PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest Quote for retro fitting Cruise Control

Loofer
12-07-2007, 08:02 PM
Was hoping to find out if anybody has ever come across a cheaper price than that outlined below (in Manchester or Liverpool region).

This was a written quote I got in early June from Lookers VW in Burnley.

£150 incl of parts & Labour. I think thats good considering its from a VW Dealer. Unfortunately my local chain of Dealers (Smith Knight Fay) won't do a price match.

The part itself is £65 so if anyone knew how to fit it themselves would be a bargain. I've seen a DIY guide online but I wouldn't feel confident doing it.

Loofer
13-08-2007, 08:04 PM
bump:o

Ben
13-08-2007, 08:25 PM
I paid that price. Bit their arm off in fact. Surely Vw dealers are Vw dealers, regardless who the parent company is. Listers wanted 150 and so did ventura and so does Lookers. Clearly your dealer that is more expensive has enough business without fitting your CC. :confused:

So there is such a thing as an uneven playing field.

Loofer
13-08-2007, 08:34 PM
I paid that price. Bit their arm off in fact. Surely Vw dealers are Vw dealers, regardless who the parent company is. Listers wanted 150 and so did ventura and so does Lookers. Clearly your dealer that is more expensive has enough business without fitting your CC. :confused:

So there is such a thing as an uneven playing field.

Well I went to my local dealers again today.

They quoted £200 saying it was 1.5 hr job. I told them about this other written quote I had and also that the VW official website advertise retro fitting to MK5 as an accessory for £150. Surely it must be commercially viable to charge 1hr labour if the're advertising it. No luck

Tried ringin another VW (part of same group) 3 miles away. They said it can't eb done on Bora because it dosn't show on their menu/system. I gave the part number. 'Oh it's only fo Golf'. I told them I knew for fact it could be fitted. ;That may well be the case sir, but we would be unwiling to do that. If you've had a quote then I would suggest you get them to do it if they know they can do it'

AArrrgh

Luckily I've still got written quote so I'm gona give Lookers a call and hopefully they will still honour it (from May)

Loofer
22-09-2007, 07:03 PM
After starting the job on August Bank Holiday weekend I've finally finished fitting the Cruise Control kit (after getting some help from some helpful chaps at a group meet).

Cost £60
Time 2 hours (it took me much longer but 2 hours is ample... maybe even 1hr 15mins if you know what your doing)

If anybody round Manchester wants to do theirs then I'm willing to help out.

richwig83
23-09-2007, 11:23 AM
Hi ppl, first post.

I got my MkV done a week ago for £150 at Gilbert Lawton on Chester Road Manc... they damaged the steering wheel inserts in the process.... ohh and they now say they cant get them anymore :)

Loofer
23-09-2007, 03:21 PM
Hi ppl, first post.

I got my MkV done a week ago for £150 at Gilbert Lawton on Chester Road Manc... they damaged the steering wheel inserts in the process.... ohh and they now say they cant get them anymore :)
So what now? I'd be seriously miffed.

I suppose they would have to replace the whole steering wheel or column rather than just any particular component. Don't l'em get away with it

Oh and welcome to the forum;)

richwig83
23-09-2007, 03:31 PM
So what now? I'd be seriously miffed.

I suppose they would have to replace the whole steering wheel or column rather than just any particular component. Don't l'em get away with it

Oh and welcome to the forum;)

Well ive gotta wait 2 weeks for them to do a stock check in germany for the parts. The inserts they have ordered recently for other people have come back black not grey.

But hey....the cruise control works:nervous: