PDA

View Full Version : Central lock issues

fourringsrus
02-07-2011, 09:54 PM
Come on then gang , what am I missing?
Audi Coupe 2.6 1995 M reg
Had an issue of battery going flat while the car was parked up and unused for about 3 weeks, this caused the immobiliser and alarm and central locking not to activate correctly.
So I replaced the battery having opened the drivers door manually with the key.
New battery fitted , immobiliser and alarm working properly again and car starting and running perfectly, however the car locking will not operate when pressing the "blipper button".
The blipper is not built into the key, it is an after market device fitted to most Audis of the era , the device operates the alarm/immobiliser and central locking and switches on the interior lights and flashes the indicators when bleeped.
Now the problem is when blipping , the locks for the doors, tailgate and petrol filler flap do not unlock, so assuming a fuse must have popped when changing the battery, I set about checking fuses.
According to the cover on the fuse box under the bonnet just below the windscreen on the offside I need to inspect fuse number 19 which is a 15 amp fuse for central locking and lock heater.
This fuse is ok and I stuck a fresh one in just to be sure but all to no avail.

WHAT IS THE PROBLEM THEN?
I wasn't that bothered as the car is up for sale but I can't get into the petrol filler so I really should put it right
All suggestions greatfully recieved
Many thanks

Stuart

micheal balbrig
02-07-2011, 10:28 PM
Come on then gang , what am I missing?
Audi Coupe 2.6 1995 M reg
Had an issue of battery going flat while the car was parked up and unused for about 3 weeks, this caused the immobiliser and alarm and central locking not to activate correctly.
So I replaced the battery having opened the drivers door manually with the key.
New battery fitted , immobiliser and alarm working properly again and car starting and running perfectly, however the car locking will not operate when pressing the "blipper button".
The blipper is not built into the key, it is an after market device fitted to most Audis of the era , the device operates the alarm/immobiliser and central locking and switches on the interior lights and flashes the indicators when bleeped.
Now the problem is when blipping , the locks for the doors, tailgate and petrol filler flap do not unlock, so assuming a fuse must have popped when changing the battery, I set about checking fuses.
According to the cover on the fuse box under the bonnet just below the windscreen on the offside I need to inspect fuse number 19 which is a 15 amp fuse for central locking and lock heater.
This fuse is ok and I stuck a fresh one in just to be sure but all to no avail.

WHAT IS THE PROBLEM THEN?
I wasn't that bothered as the car is up for sale but I can't get into the petrol filler so I really should put it right
All suggestions greatfully recieved
Many thanks

Stuart

Is it possible there is a battery in the blipper thing that may need replacing ?

Regards,
Michael.

fourringsrus
03-07-2011, 03:08 PM
Hi Michael and thanks for your response, but I was of the opinion that the handset only needs to send a signal to the car , whose own battery power feeds the immobiliser/alarm etc , so I am thinking that the handset is ok as the signal is getting there for all the other functions ,ie flash immob/alarm etc

Stuart

chairman_mo
03-07-2011, 05:26 PM
Not being massively familiar with central locking the obvious thing seems to be that the CL pump ist kaput, the alarm/immobiliser side of things seems to be ok. Does the CL engage/disengage when the key is used in the drivers or passenger door lock ??

micheal balbrig
03-07-2011, 05:47 PM
Hi Michael and thanks for your response, but I was of the opinion that the handset only needs to send a signal to the car , whose own battery power feeds the immobiliser/alarm etc , so I am thinking that the handset is ok as the signal is getting there for all the other functions ,ie flash immob/alarm etc

Stuart

You are probably correct if all other functions are working so as Chairman Mo says next check is probably the pump unit which is under the boot carpet. If it is any help I tried the hand set on my 95 model today and it worked after about three years. The battery was
disconnected many times from the car. I never use the hand unit normally,this was only for test. There is a difference in so far as my flashers dont operate but the horn beeps instead. (saloon car)
Regards,
Michael.

fourringsrus
04-07-2011, 06:34 PM
Thanks boys, does it not seem a bit coincidental when all I have done is changed the battery?
When I operate the key in the door only that door unlocks.
Is there any manual override to open the fuel flap?

Stuart

trioptics130
04-07-2011, 06:59 PM
dont know if the technowledgy was on this age car but changing the battery could cause the ecu to dump any key codes stored on it, if it was then it sounds like the key and ecu need pairing together, just a thought

micheal balbrig
04-07-2011, 07:14 PM
[QUOTE=fourringsrus;653800]Thanks boys, does it not seem a bit coincidental when all I have done is changed the battery?
When I operate the key in the door only that door unlocks.
Is there any manual override to open the fuel flap?

