PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma - S5 or A5 3.0 TDI

mart2011
19-06-2011, 10:22 PM
I have been researching for a number of weeks comparing the S5 to the A5 TDI, I really would like to get other peoples opinions particularly from owners. I have test driven the 3.0TDI manual, very impressed with the torque, effortless pull and comfort level. For me manual is pointless 1st gear is used up too quickly, so it would be an auto with the TDI.

I have around 25k to spend +/-3k, my heart says S5 but the head is saying TDI. I only do 6k a year so this is really a toy, occasional trips to cornwall etc. Used only 6mths a year...
Questions:
Fuel – on paper the S5 does 23mpg combined, compared to 40mpg with the TDI, what are peoples real life figures? Is the sound of the V8 to hard to resist putting the footdown?
Tyres – how many miles do you get out of a set? Average Price per corner?
Servicing – my budget will get me an S5 with around 50k, how much will servicing be?
Anything to look out for with the S5 – heard some like the taste of oil?
Comments are most welcome...

Sportingmac
12-07-2011, 02:51 PM
You will be spending significantly more on the S5 (75% more on fuel alone) and servicing is not cheap - nor spare parts - my Q7 brakes pan out the same as a RS6 - well over a grand.

My choice would be the TDi (auto) and a remap for a mere £300~£500 (negotiate) with Celtic tuning - who do their tuning in-house - not bought in from a generic file (available off the internet).

Pauloz
25-07-2011, 06:49 PM
If its a toy.... there's only one answer ;o)
Yup, mpg is max of 23 in my experience. My overall average for the last month is 21.7. Yes you cant help but boot it - but then you run out of speed limit pretty damn quick too. Even in 6th at 45mph on the flat its only 26mpg, and cruising at 77 about 22mpg.
I went for the manual, and the torque range is so huge it gear changing is a lot less frequent that my 170 TDI was. 3rd and straight to 6th, back to 3rd to overtake or RAB's for me is very common.
The flipping noise and grin factor is incredible.
About to get mine re-mapped..... doesnt really need the 400+ brake they reckon is possible, but another 10% mph would be useful ha.
I don't think tyres are too stupid - but does depend on whether 19's or 20's.
Dealers are struggling to sell at the moment for obvious reasons - I got mine for 23.5k with 40k on the clock by being patient.

Sportingmac
25-07-2011, 07:57 PM
Your spot on about the 'smiley' factor - I have an old Sierra Cosworth that does exactly that - when I get it out - who cares about mpg then :) True story - when I lived in Germany - I could empty teh tank from full in under an hour on the Autobahn - now that is a real smiley factor. Moral of the story - if you can afford it then the S5 - but you won't be disappointed with a chipped diesel.

Puresilk
04-11-2011, 06:30 PM
It always comes down to money at the end of the day and the S5 would be awesome but the mpg, service costs, price for parts etc would just present a huge bill every so often.

The 3.0 Tdi would be a very sensible choice with a remap and you will probably be pushing 270 - 300 BHP. the 40+ mpg and sensible services and parts costs not to mention insurance would be the safest bet.

keemaklan
20-12-2011, 06:31 PM
If you bought the diesel 3.0 TDI every time you went out in it you would regret not having the S5. For christs sake man! You said it yourself, you'll do 6K a year in it. The difference at 20MPG and 30MPG (S5 Vs TDI) @ 6k P/A is 100 gallons of fuel. So what, the difference of £500?

The petrol will make you smile every time you start her up and rev her. Every time you plant your foot you'll be greeted with a V8 roar. Women will get wet just looking at the S5, you'll have young boys and men alike all giving you the thumbs up and turning back for a quick glance at something MOST people can't afford. You'll gain respect from every petrol head and the general population will be giving you way everywhere you go.

Or, you can be a tight fisted git and have a diesel, that in winter will leave you shivering for the first 10 miles because the engine isn't warm. You wont be greeted with the lovely noise of 8 cylinders and you'll just be another diesel car. Regardless of how powerful the 3.0 TDI is, the power band sucks, its not linear power like a petrol and sounds rubbish in comparison. You pay more for diesel fuel too, not to mention the stink of diesel every time you fill up.

The answer is clear. Why is everyone such tight fisted diesel loving gits these days? WHERE ARE THE PETROL HEADS GONE?!

Guest 2
20-12-2011, 06:35 PM
Which do you own keemaklan?

