PDA

View Full Version : T5 Transporter Using Water

david64
12-07-2007, 03:44 PM
Hi, my dad has a T5 Transporter which he bought new in May 2006. It is a SWB 130bhp model.

We have noticed that it uses water. We set it at the maximum level when cold and over a short period of time (a few days to a week) and during general usage and motorway trips the next time we check it the water level has fallen to below the minimum level. We top it back up but it just keep losing water some how.

The dealer has looked at it four times. They have checked it/tested it for leaks but couldnt find anything, they have fitted two new water pumps and most recently a new cylinder head due to known problems but it still uses water just the same. We are also concerned as to where the water is going and if it is damaging something else.

We are starting to get a bit sick of it now as it has also needed a new turbo and the last time it was off the road having work done in respect of the leak it was at the dealers for nearly two weeks and during that time we were supplied with a series of dodgy hire vans, one of which wouldnt turn off at night with the key but would turn off when you switched the lights off!!!

Anybody know what might be causing our van to lose water???

Freshup
12-07-2007, 11:47 PM
Hi,
Had a T4 with unknown water leak 100000ml. Head off twice, pressure tested, water pump etc. Finally engine out, pressure test block found pin hole in middle of one bore. While boring cyl to fit sleeve pinhole became longer split indicating faulty casting, too thin around water jacket.
Best of luck
John

plumb bob
15-07-2007, 09:51 AM
It's in warrenty, get the dealer to sort it out, it's their problem not yours or ours, why bother even posting, nobody cares.

david64
16-07-2007, 04:03 PM
Freshup: thanks for the repsonse, we were thinking along the lines of a leak as you described.

Plumb bob: Get a life!

aggiesurf
23-09-2008, 06:54 AM
Hi David, Did this ever get resolved? if so can you tell me what the cause was as my 130BHP SWB has developed the exact same fault :mad:

Regards,

Mike

david64
24-09-2008, 03:26 PM
Hi aggiesurf,

In short, no the issue is not resolved, its still loosing water.

Dont think my Dads been back to the dealers with it since I posted so nothing further to add at the moment. He has though told the dealer that the problem is still there and it is due to go back to the dealers at a time thats convenient for us.

We were talking about it the other night and my Dad mentioned that he had spoken to another owner who had the same problem and it turned out to be an internal leak but I dont know anymore than that.

My Dads pretty peed off to be honest, firstly that it uses water, secondly that they cant sort it out and thirdly that we loose our van for a few weeks each time they have a go at it. Our vans coming up to three years old and as we normally trade ours in after 3 years for a new one I suspect that this issue will never get resolved whilst we own it.

I will let you know how we get on in due course and I would be grateful if you could let me know if they find any problems with yours,

Cheers

Dave

aggiesurf
28-09-2008, 03:11 PM
Hi, thanks for replying, my brother's van has the exact same problem, it's going to the garage soon so will let you know if they work out what it is:confused:

cloudranger
29-09-2008, 02:38 PM
Hi, thanks for replying, my brother's van has the exact same problem, it's going to the garage soon so will let you know if they work out what it is:confused:

We have a 2003 T5 Multivan (2.5TDI) (174 bhp?) which last week just started losing water as described above. No mayo in the oil, no steam out of the exhaust, no visible leaks on the ground, but over a few days it loses about 1ltr of water.

Not sure if it loses it when running or standing as we never get to leave it long enough to be able to work out one way or the other.

It's off to the dealer shortly for them to have a look at it, so if and when I learn more I'll provide some feedback. One thing, I certainly don't want the head off or the engine out and don't want weeks of downtime so I'm hoping it's something simple!

T5 TDI
30-09-2008, 05:52 PM
Sounds like a classic description of a water pump (which is internal) leaking. Threre is loads on this on the brickyard site.

cloudranger
01-10-2008, 12:23 AM
Sounds like a classic description of a water pump (which is internal) leaking. Threre is loads on this on the brickyard site.

Thanks for the great info - I had a scan around and found a link to the brickyard site (had no idea what it was before today).

Anyway, have read all about it an know how much work is involved (looks way too tight a job to me!) , so I think I'll have to leave this one up to the dealer. Fingers crossed it is the water pump and not a cracked block or head gasket.

Call me old fashioned but I always hated the thought of the head coming off (I did several valve changes and gasket changes way back with beetles and old renaults I have had, but then they were worth nothing, and I was young and foolish back then).

T5 TDI
02-10-2008, 10:19 PM
Cylinder head gasket problems seem to be blissfully rare on our T5's so far, but there are two other problems that I'm sure will easily be wrongly diagnosed as leaking head gaskets by many garages. Your water pump is one. From what we have seen at http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/ the waterpump problem affects mostly early vans. I think it was modified sometime in '05.

For info- Water pump leaks usually lead to coolant sitting at the bottom of the sump but not necessarily mixing with the oil so look for serious coolant loss and an unexplained rise in engine oil level.

The other possibility is leaking seals on the oil cooler. It seems that VW are replacing seals/oil coolers free on vans that may be affected but only if they come in for other work or if you specifically ring up and ask. This fault is more easily mistaken for head gasket problems because the oil and coolant do get churned up leading to the classic sump full double cream. Usually the cooling system gets contaminated too and some owners have reported many visits to the dealer before the cooling system is truly clean again.

simonfran
07-10-2008, 03:45 AM
I used to have a similar problem (which seems to have gone away), but now the coolant warning light intermittantly comes on for no reason. All levels are fine, and the temp is sitting at an acceptable level.

Any ideas? This is bugging me

Cheers

Si

T5 TDI
07-10-2008, 12:12 PM
If you are sure it really is the coolant level light and the level is correct then it should be a faulty switch. However I did read online somewhere that if the coolant is contaminated with engine oil it can make the switch malfunction. I don't know if this is true.

If there is oil in the coolant it could be the oil cooler seals mentioned (before anyone leaps in and takes the head off). Also VW will pay for the whole oil cooler job if yours is on their list. Check with your dealer.

roy tomlinson
27-11-2008, 05:32 PM
we have had an egr cooler replaced on our works t32 ,the dealer said its a common fault ,they crack . hope this helps