PDA

View Full Version : Will this affect performance/economy

beclee
13-07-2007, 07:51 PM
There have been numerous threads on wheels. However, if I put bigger rims and smaller boots but keep the ratio 's correct. The wheels will weigh more because they are bigger.

So, will this affect the over all performance of the car as this will have to lug heavier wheels around?:confused:

Also,

In turn will this affect the economy of the vehicle?:confused:

The more I start to think about it the more Im worrying. But I still want better looking wheels on my car.:aargh4:

My cars a 56 reg 2.0tdi se

Quatrelle
13-07-2007, 08:02 PM
The weight gain will be cancelled out by your lighter wallet!

I think the differences you mention are too slight to worry about. What you will notice is a harsher ride though.

beclee
13-07-2007, 08:12 PM
the ride may become harsher but the handling will improve slightly? I used to have a B4 passat and the body roll was scary at times

Quatrelle
14-07-2007, 01:31 PM
Different wheels/tyres may alter the handling slightly, but body roll is governed by the design of the suspension. Do you find that your B6 rolls? I feel that it corners fairly flat, especially compared to our old Laguna!

gaz A
14-07-2007, 01:52 PM
I wouldn't worry bout it mate . I recon it'd affect performance/economy more driving with your window down or having stuff in the boot. I've gotta leon cupra n i changed the wheels from 17's to 18's with a lower profile n the only thing i noticed was that you crash over potholes n stuff more. the roads round my end are ridiculous anyway. if you hit a hole without seein it it nearly knocks your fillings out!!