amount of oil less say 1/2 a litre use the dipstick as a guide.

7.Drop the car back to the floor and recheck the level again using the dipstick clean the dipstick every time you remove it.

8.When you`re happy level is ok take the car for a 5min easy drive, let it sit for 5 then check the level again.;)

herby0001
15-07-2007, 08:21 AM
Am I right in saying that once you have raised the front of the car (assuming the car was on level ground to start with), the drain hole on the sump will no longer be the lowest point? This would mean your nice new oil will be instantly dirtier that it should be when you refill the system.

TBH, not changed oil on a MK4, but have done so on many several other makes of cars and they all needed to be on level ground for the oil to drain completely. :beerchug:

Stevef.
15-07-2007, 10:02 AM
Maybe you`re right, but when you do an oil change do you really expect to get every last drop out anyway, you only need to raise the front enough to get underneath, its not like the car is sitting at 45 degrees or anything like that and the sump plug still does look like the lowest point, there could still be pockets in the engine where oil could be trapped though as i`d imagine there would be even with the car on the flat if you want to be predantic you could raise the rear of the car aswell to get it level, its just more hassle though unless you have access to a lift, i had done a more detailed post but it took me to long to type it and i had been automatically logged off so my post got lost.:D

Col
15-07-2007, 11:04 AM
On the Golf / Bora, raising the front will lower the sump lug as it is at the rear of the sump, so in theory more oil should come out.

However the problem with the PD engine with regard to getting all the oil out is that the oil filter / cooler housing holds about a 1/4 of a litre of oil which does not come out when you drop the oil out via the sump. For that reason, as well as it being far easier, I use a Pella oil extractor pump which vacuums the oil out of the sump via the dipstick tube. It also allows you to get most of that 1/4 litre out of the oil filter housing as well.

Saying that, within the engine there are numerous nooks and cranies where oil sits that does not come out and upon changing the oil, it goes black straight away anyway.

Lex Luthor
15-07-2007, 11:17 AM
However the problem with the PD engine with regard to getting all the oil out is that the oil filter / cooler housing holds about a 1/4 of a litre of oil which does not come out when you drop the oil out via the sump. For that reason, as well as it being far easier, I use a Pella oil extractor pump which vacuums the oil out of the sump via the dipstick tube. It also allows you to get most of that 1/4 litre out of the oil filter housing as well.

50p turkey baster works fine for removing the oil from the filter housing

Col
15-07-2007, 11:36 AM
50p turkey baster works fine for removing the oil from the filter housing

I'm sure it does, except you would not be able to get down into the cooler with one as the orafice is narrow and about 5" deep to the lowest point.

With a Pella you can do an oil change without having to get under the car, in fact you don't even need to kneel down! VW suck the oil out this way and so I've heard some BMW's these days do not even have a sump plug!

I do between 30 and 40 miles a year and insisting on changing my oil at 5k intervals, the Pella makes my life a lot easier. If your doing less miles it may not be economical to get one as you only have to get under the car two or three times a year but with me, it is every 6-8 weeks.

Saying that, they are only about £40.

redtony
19-07-2007, 12:08 PM
going to buy some oil today, i can go to any places like GSF or anywhere for it
my boras not a PD its 1.9 TDI 90bhp 1999. which oil is best ? 5-40 i was looking to get or 5-30

redtony
19-07-2007, 12:36 PM
also how much oil needs to go in in litres, cheers peeps

Stevef.
19-07-2007, 07:41 PM
Redtony,
dont just rush out and get any oil ,it needs needs to be oil for a diesel engine,try to get something thats Vw approved and meets the specs for your car or at least get a recommendation from someone whos used an oil before and had no problems ,as for amount its 4.5 litres with filter put about 4 in and check the level on the dipstick use the dipstick to get it to correct level.;)

redtony
21-07-2007, 12:27 PM
allright lads, i bought some " castrol magnatec diesel 10w-40 part synthetic "

is this stuff decent?

also is there ANY video guides chaning oil on BORA or even GOLF as there the same arent they?

cheers, need quick reply as might change oil in a sec

Stevef.
21-07-2007, 01:23 PM
Yeah I`d put that in my car i`m sure that it will be up to the job.

redtony
22-07-2007, 08:16 PM
went undercar but jack that came with Bora hasnt raised it high enough for me. Will take to a garage only £15 for change and watch so I know how to myself. While im there bang it on there VAG machine ( free )

Also my done a test hard braking and ABS doesnt seem to be working, wheels lock up and get like a feel like a hard stoney type on the brake pedel. Could be ABS sensors? how much they cost

ta for info in this thread

Loofer
22-07-2007, 09:36 PM
Sensors dont cost much, about £25 -£30 each, maybe cheaper on Fleabay. I believe the back ones are the same where as the front are different for each side. Apparently they are easier to change.

If its your ABS pump... uff. Thats expensive, though this site here http://ecu-testing.com/vw_passat_bosch_abs_pump_ecu_m.html
will rebuild your own for only £100 and it includes 2 year warranty. You just have to post it to them and they turn it around in 2-3 days. Bare in mind upto 3 weeks postal disruption are due to start this Wednesday. I can't say I've used them myself. Maybe another forum member can vouch for them.

As for testing/diagnosing the sensors and pump using VAG COM... try this site
http://www.vagcom.co.uk/vagcom_demo.html

hope that helps