Sportingmac
20-12-2011, 07:41 PM
...I have a real petrol head's car - Ford Sierra RS Cosworth - it compliments the Q7 and the A5 Cab (both diesel) - and puts a huge grin on my face whenever I plant the right foot - and its over 25 years old. So to answer your question - this petrol head is alive and well.

....and it can empty a full tank in under an hour - on the german Autobahns. :)

keemaklan
21-12-2011, 09:36 PM
Which do you own keemaklan?

Ah well done Chris for trying to point out that i drive a diesel myself. I'm not saying diesels are bad, but S5 vs 3.0TDI when someone does 6k a year is a stupid dilemma to be in. The answers clear! Petrol for the win.

For your information however, the ONLY reason i drive a 2.0TDI rather than a 2.0T or 1.8T is because in A4//E61 BMW guise, i couldn't get insured on a petrol turbo and thus, the cheapest 'fastest' so to speak estate car i could get insured on that i liked was the 2.0tdi. I bought my car at 20, so insurance was either £1600 for the diesel or £4,000+ for the 2.0T. I also do a lot of SD+P mileage. Last year alone i did 20K social miles. I don't work so cant justify a £200 a week petrol expense to my dad! If i was working myself, earning my own money things could have been different.

Oh and last, but not least, I also have a Suzuki GSXR 600 to play with, which is much cheaper to insure/run and 10 times faster than a 2.0T Avant would have been!

Comprendhe?

Pauloz
23-12-2011, 07:41 PM
Fully agree keemaklan.... still grinning every day 6 months on from the S5 purchase.
Only had one grumble so far.... with a dipped main beam bulb costing £179. Audi would have been £500+ with the diagnostics they wanted to run. I guess the 3.0TDI wouldnt be any cheaper in this regard anyway?
Remapping increased mpg by about 1.5mpg to 21.7 average over a few months (97 octane)
Tyres been pleasantly surprised - £200 a corner for Falkens which drive nice.
Just the one speed awareness course to pay for. 35 in a 30 lmfao
Still think the manual is under geared tho. 3700rpm at 77 is too high imho. Hardly ever use 4th or 5th - if youre accelerating hard you run out of speed limit anywhere in 3rd anyway. Dont understand why 5th and 6th need to be 'racier' than the auto.
Torque range is ridiculous - seems to pull the same from 1800 through to 6500rpm. Launch from standstill is just the absolute nuts.
335i drag races are close - until they have to change gear. Allegedly.

drrgriffiths
24-12-2011, 08:36 AM
Hi,
I recently changed my 3.0 tdi A5 for an S5, although the diesel car was quick and fairly economical, it comes nowhere near the S5 for driving pleasure. The bottom line is the only advantage of the diesel car is that it costs less to run .

Regards

Roger

adamss24
25-12-2011, 12:14 PM
Hi,
I recently changed my 3.0 tdi A5 for an S5, although the diesel car was quick and fairly economical, it comes nowhere near the S5 for driving pleasure. The bottom line is the only advantage of the diesel car is that it costs less to run .

Regards

Roger

Really ? The reason why the s5 feels sporty IS that is marketed as a sports car and it has "sport" suspension, seats and a few more toys and gimmicks ! If they were to offer a similarly kitted 3.0 tdi with the MTM tuning package i know which i would take ! The 3.0 tdi with the stage 2 MTM tuning package (nothing wild just a hybrid turbo and a remap,everything else was stock !) was much faster on Norschleife (aka Nurburgring) than the equivalent s6 model at the time and we are comparing a v6 engine with a v8 fully blown petrol lump !
I think audi need to introduce high end diesel purpose build "sports" models just like Alpina does to BMW models. It just seems to me that Uk is still not preppared to buy dirty sports diesels. A nice 4.2 twin turbo engine in a s4/s6 chassis would **** all over a NA 4.2 petrol lump. The diesels are still barely modified and when you consider that just a set of aftermarket nozzles and a "custom" remap + a larger turbo will give over 100 Bhp/150 Nm power hike then it's a no brainer. It's the fact that they don't have gearboxes/clutches
strong enough to sustain the torque for extended periods(read years without breaking) but there are loads of motorsport twin/triple clutches that can withstand the abuse but they cost £££ and don't last years ! The only downside is them aftermarket clutches don't have the stock feel and are a touch grabby and it would not suit the old farts which buy them in the first place !