PDA

View Full Version : 1991 Audi 100 Avant Auto Check Problem

juno106
26-06-2011, 03:15 PM
I have a problem with my 1991 100 Avant where when I turn on the ignition the auto check beeps and shows what looks like a bulb with an X through it and surrounded by a circle cut vertically. All exterior bulbs are working, as far as I know. Does auto check system also alert to interior bulbs, e.g. dash illumination. I am fairly savvy when it comes to car electrics but I'm lost with this. Any help much appreciated..

wildbeeste
29-05-2012, 12:59 PM
I have a problem with my 1991 100 Avant where when I turn on the ignition the auto check beeps and shows what looks like a bulb with an X through it and surrounded by a circle cut vertically. All exterior bulbs are working, as far as I know. Does auto check system also alert to interior bulbs, e.g. dash illumination. I am fairly savvy when it comes to car electrics but I'm lost with this. Any help much appreciated..

I had a similar problem - as you know apply the foot brake and the "Bulb" symbol goes off. If I remember correctly it was a duff contact in the rear lights. I just took all the bulbs out and cleaned up the contacts (contact spray) and replaced them. It then worked. I have no real idea whether it was a bulb, a wire or a contact but my theory is that the bulb warning light is activated if the current to a particular light falls below a certain level during the test.

mac14
17-12-2012, 01:10 AM
I think it measures imbalance in voltage drop down each side of the car, some say even different brands of bulbs can set it off, but not sure. I think it only checks the exterior bulbs, yes.