PDA

View Full Version : Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GTs - they are run flat tyres!

ScottyUK
24-06-2011, 05:01 PM
This may be old news to some but worth sharing as I didn't know :

I was looking on the Dunlop site the other day (coz the tyres are officially "summer" tyres and not "all season" ones) and I noticed that Dunlop say they are "Run On Flat" tyres.

The page says check with the manufacturer to ensure they can be used as such.... so I did.

....and Audi confirmed that my car they can be used as run flats. I'm happy with that as it means if Mrs Scotty gets a puncture with our youngs kids on board then she can drive to safety/home/garage etc. They say 50 miles at 50mph which is the same as the space saver. It probably means you have to replace the tyre but it's a handy thing to have .... if you know about it!

Audi also repeated what it says in the manual :

"Run flat tyres must only be used on vehicles which have a tyre pressure monitoring system"

The idea is obvisously that they don't want someone driving on a deflated tyre and not realising as they could go too fast or too long.

Do you guys with the Dunlops all have TPMS as a factory fit option? I think this may be the case? If not then of course there is indeed a risk that you may get a puncture and not notice which would be potentially dangerous. I don't wish to insult anyone that they wouldn't notice but with RunFlats and a low profile tyre perhaps it's not that noticable??

bruboy
24-06-2011, 05:47 PM
+1 for Dunlops and tpms. Wasn't aware they were run flat - does it say anything on the sidewall?