PDA

View Full Version : Question Diy Remap or bigger injector nozzles, power on the cheap AFN 110TDi 98

The Worm
30-06-2011, 02:16 AM
I have a few questions about DIY remapping and bigger nozzles.

I have been looking on ebay recently noticing a lot of companies offering posted remaps for reasonable prices which you use to remap your ecu with the official cable. Can this be done on an AFN 1.9TDi engine in an R reg car. or is it an ecu or chip out job for this age of car.

Basically I started looking at the £20 fake cables that come with 1million files and reading over many forums everybody says get it done professionally, however my car is probably worth £100-£500 so spending lots of money on it is plain stupid and if I break it oh well off to the scrappies for another ecu. Are generic maps really that bad surely they'll give some performance boost without throwing a piston through the bonnet.

I nearly bought a rosstech cable a year ago on a briskoda group buy but couldn't get the funds together in time. Are these capable of flashing the ecu with the right software?

I am trying to get max performance for under £100 and have seen some big injectors for around £60-80 maybe I can get some out a 2.5TDi from scrappers(Do they fit?). Is this a better option than diy remap(bearing in mind I have no problem attempting a remap myself if its possible through software or even soldering in a new chip if I can find one cheap enough)? maybe I could do both?

last qs for this first post whats the biggest turbo I can fit on the AFN engine with or without mods (I have no airbox so a fair amount of space there)?

adamss24
30-06-2011, 07:33 AM
Your car's ECU isn't flashable trough the OBD port so none of them cheap galletto/KWP2000/BDM clones will work ! The chips need replacing in the ECU. You can get chips and sockets for 170Bhp from german ebay (check this link: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tuningchip-fur-alle-1-9-TDi-110-Ps-DF-170-PS-/270747455199?pt=Autoteile_Zubeh%C3%B6r&hash=item3f09ce4edf#ht_923wt_905 ). The only bolt on turbo's you can fit are GT1749VA from the 130PD or the bv43 from the 2.0 Tdi PD 170 Bhp engine. If you are rather creative then you can fit any turbo you want there. I- for example- have a gt1749VA hybrid fitted and i'm swapping a gtb2260vk on a AHH engine (AFN style just a bit better engine)...the £100 you have wont go a long way, cheap nozzles will need pop testing, save your money and get genuine nozzles. V6 tdi injectors wont work on your engine as they have the wrong spray pattern and are totally different. I would suggest you look for a PSI tuning box and fit that instead or save more and get a set of old shape audi a6 with the 2.5 tdi 5 cylinders AEL engine... They will give you 20 bhp but will smoke at full throttle.

hibbsy21
30-06-2011, 07:06 PM
I have the 2.5tdi nozzles. car pulls much better, but a lot of smoke under load. After a remap I can expect 150-170bhp.

As for other cheap mods, get a front mount intercooler before your remap.

There are a few turbos that would got straight on your exsisting manifold on eBay at the moment.

Rich

Hyper-Remaps
30-06-2011, 11:58 PM
yep its a chip and solder in and out.

The Worm
02-07-2011, 07:43 PM
Thanks for your replys. I Will be on the hunt for 5cl 2.5tdis in the scrappies for the nozzles. I read about how to trick your ecu into giving more fuel by putting a resistor (preferably a 500ohm-1.5K pot and an on/off switch in the dash) between 2 wires, would this cause issues if I increase the nozzles as it sounds like you can get to the fuel overload point on stock. I am going to be saving up for a BV43 I think as it sound to me like the best option (I can always sell it on if the rest of my car dies). I have a little suspicion that my turbo might be not as good as it once was there is a little whimpery/whinney noise if I l floor it at 1500 rpm (not there after 2k)

Rich: I thought the inter-cooler was front mounted its just beside the passenger wheel behind the bumper(I was going to mod the bumper to give it more air). Or do you mean a second one to increase oil cooling. Your cars been lowered 40 what size wheels have you got on. Mine is on spax to, a garage was selling them cheap because a customer changed their mind. They told me it would drop between 30-35 but it looks much lower than the stock cars I see around so I'm guessing it more like 40, I've put 18" wheels (merc) on today and its looking a bit on the tight side both at the top and to the steering assy. Is your boost controller and gauge helping power?

adamss24
02-07-2011, 08:39 PM
I have the 2.5tdi nozzles. car pulls much better, but a lot of smoke under load. After a remap I can expect 150-170bhp.

As for other cheap mods, get a front mount intercooler before your remap.

There are a few turbos that would got straight on your exsisting manifold on eBay at the moment.

Rich
The stock gt1749V turbo won't be able to push the air necessary to burn the fuel + you need to do the "hammer mod". Do a search online... 170Bhp is far fetched without breathing mods...
Even with gt1749Va, ported head and 0.216 nozzles you wont see 170bhp. You need a larger pump head or 11mm pump + a intercooler to break 170Bhp.

The Worm
08-07-2011, 02:30 AM
My fan belt shredded on sat so the cars been off the road all week with me working out how to remove the viscous fan to replace the tensioner pulley (thought I probably should). I finally did it with a breaker bar 8mm brake calliper Allen key and my angle grinder tool (what a pig of a job). With the help of this forum I read about alternator free wheel pulley issues and yep I've got it, so off to get an alternator from the scrappies on sat so I will hunt for some nozzles( I'm guessing these are the rubbish nozzles (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330585089885&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:VRI#ht_613wt_1139)) and on the off chance a bv43 turbo. while the car is in bits I'm going to put face lift headlights on and do the resistor mod I've already fed the wires from the dash to the engine bay and got a switch and a 1K pot. I saw a pic of an A4 with a huge intercooler in front of the radiator surely thats not a good place to put it. Still trying to work out where to put one while I've got good view of where one might fit.

Adams24 I did a search for the hammer mod and it looked like I could increase/decrease fuel flow from the pump. I'm guessing I reduce it with bigger nozzles but until I get them would increasing it improve performance or would the nozzles be the bottle neck? I also looked at your very helpful German eBay link and it got me searching more and found some on regular eBay being shipped from the check republic( ) for £40 he said that it had been professionally made on a dyno. I know it says for an AHU or IZ motor but he does others too.

Thanks Iain