PDA

View Full Version : New MOT Rules for 2012?

Bratty
16-06-2011, 05:20 AM
Does anyone definetely know (or has been privvy to the latest draft) of the proposed new changes to the current MOT regs?

I am assuming HID will be a big feature but what else?

Dunk

scotty33
03-07-2011, 05:50 PM
Not sure if correct, but read somewhere that remapped cars will fail? I would be interested if anybody could confirm either way?

Bratty
03-07-2011, 08:13 PM
Front and rear lights single operation.
Main beam warning light.
Steering lock mechanism.
Illumination of malfunction indicator light (MIL) for electric power steering, electronic stability control, electronic park brake control, brake fluid warning lamp, tyre pressure monitoring system and airbag/pre-tensioner.
Drivers seat adjustment.
Speedometer.

Headlamp cleaning and self-levelling if high-intensity discharge (HID) lamps are fitted.
Products on the lens that reduce light output.

Continuity of towbar 13 pin electric socket.
Inappropriate towbar repairs or modifications.

Gas Leak detection spray to confirm the existence of a leak(LPG cars)

Rear passenger doors opening.
All door hinges, catches and pillars.

Catalytic converter missing.

Inappropriate brake system repairs or modifications.
Defective ABS or ESC components.

Battery and wiring.
Power Steering oil level.
Damaged or corroded power steering pipes or hose.
Engine mountings.

Steering and suspension joint dust covers.
Inappropriate steering repairs or modifications.
Steering lock stops.
Steering box oil leakage.
Inappropriate suspension repairs or modifications.
Drive shaft support bearings and coupling gaiters.

And in more detail.

Lighting.
Headlamps. Vehicles fitted with High Intensity Discharge (HID) and LED light sources will have a new reason for rejection, "A mandatory headlamp levelling or cleaning device missing, inoperative or otherwise obviously defective."

Steering control.
The law requires that vehicles are fitted with some sort of anti-theft mechanism as minimum security protection. Commonly, this is achieved by use of steering locks, transmission locks or gearshift locks. Where a steering lock mechanism is fitted as standard, testers must now check if one is present and operational.

Steering system.
Before the days of MOT Computerisation, many testers incorrectly failed steering and suspension ball joints if the dust cover was split or missing. Well, thanks to the Directive, these items will be included in the test – so if a ball joint dust cover is missing or no longer keeps the dirt out, testers will be able to correctly fail the vehicle.
Sub-section 2.2D covers the steering lock-to-lock check, and will now also cover any significant oil leaks from the steering box and whether any ‘fitted as standard’ steering lock stops are missing. This is more likely to affect those of you testing larger Class 5 vehicles, as not too many light vehicles are fitted with external lock stops.

Power steering.
Checks to power steering will now include a check of the fluid level. But because there is no need to remove the reservoir cap, the check will only apply where the fluid level is visible in the reservoir.
Any inappropriate repair or modification to a power steering component will result in a failure – so a pair of tights in place of the drive belt will not be acceptable! The serious misalignment or fouling of power steering components is also an RfR.
The inspection of fluid pipes for damage and fouling will now also include excessive corrosion.
If a malfunction indicator lamp – fitted to warn the driver of a problem with electronic power steering – is illuminated, indicating a failure in the system, this will be an RfR.

Suspension, wheel bearings and drive shafts.
Testers should be careful to consider the guidance in the information column and the introduction section of the MOT inspection manual before rejecting any modified or repaired suspension components. But to make life easier, the team at VOSA has replaced all the RfRs for unacceptable repairs with a single RfR.
You are already checking all front drive shafts and those at the rear that form part of the suspension. As a result of the Directive, you will also have to check, where fitted, support bearings for excessive wear, and drive shaft inner coupling gaiters that are missing. The RfR for gaiters has also been changed to cover all aspects of the gaiter failing to keep the dirt out. Front to rear propshafts still remain outside the scope of the test.

