PDA

View Full Version : A6 Xenon Upgrade ??? Want to replace my halogen units with xenons anyone know what is needed

powermad1
09-07-2011, 04:30 PM
As per title i have halogen headlights on my a6 and have aquired a set of xenon complete headlights with ballasts.
are these units just simple plug and play or do i need to change wiring etc.

any help would be great.

Crasher
09-07-2011, 07:51 PM
To be legal they must have self levelling and headlight pressure jet wash. Kufatec can help with this conversion. The CAN BUS unit needs to be reprogrammed to enable proper communications.

joshA6
11-07-2011, 04:11 PM
It is qute costly and needs a fair bit of technical and electrical knowhow.

As crasher sad, the actual Xenon retrofit is easy as you can buy a loom from Kufatec to convert from halogens. However, as he said, in order for the Xenons to be road legal in the UK, you have to have autmatic headlamp leveliing ad washer jets (which is why these are bundled altogether when you check the options box for Xenon).

To do the headlamp washer, you will need:

A new bumper with cut outs for the washers (you cannot cut your old bumper) - you will need an S line one probably as I have not seen many Se's with this option
A a second pump for the headlight washer bottle for the headlamp wash
Tubing to pipe the fluid to the pumps
2 jets (one for each side)
2 lift cylinders to actuate the jets
2 headlamp washer covers
You will also need to wire in the new pump to the central convenience module and reprogram the car so that it has this option (otherwise the washers will come on everytime you do the windscreen and will soon empty the washer bottle)

After recovering form the easy mod above (LOL), the headlamp leevllling is even harder. Essentially, you need a new controller that controls the headlamp aim via sensors on the front and rear suspension of the car. Kit required includes:

2 sensors and actuating arms for front/rear suspension
Headlight controller module
wiring loom (if one exists)
wiring into the central convenience module and recoding to tell the car it has autolevel headlights
wiring to each headlight control motor to actually adjust the motor.

Of the 2, the second one is time consuming and probably not worth the effort.

You may be tempted just to stick the lights in ignore the above, but remember you will have no way of adjusting them (manually or automatically).

How much did the lights cost you?

joshA6
11-07-2011, 04:13 PM
Oh, and each factory Xenon headlight has it's own separate controller if you follow the workshop manual.

Crasher
11-07-2011, 10:58 PM
As crasher sad

A comprehensive answer, thank you, and yes I am sad…:D

powermad1
11-07-2011, 11:12 PM
The lights are only £150 for the pair from a friend who has them left over from a a6 he used to repair his s6 and thought for 150 i would enquire into the difficulty of swapping them over.

Clearly not as straight forward as i would of hoped but being audi nothing ever is.

Have got a few other things id like to do first i think before spending on controllers and the like.

Considering a complete RS6 front end, located a bumper and wings are £200 each from audi.

Thanks for the replies tho have saved the details.

joshA6
12-07-2011, 08:59 AM
Are the lights you have for an S6?

I already have most of the parts for an S6 front end so would be interested if your set have fog lights in the main headlight units.

I would not bother doing an RS6 conversion, as the parts are too much, and there are tons of little parts you would need that are not necessarily documented anywhere.

I think insurance wise, you would be on serious dodgy ground as you suddenly have a wide bodied car.

Also, if you change the front wings, the car will look awful unless you do the rear wings too. That I'm afraid is serious, serious bodyshop time.

powermad1
12-07-2011, 10:21 AM
i have looked into the prices for all the parts and although they are expensive they arent seriously over priced rear quarters are 600 for the pair, have found a door on ebay so only need one from audi,

i comprised this list of parts

2 rear quarter panels
2 back doors
1 rear bumper
boot lid
tail lights
side skirts
2 front wings
1 complete front bumper.

that soundabout right to you??

joshA6
12-07-2011, 12:26 PM
There are lots of little parts:

Headlamp wash wipe assemblies
Daytime running lights
Plastic arch extensions
Different bumper supports
Different undershield
rear bumper diffuser
Exhaust tailpipe trims
Different front/rear bumper crash bars
Suspension components as the RS6 has a wider track (or you will need custom made rims to fill the now widened arches)

and probably many more

powermad1
12-07-2011, 12:30 PM
The crash bars and bumper supports from what i have managed to cross reference with part numbers etc etc are the same as the main bumper mounts are on the wings which will be getting replaced.

I like my A6 but get bored easily so thought would do things to it, however have been looking into a b7 s4 tiptronic??

joshA6
12-07-2011, 12:31 PM
The crash bars and bumper supports from what i have managed to cross reference with part numbers etc etc are the same as the main bumper mounts are on the wings which will be getting replaced.

I like my A6 but get bored easily so thought would do things to it, however have been looking into a b7 s4 tiptronic??

They will only be the same if you have at least a V6

joshA6
12-07-2011, 12:43 PM
This link might help you

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2364098.htm

powermad1
12-07-2011, 10:38 PM
Yeah, my a6 is a 2.7 tdi.

thanks again for all the help, ill keep you updated on what i decide to do and will do a build diary type thing incase any body else decides to do similar.

did you say you has s6 parts??