PDA

View Full Version : VW Tiguan bluetooth incompatibility with HTC Desire S phone

tonyoung
21-06-2011, 09:42 AM
Anyone had any issues with an HTC Desire S smartphone running Gingerbread 2.3.3 - and Volkswagen factory-fitted RNS 510 satnav/audio with bluetooth handsfree setup on a Tiguan?

I can occasionally get the phone to connect to the car and perhaps make/receive one or two calls, then it tries to play music from the phone via the RNS510 (even when I am trying to listen to the radio) and then dies and won't re-connect with the car at all - sometimes for a day or two.

I've been advised to delete the phone book facility - but can't! There doesn't seem to be any way to do this.

I'm assuming some software/hardware incompatibility, but unsure if it is the phone or the car, as I had similar problems with an early Desire and a five year-old Audi A4 with bluetooth prep.

Any help would be appreciated!

Teflon
28-06-2011, 06:15 PM
Depends on the age of your car. If you have the "Premium Bluetooth Kit" that VW were fitting until quite recently, then the news is not good. It is not the same as in Audi and Skoda models and has substantially poorer compatability with phones than the better kit in other VAG brands.

Assuming you have the PBK and your car is about 2007 to 2010 vintage then only a phone that has a properly implemented rSAP functionality will work. This means the majority of (but not all) Nokia phones. Most other phones just don't work but some HTC models and some Blackberrys will work, sometimes. It depends on what firmware version you have on the phone, also on phases of the moon, tide tables on the Ethiopian coast and the moods of my dog. Franky, it's all a bit of a lottery, unless you want to buy a Nokia.

By the way, VW, all four major UK networks, Nokia (who designed the car kit) and HTC were all useless when I spoke to them and just blamed each other.

Some posters have got an HTC to work by putting their SIM in a Nokia, pairing it, transferrring phone book details and then swapping the SIM back into the HTC. You could try this, but there is no guarantee it will work. At least you don't have an iPhone - that really is a non-starter!

tonyoung
29-06-2011, 11:27 AM
Hmmm, the Tiguan was delivered in February 2011, so probably manufactured sometime early this year. The Bluetooth connection comes with the VW satnav/audio head (RNS510). Sounds like I may have to invest in a Nokia, get a PAYG SIM for it and divert calls from my Desire to that. But I'll try the SIM pairing idea first, thanks. Technology, rules, hey?

Teflon
29-06-2011, 01:33 PM
That sounds like the Premium Bluetooth kit (same as in my Passat), but I thought that VW stopped doing it around the end of 2010.

Try doing a forum search for "rSAP" and you will find 2 or 3 threads with lots of info that might be useful to you. Also, take a look at this thread http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?43871-Review-of-Premium-Bluetooth-and-RCD510 It has got a bit long and windy now, but there is some HTC info if you have a dig around.

tonyoung
29-06-2011, 02:15 PM
Thanks for that - off to the Nokia shop!

rmarier
09-07-2011, 06:57 AM
I dont know if your HTC is an android but here is what I have done to setup a Nexus S android in the new Jetta 2011 Bluetooth

Sync your phone to the car. ( set the phone to discover bluetooth, turn key on in the car, when the phone finds the VW phone, pair them)

The first time, you will be ask you to give access to the contacts, answer yes
this will upload your contact list into the VW bluetooth

You will notice a small arrow pointing up, on top left of the screen of your phone. drag it down to show the menu. In this, select the upload contacts.
Every time you change your contact list, you can re-upload it into the VW bluetooth.
Work very well on my Nexus S Telus.

BTW dialing is done by last name first...

This doesn't seem to be documented anywhere, VW and the cell phone store did not know how to do it.