Parking brake lever mechanism and associated mountings.
Electronic parking brake (EPB) controls have been added to this section, and testers will have to make sure that all parking brake controls have not been ‘inappropriately repaired or modified’. The team at VOSA has defined this as ‘when the repair is obviously likely to adversely affect the roadworthiness of the vehicle or if any modification has seriously weakened the component’. If the vehicle is fitted with an EPB, testers must also check that the EPB warning lamp does not indicate a fault.

Service brake control.
As before, testers will be asked to check that the control has not been inappropriately repaired or modified.

Anti-lock braking systems
Also included under this section are checks to any electronic stability control (ESC) system fitted – called variously ESC, Electronic Stability Programme (ESP), Dynamic Stability Control (DSC), etc. To take account of the additional item, the section has been renamed ‘Anti-lock Braking and Electronic Stability Control Systems’.
The new checks will cover the condition of ABS/ESC components (which are generally common to both systems), electrical wiring, the ESC switch, and the presence and operation of the ESC malfunction indicator lamp.

Mechanical brake components.
Additional checks of the security of brake cables, rods and joints must be made and testers should fail any mechanical brake component if it has been inappropriately repaired or modified. The condition and operation of brake slack adjusters – usually only fitted to very large vehicles with air braking systems – should also be checked.

Braking systems and additional braking devices.
To avoid the repetition of certain checks that apply to a number of sub-sections, the team at VOSA has changed the title of sub-section 3.6A of the inspection manual from ‘Leaks’ to ‘All Braking Systems’. Leaks will still be part of this sub-section, but checks on the security, condition and operation of braking system components have been added. Checks for inappropriate repairs or modifications to braking system components will also be included.
As well as brake valves, sub-section 3.6E will contain additional checks on load-sensing valves. Originally only checking the linkage, testers will now need to check if the valve itself is also:
• seized or inoperative
• defective so that its function is impaired
• incorrectly adjusted.
Testers already check the brake fluid level – but the brake fluid warning lamp being illuminated or inoperative will be a new RfR.

Brake performance.
Another new RfR coming in at the end of 2011 is if, during a decelerometer test, the vehicle deviates from a straight line when the parking brake is applied.

Alledgedly!

Dunk

bricam1
24-11-2011, 02:29 PM
Cars was in for its MOT last week (Passed). Anyway got chatting about the business and he was talking about investing money so that he could do class 5 MOT's. But was not sure he would as there are rumours that MOT's are going to go to every 2 years.

Is there any truth in this?

Bratty
24-11-2011, 03:33 PM
Yes the MOT will change 2012, not for a two year one But for a much more REALISTIC one!?!
Dunk

Col
24-11-2011, 07:31 PM
That'll see almost all mini cabs off the roads then.

r4vse
24-11-2011, 07:49 PM
Does that also mean that bright white bulbs like the night breaker will also be a failure?

Bratty
24-11-2011, 08:05 PM
Does that also mean that bright white bulbs like the night breaker will also be a failure?

No, cause they cannot measure incandesense (brightness) unless they have cause to take a bulb out and examine!! Both bulbs (Left/Right) must be the same brightness and colour.

Dunk

r4vse
24-11-2011, 08:08 PM
No, cause they cannot measure incandesense (brightness) unless they have cause to take a bulb out and examine!! Both bulbs (Left/Right) must be the same brightness and colour.

Dunk

ahh thats great, glad that isnt a problem as my mot is coming up soon :-)

JimC64
25-11-2011, 01:31 AM
Not sure if correct, but read somewhere that remapped cars will fail? I would be interested if anybody could confirm either way?

Bloody hell I hope not or there'll be a helluva lot of cars failing their MOT!!:scared:

Bratty
25-11-2011, 06:38 AM
Bloody hell I hope not or there'll be a helluva lot of cars failing their MOT!!:scared:

Pretty sure that remaps cars WILL NOT! be checked. The New MOT is pretty much what the Germans have enforced for years and checking cars to see if a remap has been carried out is too labour intensive.

