PDA

View Full Version : Question Vento 1995 1.9 diesel overheating

ventojoe
22-06-2011, 07:56 AM
Please can someone tell me where the thermostat is located on this engine as I need to check it out.
I will also flush the system out as it has never been done for at least 7 yrs :Blush2:

Its a strange one, it only starts to overheats after about 25 miles and then if I go steady on the revs I can keep it from getting to hot! The rad and bottom hose feels a lot colder at the bottom when its hot at the top hose! I have never let it boil and it does not use a lot of water if any. I know its not an electrical fault and the fans work when its gets hot near the switch in the rad.
Any ideas or advice is as always very much appreciated.
Thanks.

ventojoe
23-06-2011, 06:44 PM
I had a good look at it. I flushed the cooling system out as much as I could, not a lot of crud came out. I have checked the circulation and found a small crack in the plastic 'tree' junction flange that bolts to the head, the one with the top hose and a couple of smaller hoses and temp sender on it. I will get another but I have used silicon as a temporary repair for now. This crack may have caused air to get in and upset things! It was not a large crack and hardly any coolant leaked out of it. We will see how it goes and if ok I will be looking for a cheap housing/flange. I have bled the system and I have noticed that it is important for the cooling system to have the cap tight to keep it pressurised for it to work well. The rad fans and heater work ok. Hope this helps anyone having similar problems.

ventojoe
01-07-2011, 02:43 PM
Running hot seems to be cured, after 700 mile its keeping its cool, the very small leak is weeping but not getting worse, yet! It only uses an egg cup of coolant a day so I'm not to bothered but trying to find a cheap replacement 'plastic' temp sensor housing is proving a hard one.

SammoVWT
01-07-2011, 05:34 PM
It might be getting airlocked aswell from the leak, so when it cools it sucks air back in via that crack. when the system is under pressure the coolant will evaporate out via the crack, its worth replacing it anyway imo.