PDA

View Full Version : I'm in love with my A7 apart from Handsfree calling

DJM_A7
26-06-2011, 02:09 PM
I spent literally months trying to decide what car to buy, and finally settled on the A7.

I had been planning to buy a Jaguar XF, but it made my wife car-sick! I looked at various options (Volvo, BMW, Audi A5 sportback & Q5), but none were quite . . . . right.

Finally a patient Audi salesperson suggested I test-drive the A7 and that was that!

I took delivery a week later from dealer stock (longest week of my life!), and I am thrilled. :D

The only (minor) wrinkle is with the hands-free on my blackberry. I can hear audio absolutely crystal clear, but everyone has great difficulty hearing me; which makes the whole two-way dialogue thing quite challenging.

Has anyone had the same issue or recommend options to try?

On to the fun stuff.

I have never owned a diesel before, and was pleasantly surprised how responsive the 3.0 TDI engine was. Despite "only" having a 0-60 of 7+ seconds, it gets off the blocks really quickly without me trying (drivers in areas with active speed police take note!).

The ride is assured and balanced even when I'm misbehaving, and it's hard to believe it's such a big car. Did I mention it was big? Really Big. (Thank God for parking assist). I normally sit with my seat almost all the way back, and my adult daughter (5' 10") sat behind without her knees touching!

I think the MMI is intuitive and very easy to use. I'm a techie by trade, so perhaps I am more comfortable with the various setting than most, but I scanned the manual once and "got it". There's quite a bit there that you would set-up once and never touch again, but if like me you grew up on Star Trek . . . . Oh Boy!

I should also say a thank-you to the Audi Chingford guys I bought it from. They really have been excellent.

Perhaps it's because there are still relatively few in the UK, but it really turns heads when I drive it (in a non-mid-life-crisis way). When neighbours you haven't spoken to in months (not for any bad reason though), make a special trip just to ask you about it and "get the tour", you know you've got something a little special.

I'm still learning how to get the best out of it, and although the fuel consumption is far better than my old Volvo 2.4V5 turbo engine, I still haven't got as close to the published figures as I would expect for a brand new car.

Other than that and the hands-free issue, it is simply a dream on four wheels.

The model is 3.0 TDI SE in grey, with upgraded wheels, and some other gizmos.

Thanks.

a8 tech
26-06-2011, 03:32 PM
connect via sap or insert the sim in the sim slot instead of using hfp as hfp will use the phones gsm where as sap will use the vehicles gsm

DJM_A7
26-06-2011, 09:48 PM
connect via sap or insert the sim in the sim slot instead of using hfp as hfp will use the phones gsm where as sap will use the vehicles gsm

Hi,

Thanks for a quick reply.

I can confirm that the blackberry is using SAP via bluetooth. I've never heard of hfp, and cannot find it on the phone; is it a setting on the car?

I don't have a sim slot, or to be more precise, I don't know where it may be. In any case, having to remove the SIM from my blackberry every time I want to use it in the car sounds . . . . clumsy.

I can't help feeling that if it was the connection protocol, I would see more issues than just the microphone pickup volume. (as an aside, where is the microphone located in the A7?)

DJM_A7
30-06-2011, 06:31 PM
I'm back from a trip, and i had an idea on your comment. i looked at the properties on the connection on the MMI, and it did say handsfree, so you were right. The blackberry has sap activated but it also has hfp activated. I deleted the pairing on both devices, and then turned off the hfp on the blackberry. After turning the ignition on and off, I tried again, however the car would now not recognise the phone. The phone just said connection had failed. so, can anyone tell me how to get the car to recognise the sap connection type on the blackberry?