PDA

View Full Version : Coupe door probs

guy m
12-07-2007, 08:24 PM
Hi everybody.I hope someone can help me as I am in dire need of help.

I currently own a 95 2.6e coupe which I adore but is causing me a few problems I hope someone can help me with.Please,please,please.
Neither of my drivers door handles will open the door!!!.I've tried using a "slim jim" to sort it but the prob seems to be in the locking mechanism itself and not the actuators.

The central locking seems to be working as it should.The passenger door works as it should.Buttons go up and down as they should, but neither handle on drivers door actually operates the catch to release the U shaped catch that goes over the pin which is mounted on the car body.
We had a local RAC man spend 3 hours the other day have a go at it and he confirmed what I thought, which is the actual locking mechanism in the block mounted on the door is at fault, not either of the actuaters which go into it which are pulled by the handles.

What I need to know is how can I open the door without jemmying it open?.A suggestion was made that I should get another door trim and then prize the original off or cut a big hole in it to get to the mechanism.This I'm not sure will work because the catch is bolted through the edge of the door and I dont know what is to be gained by getting to the inside of the catch.

Both the catch on the body of the car and the locking mechanism are bolted from the outside so the bolts are also inaccessable when the door is closed.
The only other thing I can think of is to take apart the passenger door to see how it works.
Is there any other way to get the door open or do I have to destroy the door trim and or the door to sort it?.

Please help as I dont like to think that there isn't any answer and I have to take a crowbar to the door and start being brutal with my baby.

scotty33
19-07-2007, 01:03 AM
You should be able to remove the inner door pull, If the cable is detatched or snapped at the doorpull, then you may be able to open it off the cable?

guy m
19-07-2007, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the advice mate but had the inner door handle off and the cable is fine but the door stiil doesnt open.

catgroom
29-07-2007, 07:18 PM
Hi mate!

Tell me to stop being an airhead,but with mine I thought this was the case.It was rather embarrasing.The doors had dropped!!!!Being so heavy we couldnt open the doors,without tuggus maximus!!

Did it using a panel beating flipper and mutton cloth wrapped around it...

Then,adjusted doors.

A long shot I know,but may just be the case.....

Steve