Dunk

Bratty
25-11-2011, 04:21 PM
If you Google "MOT 2012 6.1.9" you will be swamped by hits on this "Engine Modification" Stuff!! There is A LOT!!?!! of speculation and scare-mongering.

Ambiguity and interpretation seems to be mandatory when it comes to drafting MOT Rules and they have done it again? How can they check EVERY different type of cars ECU that exists? As I stated above the Rules are being changed to bring some sort of alignment with EU countries and my experiences from Germany are that a re-map that is NOT Visible will not be of interest! Whereas if you have a piggy back upgrade the size of a "Flux Capacitor" stabbing the tester in the eye you might get picked on!

Where would it stop!! A ported head with Hot Camshafts would technically be a fail and thats Stoopid!!

Dunk

scotty33
25-11-2011, 05:30 PM
Where would it stop!! A ported head with Hot Camshafts would technically be a fail and thats Stoopid!!

Dunk

I agree it restricts freedom of choice, but the fact is the emissions will be affected by these mods, even if it is capable of meeting the limits for that vehicle, it will likely pollute more than a standard engine. If it goes the way of the continent, then I see us having to content ourselves with an airfilter change and no more than that...

Bratty
28-11-2011, 11:50 PM
1,287 views and 12 replies!

Perhaps a reflection of the "Lack" of information and clarity on MOT Rule (Update 2012)!!

Or are members just covering their ears and hoping that if they do not acknowledge that change is imminent that this "EU" cloud will go away??

I do not think that it is actually a bad thing!! and people who challenge it? have to think!?! Do I want East European (cheap labour) tractor units ie.front bits of Artics! (which CAN!! have wheels that have No bolts but are welded on! Driving on the Motorway next to me! pulling British trailer units) on British roads cause its cheaper for the haulage company?.

On the same vain do you think that Europeans want British cars that are unroadworthy on their roads??

Dunk

Crasher
29-11-2011, 12:02 AM
I am just disappointed that they are not going to jump up and down on the soft squidgy man bits of those with HID kits... especially the ones who fit them in reflector headlights.

Bratty
29-11-2011, 12:17 AM
They potentially are! Thats where this Good Old British wooliness comes in!! instead of employing people with Euro experience (prob Romanians:)) that can "Tech Auth" the Draft Copy of the upgrade, they give it to the Carbuncle that has been doing MOTs´since "The MG sprite" days!!?!! to make sure its bulletproof!

We Won Wars by Inginuity!!?!!

Dunk

phil miller
29-11-2011, 11:57 PM
The main ones are warning lights on dash and steering pipes

THEY WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SEE IF YOUR CAR IS MAPPED

It would cost to much to bring it in!

The biggest problem is a 6 yr old Vauxhall that has on warm up an issue with the lambda sensor, it pass the emissions test but because the management light is on it has to fail, there are loads of cars with a problem like this (mostly vauxhalls) so there will be loads more failures

Bratty
30-11-2011, 05:21 AM
The main ones are warning lights on dash and steering pipes

THEY WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SEE IF YOUR CAR IS MAPPED

It would cost to much to bring it in!

The biggest problem is a 6 yr old Vauxhall that has on warm up an issue with the lambda sensor, it pass the emissions test but because the management light is on it has to fail, there are loads of cars with a problem like this (mostly vauxhalls) so there will be loads more failures

Remove the Bulb

Dunk

TurboSteve
30-11-2011, 07:48 AM
The mapped/chipped cars will only fail if the MOT exhaust sniffer test picks up excessive emissions. most mapped car owner keep their vehicles well maintained - so this won't be an issue.
Single biggest failures are going to be the silly little dust covers split or missing off suspension ball joints. I think every car i have looked at has one or more of these damaged. These will now fail even if the joints are sound!
A whole new market is going to pop up around selling and repalcing them!!
The new MOT directives are being implemented to boost our economy (the motorist is always the easy touch) IMHO of course.

The 'softner' is that they are moving to once every two years instead - but what's the bet that the price of an MOT will double!!

phil miller
30-11-2011, 09:03 AM
Remove the Bulb

Dunk

They have thought of that, the rule is the light must come on and then go off when engine started

Bratty
01-12-2011, 01:17 AM
So! has anyone in the KNOW! got some reliable info as to where Normal Punters can be enlightened! Officially! Or is it just going to be introduced? The two year MOT? has THAT been approved?

Dunk

Bratty
04-12-2011, 02:21 AM
Seems the Government have raised to the challange and ACTUALLY!!?!! Published SOMETHING!! As expected a "Wishhy washy" compelation of confusing ambiguous Statements that will leave the MOT tester to "Interpret the New Rules as he sees fit!"

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/MOT%20Inspection%20Manual.pdf

Chapter 1.7 refering to HID and LED lights MAY!! have levelling and washing devices fitted???

So you are bound to find an examiner who is not interested in wether HID systems are dangerous without them fitted or not.

Also where does it state that DPF Delete is a failure? (Is a Diesel not subjected to the "Compression ignition test" only?)

The Spark Ignition Engine test is quite clear! Cars fitted originally with a Catalyser Must have it fitted.

Dunk

Crasher
04-12-2011, 02:23 PM
It ironic isn't it, a petrol engined car EVER fitted with a cat from new (so overriding the 92 onwards start point previously enforced) must have a cat now but diesels can spew out as much as they like as long as they pass the smoke test. Diesel particulate emissions cause cancer for Gods sake!

mikeybutch
04-12-2011, 05:16 PM
It ironic isn't it, a petrol engined car EVER fitted with a cat from new (so overriding the 92 onwards start point previously enforced) must have a cat now but diesels can spew out as much as they like as long as they pass the smoke test. Diesel particulate emissions cause cancer for Gods sake!Thats strength in numbers for you.They cant throw all diesels off the road at once

Bratty
05-12-2011, 04:50 AM
BUT! Fact is that DPF delete IS allowed!!

I have nothing against change and performance enhancement, as long as peeps are willing to acknowledge that they have to be accountable!

A car wit a stupidly low emissions (Or super Green!?!) category, because it is strangled cannot be "Released from its artificual (fake!)" constraints, and then be expected to be allocated "The same allowances" Why does the company - Just Not Bother? To me it is simply fraud?

Dunk

Crasher
05-12-2011, 11:51 AM
BUT! Fact is that DPF delete IS allowed!!

Quite a few cars were voluntarily fitted by the manufactures with catalytic converters from approx 1989 before it became mandatory for cars built after August 1992 and so those cars could have the cat removed and personally I did hundreds. Now they have moved the goal posts so that ANY petrol engined car EVER built with a catalyst must have one so who is to say that in a few years time when all diesel engined cars sold in Europe have a DPF by law, that they won't change the rules to say that if it was built with a DPF, it must have one? I can see the day in a few years where I will be doing a roaring trade in re-equipping cars with the DPF removed a few years before.

Guest 2
20-12-2011, 02:00 PM
Got my MOT reminder for the A6 in the post this morning and enclosed was a 'Summary of Changes' to the MOT in 2012.

Please Note - This is Northern Ireland's MOT which is slightly different to tests on the mainland, so things may be different :)

Edit - I should've read the first page .. Doh!

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz90/57_audi/Everything%20Else/586292d0.jpg

vwcabriolet1971
20-12-2011, 06:26 PM
I wonder how will the MOT station check my wife's 2003 1.9TDI Polo's power steering hydraulic fluid level .The filler cap & dipstick for this are underneath the battery !

Bratty
20-12-2011, 11:17 PM
I wonder how will the MOT station check my wife's 2003 1.9TDI Polo's power steering hydraulic fluid level .The filler cap & dipstick for this are underneath the battery !

It seems that the level check is ONLY! required if the resevoir is visible (MOT Chapter 2.3 item 1).

Also if you read the text on the HID issue!, it states that self-levelling and washers CAN!!!! be fitted on the first column! Very woolly

Dunk

Crasher
21-12-2011, 11:38 AM

You can just about see it from below.