Stuart[/QUOTEr
I expect if you can locate the mini pipe to locking device on tank cap that you could apply vacum or pressure to release it.
There is probably a mini T piece close to pump or under rear seats.
Regards,
Michael.

scotty33
04-07-2011, 08:14 PM
The pump is located on top of the d/side rear wheelarch on coupe's behind the trim card. There must be another fuse, or pump is not getting a signal from the locks - pass side should operate the c/l too. The filler flap actuator is probably the easiest point in the system to access, sits just behind the filler flap iirc.

chairman_mo
05-07-2011, 04:53 PM
If you have your handbook it tells you in there how to manually release the fuel filler flap. It could be a leaking CL pump or one that is in serious decline and hence failing to open passenger door, boot and filler flap.

fourringsrus
05-07-2011, 09:46 PM
OK boys I'll take a few peeps on the morrow
Stuart

fourringsrus
19-07-2011, 06:16 PM
OK boys and girls I said I'll take a peep 14 days ago and basically took a peep this afternoon.
For no reason at all I decided to try unlocking the nearside door using the key just to see if anything odd happened.
It did , basically it set everything back to normal and now it all works perfectly, so I assume something went out of kilter during the battery change and the pi--ing around using the key.
Anyway I thought it worth mentioning in case anyone else has a similar issue
Thanks all

Stuart

andy757
19-07-2011, 07:35 PM
I too have issues with central locking on my 1995 L reg Coupe.

Out of the blue, the central locking won't lock and when I lock the driver door manually, the passenger door won't lock. I woke up one night to the sound of the alarm going off which then quickly stopped. Since then, the central locking don't work.

It is not key operated (remotely) but via the key in the door. Battery is fine (new about 2 months ago) and the car drives fine so my guess is it's not electrically a problem.

I'm baffled.

micheal balbrig
19-07-2011, 09:15 PM
I too have issues with central locking on my 1995 L reg Coupe.

Out of the blue, the central locking won't lock and when I lock the driver door manually, the passenger door won't lock. I woke up one night to the sound of the alarm going off which then quickly stopped. Since then, the central locking don't work.

It is not key operated (remotely) but via the key in the door. Battery is fine (new about 2 months ago) and the car drives fine so my guess is it's not electrically a problem.

I'm baffled.

Can you hear the motor when you turn key. The saloon handbook gives fuse 19 as fuse for cl 10A. Check air hoses to pump unit.
Will the passenger side operate cl.
Regards,
Michael.

andy757
19-07-2011, 09:27 PM
Hi Michael,
No sound of motor. Passenger side locks manually only i.e. with key.
Air hose to pump unit ????? No idea what you mean sorry.
I rarely use the car and it sat for a couple of weeks without being used then the other night with no real reason, the alarm sounded and since then, I have no central locking !!

micheal balbrig
19-07-2011, 11:04 PM
Hi Michael,
No sound of motor. Passenger side locks manually only i.e. with key.
Air hose to pump unit ????? No idea what you mean sorry.
I rarely use the car and it sat for a couple of weeks without being used then the other night with no real reason, the alarm sounded and since then, I have no central locking !!
Hi Andy
There is a cl pump unit tucked away under the boot matt or in side panel, it operates on vacum / pressure with a signal from a switch
in the door locks. there are also mini hoses from door locks to the CL pump. Your problem is probably unlikely to be hose related.
I tried removing fuse 19 as a trial and cl remained working so I am not sure about fuse.
I will suggest locating CL unit, and possibly try a wiggle test on connector to see if you can get it to operate. The unit can suffer from
dry soldered joints.
Regards,
Michael.

andy757
20-07-2011, 07:04 AM
Think I'll change the fuse first. Can't work out though why a fuse would blow when the car was parked up overnight ! The CL unit is in the boot yes ? If in the engine bay, any photo ID would be appreciated as I have no idea what to look for. Many thanks

andy757
20-07-2011, 05:45 PM
Fuse 19 was ok and intact. In fact, all fuses are fine. I suppose now I have to find the CL unit - boot or engine bay ??

fourringsrus
20-07-2011, 07:13 PM
If your car battery gets low it will , like mine , set off the alarm.I too found no problem with fuse 19, but last night as said above , just by unlocking and relocking the passenger door using the key , everything came back to life.May also be worth looking at potential wire breakages in the door hinge gater

Stuart

micheal balbrig
20-07-2011, 09:15 PM
Fuse 19 was ok and intact. In fact, all fuses are fine. I suppose now I have to find the CL unit - boot or engine bay ??

In the saloon it is under the carpet on rhs in a recess it is wrapped up well in foam rubber.
In another model it is in rear behind side panel / card may be coupe. I think it was Scotty who pointed this out.

Regards,
Michael.

andy757
21-07-2011, 06:57 AM
I can see what I'll be doing this weekend then !!