PDA

View Full Version : pre remap mods for a3 AUM

markeyboy
10-07-2011, 06:33 PM
hi
i am looking into getting my a3 1.8t remaped, ideally i would like it around the 220 mark, but i want to make sure that i will be getting the best results i can from the remap

i have fitted a pipercross panel filter already and have a 3" downpipe with decat that i am looking to fit, im aware of the legality issues, but will the car throw up faults due to there being a pre and a post cat lamdba sensor?

is it worth looking into front mount intercoolers or will the origional one be sufficient?

are there any other areas that i should pay attention too?

A3.20vt
11-07-2011, 08:25 PM
I was running pretty much exactly the same set up just with cold air induction similar to the K&N typhoon kits. Worked very well! . . until I rolled it :'-(

The lack of cat will throw up an engine management light until you get it mapped but they can delete the second lambda when you get it map. I drove around for a week or so with the engine management light on and it didnt seem to go into any sort of extreme limp mode, was just a bit down on power.

If you're still running the standard turbo you'll see little to know advantage of getting a front mount, not worth the money or hassle. And the AUM has the advantage of some sort of variable valve timing as well so will see about 220 if mapped when standard. I think this set up will easily see 240 and the 3” down pipe + decat will give you oodles of low down power and help the little k03 spool up nice a quickly!

Hope this helps. . . Have fun! >-)

markeyboy
12-07-2011, 11:08 PM
cheers for that,

i have been having a little look around the forum and came across 007p diverter valves, is it worth fitting one of these or trying to get hold of the bosch equivilant for the 225tt?

Crasher
12-07-2011, 11:40 PM
220 is pushing it on an AUM with the original turbo, any more than a genuine 210 and thy start to surge.

A3.20vt
13-07-2011, 09:17 PM
What exactly do you mean by surge? i've never heard anyone say that before. If by "surge" you mean "punched in the face with torque as soon as the turbo spools up" then yes, that is exactly what happens... me? never saw that as a problem!

Crasher
14-07-2011, 10:56 AM
Compressor surge is a phenomenon that has affected turbines of all sorts (especially centrifugal compressors) since day one and it happens on the KO3S (in my experience) if you push them too far. The result is that the car can pulse under acceleration, mine does it (AUQ engine so same thing as an AUM) if I run the highest power map, not so bad on the lower map, keep it around 210PS and it will be fine.

markeyboy
14-07-2011, 11:32 AM
is surge somthing that can cause damage to the engine and associated parts or is it more of a comfort issue?

would it be worth me going for a custom remap or going for a company like amd for one of their generic maps

Crasher
14-07-2011, 01:23 PM
It is just irritating. I have an APR generic at the momment.

A3.20vt
14-07-2011, 09:58 PM
I appreciate your opinion and enlightening me on the phenomenon of surging but with pretty much this exact set up it was not anything i've ever experienced. is it possible the 3" down pipe and de cat smooths the flow of exhaust gasses eliminating this "surging"?

Anyway markeyboy... i ran this set up for over 50k miles with no problem on a stage 2 map from AMD in essex, which is conveniently close for you! if you ask me, fill your boots and go the whole shebang! It'll be interesting to see if you do experience any of this surging crasher talks of but i think you'll be fine.

Let us know how you get on mate

markeyboy
14-07-2011, 10:30 PM
yea they are really close, about 3 miles lol, been there a coupple of times and had a chat with them about getting the allroad i had mapped, should really pop down and see them again,

what figures do you get from the stage 2 map? there is not alot on their website about it

Crasher
14-07-2011, 10:31 PM
Yes a large bore cat and down pipe can help, I am on a standard system right the way through.

A3.20vt
14-07-2011, 11:14 PM
I've no idea of my actual power out put as i never did a rolling road sesh with em. The results of a stage 2 map will really depend on the mods carried out prior, for example a 3" down pipe + decat would see far better results than just a cat back system or indeed a sports cat.

Give em a call or pop in and have a chat. as you know they're very helpful blokes there

markeyboy
23-08-2011, 04:15 PM
Iv decided to do a coupple more mods before I get the map done, iv got a turborevs side mount intercooler on the way, as I have read some really positive reviews on them, and I wanted to keep the front looking pretty sleeper-ish ie no front mount

Iv also been told that the induction hose from the air box to the turbo can be pretty restrictive, so I'm on the lookout for a silicone replacement for this too, will one fro
A golf fit or is it specific to the a3?

I have also come across the collarado outlaw airbox mod, basically running some cold air feeds into the bottom of the airbox to the front of the car, is this worth doing?