PDA

View Full Version : RCD 500 6 CD in dash Radio/Cd Player

Davidj241
13-07-2007, 10:34 PM
Has anyone had problems with the above unit where it does not recognise any cd's at all.

Recently my unit refused to play any of the six cds stored and will not eject or play.

All I get is ERROR and SERVICE message. :confused:

Neil Brown
19-07-2007, 08:24 PM
I have exactly that problem, only mine has three mp3 cd's stuck in it.
The local dealer says he is trying to get a warranty replacement from Germany, although the car is only two months old. I have never been this long without A cd player in my car, and it is driving me nuts.:zx11: :aargh4:
I am a DJ so perhaps you will understand when I say that it is essential for me, and not just an entertainment toy.
I am told that I will probably have to wait five or six weeks to get my CD's back even after they change the unit.
Not impressive at all. I have NEVER had a faulty CD ever before.

If someone knows how to get them out, please let us know.

DJ Nelly B

Froggy
23-07-2007, 11:28 AM
Try disconnecting the unit for 5 minutes. It will sometime reset the mechanism when you reconnect it, and start working again.

I wouldn't advise trying to get the cd's out - you'll invalidate the warranty, and probably not succeed anyway. The mechanism's a real work of art...

Davidj241
23-07-2007, 08:06 PM
Thanks for your advice, I'd already tried this to no avail. I have since beeen back to my dealer how have diagnosed a faulty unit and are replacing it under warranty.

They have also offer me a cash sum for the cd's which are stuck inside which I think is very fair. Unfortunately availability of a new RCD500 is a problem at the moment, so have just got to put up with the radio for the time being.:(

Try disconnecting the unit for 5 minutes. It will sometime reset the mechanism when you reconnect it, and start working again.

I wouldn't advise trying to get the cd's out - you'll invalidate the warranty, and probably not succeed anyway. The mechanism's a real work of art...

Neil Brown
25-07-2007, 08:10 PM
I had that done in the Dealer's too. No Luck either.
I also am expecting a new one under warranty, but the wait is not good.
I just hope that the new batch will have a solution to the problem so that you can over-ride and eject cd's.
I think that their design department must have been on party leave when they designed this. It isn't cheap either. Some upgrade...
I will probably now totally avoid multi-head units in future.
I have never been this long without a facility to play something other than a poor quality radio in a car beore... ever...
even the dreaded (Ford) managed to keep the stereo going.
That's six lines beginning with 'I' so you probably get the flow by now...

Come on VW get your fingers out.
Play the game, and give us the lowdown....

and better still get my cd's out of my unit a bit quick and returned to me too.

Ben
25-07-2007, 10:27 PM
Are all the above RCD500 units the new ones that can play mp3's?

Do we think that there is possibly a flaw somewhere and they'll need to do a recall on these units? :o possibly....

Davidj241
26-07-2007, 07:50 PM
Yes mine was a new model ( Jan 2007 ) that played MP3's.

Are all the above RCD500 units the new ones that can play mp3's?

Do we think that there is possibly a flaw somewhere and they'll need to do a recall on these units? :o possibly....

Froggy
27-07-2007, 12:13 PM

Won't happen unless there is a safety issue involved.

I've only ever known 1 recall of a factory fitted stereo unit, and it was due to a possible short circuit problem. (not VW group either)

Davidj241
24-08-2007, 01:56 PM
Great News, my dealer rang yesterday to tell me that my warranty replacement audio unit had arrived. I've just come back from the dealer having had it fitted and all is now well.

Well done to the service dept at Vindis Bedford:beerchug:

Slimbarry
24-08-2007, 08:13 PM
If you don't mind me asking, what year is your Passat?

Davidj241
24-08-2007, 09:21 PM
If you don't mind me asking, what year is your Passat?

No problem, it's a Jan 2007 TDI SEL 170

Neil Brown
28-01-2008, 08:45 PM
Mine has now been changed to a new unit also. It seems that the 2007 models are the culprits.
I really think they should build in a manual eject mechanism, as the head unit is so important to the running of the car and it's well-being.
I am too scared to put an mp3 CD in it now, so it was a bit of a waste of money having it upgraded I suppose.

Neil.

:zx11::aargh4::confused:

Davidj241
28-01-2008, 10:27 PM
Had a call last week from Volkswagen dealer, and after 5 months all my old CD's which were stuck in the unit have been returned.

A good result since the dealer had already paid me compensation for the discs.

Many thanks to VW.:beerchug:

Neil Brown
29-01-2008, 10:26 AM
I forgot to add that my dealer also returned my CD's....
Only one was in a round shape still. It would appear that something mechanical prevented their easy access to remove intact.

Oh well! shan't do that again (whatever it was.....)

Neil.

2003amir
05-03-2008, 09:32 PM
Glad to know I am not alone.

Got a 170 sport in July 07, that needed the stereo replaced after one month, and then that one after 3-4 months. My third RCD500 is ok at 2 and a bit months (touch wood), but still awaiting my CDs...

VWG0LfDriV3r
18-11-2009, 09:34 PM
Has anyone had problems with the above unit where it does not recognise any cd's at all.

Recently my unit refused to play any of the six cds stored and will not eject or play.

All I get is ERROR and SERVICE message. :confused:
Hi,
I've got the same problem with the '6 CD in dash Radio/Cd Player'. Mine displays 'SERVICE' & all it does is spin the CD with no avail (no matter which CD tray I select). It even spins & churns away when the 'CD' button isn't selected i.e. listening to Radio & (wait for it) even when the key isn't in the ignition.
I tried to fool it by trying to load another CD but it knows that all trays "are full" & even holding the 'EJECT' button doesn't do anything.
Looking at the forum it appears there are faults known with the unit & as my golf is under warranty, I'm hoping they'll replace the unit but here's hoping....
Any ideas Anyone???

Neil Brown
19-11-2009, 12:03 PM
You need to get to your dealer as soon as possible and quote this thread to them. They should just change it.

I hope that they will soon just fit a decent amp and speakers and let us choose our input form by allowing us inputs like on a standard mixer rear panel. That way it doesn't matter if you want to use a pair of 1210's or the latest Ipod or Sony mp3 player, you will still have in-car entertainment facilities.
Is there anyone out there treading this from VWG that can see the future, or do we need to drag them screaming into the void?

Ask the existing customers and they will tell you.

My current beef with them is that I have a decent Passat 170Diesel SPORT. It is coming up for three years old, and I want to get a new one...

You guessed it... They deleted it from their range... That is just over twenty grand they have lost from me, cos it looks like the only sensible alternatives are Honda or Mazda...
Don't tell me to get e sporty coupe... they have only FOUR seats and less space than a golf... Hmmmm!!! Idiots.... (and that is keeping it clean)

Neil.