PDA

View Full Version : New Audi owner needs some help.

Glove76
22-06-2011, 08:10 PM
Hi, we bought our first audi last week, an a4, b5 1.8. It has 115k on the clock and is a 98 reg car, has full service (http://www.audiforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170743#) history and cam belt done at 96k, generally not too bad other than the exterior door trim needing replacing and the usual volume knob fault on the stereo.

However we have a problem that may be quite bad. My misses rang me this morning, it was raining so put the blowers on hot to de mist the windscreen, there was a burning smell and the screen misted up more rather than cleared.

Now i cant say in all honesty it is a burning smell but it is quite un pleasant, but it does stop smelling, its only for a few seconds after switching the fans to hot (there is no smell on cold). I have done some research and apparently a worn out cabin filter will smell like sweaty socks, i cant say that thats the smell either, i did check the filter though and it was put in upside down and well covered in crap, i bought another and replaced it but the smell is still there, like i say only for a few seconds after turning it to hot.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

maz2374
22-06-2011, 09:07 PM
HI , im a new audi owner too!! I think its just burning off the dust just like your central heating does at home when you havent used it for a while. you must be feeling just like me at the moment!! a litle paranoid about all the little things that knock and rattle and smell!! We have bought quite old cars , mine being a 2000 a4 tdi, they were top of the rage in their days and we are expecting fa too much from them......I have had mine for two weeks and have already spent £300 on having knocks etc looked into, the breaks are fine, the suspension is fine and it passed its test yesterday!! but the squeaky doors and a vibration in the engine are driving me mad. Hopefully i will come to love my audi A4 but at the moment i miss my vw golf tdi 03 like crazy!! ( even though it had an oil leak an lots of bangs and rattles!!) hope this helps.