PDA

View Full Version : Question Oil level reading

Colbuck
26-06-2011, 10:00 PM
Hi.
Can anyone tell me why when I look on the mmi for my oil level and temp it tells me that there is currently no information available. I now I have had readings from it before. I've even read the hand book and done what it says. I'm just hoping that this doesn't mean there is no oil in the engine, but the hand book does say I will get a warning light on dash if oil is low.
Bring back the dipstick. :zx11:

Crasher
26-06-2011, 10:12 PM
That ******* system drives me potty, do an oil change and then spend a hour checking the level, what a load of ****! I have now bought the proper dip stick!

Colbuck
26-06-2011, 10:18 PM
Sounds like a plan. But this may be a silly question, where does the dipstick go.

Crasher
27-06-2011, 10:44 AM
The dip stick tube is in the normal place on the left of the engine (on the right as you look at it) in between the inlet manifold and is closed off with a rubber bung.

Colbuck
28-06-2011, 09:20 AM
Thanks for info. I'll have a look and get a dipsticks. Seems the old way is the best way.

21stCentury
28-06-2011, 06:52 PM
That ******* system drives me potty, do an oil change and then spend a hour checking the level, what a load of ****! I have now bought the proper dip stick!

I had similar problems until I succumbed and read the manual. It worked for me.

ScottyUK
28-06-2011, 09:23 PM
I've never had an issue. Maybe it's coz I read the manuals too .... or is it a genuinely probletmatic system and I'm just lucky?

Crasher
28-06-2011, 10:47 PM
Yes it is fine if you have the time to wait but a chap doing the job for a living does not have the time to wait when 15 minutes means the difference between him getting his week’s bonus or not! It is a crap idea and one that should have been shot at birth, the dip stick has been around since the birth of motoring and the dipstick that tried to reinvent it is a ****** who should be taken out and given a good thrashing with the said redundant dipstick so he/she does not make the same stupid mistake again.

Bratty
29-06-2011, 12:53 AM
The logical answer/question is why do they not have both a dip-stick and the MMI (lazy persons option)!!?!!

The cost would be a dip-stick (minus a rubber bung!) on a 30 grand + car!

Dunk

theskyfox
29-06-2011, 08:00 AM
Is that dipstick also available on the 3.0TDi? May have to order one if it is...

-Andrew

ScottyUK
29-06-2011, 11:39 AM
The logical answer/question is why do they not have both a dip-stick and the MMI (lazy persons option)!!?!!

The cost would be a dip-stick (minus a rubber bung!) on a 30 grand + car!

Dunk

I can only think that the German engineers thought process was "why do we need a dipstick when we have all the info already available via the sensors and MMI?"

Dropping a dipstick from xxx,xxxx cars must save them a few pennies.

Crasher - With regards waiting, it's only two minutes and they don't have to stand and wait they can get on with the rest of the job.

Crasher
29-06-2011, 12:54 PM
Crasher - With regards waiting, it's only two minutes and they don't have to stand and wait they can get on with the rest of the job.

Quite often I have had to wait half an hour as the MMI system gives the message something along the lines of “not possible to measure level at the present time”, it can be very irritating when you are doing JUST an oil change which you have only quoted half an hour for, the dip stick can save you 15+ minutes which is £12.50 of my money so if I do five a week that costs me about £50 in lost time which is not acceptable.

ScottyUK
29-06-2011, 01:04 PM
Yup - I can see that being an issue/irritating. Crazy it can take so long!

Then again if you quote for the time you get more for doing nothing ;)

113brucey
29-06-2011, 05:47 PM
does any body have a part number for dipstick for a4 tdi 143 sline 2009
thanks or no of what audi dipstick fits ?????

dan172
29-06-2011, 10:09 PM
Back to the thread, does anyone know why this message is there instead of the actual reading? The last time I checked it was at least 3/4 full, now I too have the same message and have done all week. I Checked after a fifteen minute trip top work and still no change.
Weird?

Crasher
30-06-2011, 09:41 AM
The message puzzles me as I often see it, which is why I bought the dip stick to allow me to physically check it but in all cases I have seen the message eventually disappears and the level display comes up so it is possible the sump level sensor is faulty, a physical level check and a fault code read would be the staring point.

Off thread again (well sort of) the dip stick I currently have is made (or sold by) Laser or Sealey (can't remeber which) as the VAG one is difficult to get hold of as it has to be ordered directly form the tool room at VAG UK and they don’t take phone calls, only emails plus it is pricey, I have seen them on sale for $140! The VW description is “Test tool for oil level display -T40178-”. However the tool must be used in conjunction with a chart

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd20/Crasher1964/Testtoolforoilleveldisplay-T40178-3.jpg
http://www.lasertools.co.uk/item.aspx?cat=0&item=3920 (http://www.lasertools.co.uk/item.aspx?cat=0&item=3920)

goader
02-07-2011, 05:23 PM
My 2010 A4 S.Line was in for a warranty job for a noise on the steering column. I was informed the car was due a management update. Guess what, yes it was for the oil level reading. On the warranty invoice it states it was a recall problem. There is now a message alongside the oil level display and is reading ok. Give your dealership a ring and ask the question

cheers

Hi.
Can anyone tell me why when I look on the mmi for my oil level and temp it tells me that there is currently no information available. I now I have had readings from it before. I've even read the hand book and done what it says. I'm just hoping that this doesn't mean there is no oil in the engine, but the hand book does say I will get a warning light on dash if oil is low.
Bring back the dipstick. :zx11:

Colbuck
03-07-2011, 10:18 PM
Cheers goader I'll give the dealer a ring and try my luck. I think I'm just out of warranty but fingers crossed they can update the system and sort problem.

113brucey
12-07-2011, 05:18 PM
just had an update of software. management update to cure glitchies on mmi regards oil reading and starting issues

cheers goader for heads up

goader
23-07-2011, 12:26 AM
Glad to be of help.

power33
25-08-2014, 09:41 PM
Just to let everyone know, I have an Audi A4 B8 2009 2.0TDI Engine, i have done my research just like everyone else about this annoying dipstick issue. My dipstick tube is located underneath engine cover with a plug.

I found a solution at long last!!!!

I purchased this dipstick which was perfectly correct for my vehicle on eBay- CLICK HERE (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A4-A5-B8-OIL-LEVEL-Correct-DIPSTICK-OE-Longitudinal-Transverse-03L115611E/331293417125)

Now I can always check my oil level on both MMI and manually finally.

mina08
26-08-2014, 11:42 AM
nice find