PDA

View Full Version : Start of Air Con problem.

dmcmoran
29-06-2011, 11:58 PM
I used the air con this week and noticed that it wasn't as cold as usual and makes a motor noise that changes pitch with the engine speed. Switching air con off stops this noise. Is this the start of something expensive or does just need a regas?

Car is 97 1.8 salloon with 140k. I don't use A/C much as I'm in the UK and I only need to do approx 6k milles per anum!

lucianus
01-07-2011, 11:02 PM
Hi
I've got the same problem just worst. when i turn the air con on i can hear a noise like a fan rattling in an old pc and then after a couple of minutes the fan stops all together. sometimes the fan starts again if going over 60mph and if i crack the window open. i assume the fan is busted. is it easy/expensive to replace?
thanks

dmcmoran
02-07-2011, 01:00 AM
I've no idea, haven't looked into it yet. Was hoping that some one on here may of had experience of sorting the problem. I'm hoping that it just needs gasing, it's hardly ever used so I don't see how any parts may have got worn.

Zenerdiode
03-07-2011, 09:05 PM
...it's hardly ever used so I don't see how any parts may have got worn.

Therein lies the problem. AC systems need to be run at least once a month to keep the internals lubricated and the seals supple. There is an oil known as PAG oil that is pumped around with the gas - and this needs to be flowed regularly.

dmcmoran
03-07-2011, 11:20 PM
Therein lies the problem. AC systems need to be run at least once a month to keep the internals lubricated and the seals supple. There is an oil known as PAG oil that is pumped around with the gas - and this needs to be flowed regularly.

So would you recommend not using it untill I get it regassed? The compressor still works and it is still cold, just not icey a/c cold. Thanks for the info.