PDA

View Full Version : Buying Advice Needed

Alun
12-07-2007, 01:57 PM
Hi All!

I'm thinking of upgrading my car within the next few months to an Audi A4 TDi. Now I've been looking at various makes and models of cars and I originally wanted a Mondeo TDCi. But now however I have decided I want to stick with Ze Germans and Get an A4, either the 1.9 or the 2.5 TDi ('96-'01), either way it has to be diesel. I want at least the 110bhp version but I was just wondering is there anything I should be looking out for when I eventually get round to buying one? I've heard the air flow meter is something to look out for but other than that I'm clueless. Can anyone give any pointers?

Also, I'd seriously want the 2.5 TDi, how good/reliable are these engines? And what is the fuel economy like? I currently run around in a Golf MK3 TD (not the TDi) which gives around 45mpg but I've read on Parkers.co.uk that the 2.5 gives around 40mpg. I'd preferbly like to save myself a few quid and get more mpg, how true are the figures? I'd mostly be doing motorway miles.

Can anyone give any advice help?

Cheers all :beerchug:

(I have posted this in the Audi section but it's not getting any response)

Jabez
12-07-2007, 02:39 PM
Hi
I'v owned, and driven thousands of miles in both these models.... the 2.5 Tdi is a lovely engine... But 6 hours to do a cam belt (due at 80k) and you should do a water pump whilst your in so deep... they do only give you 40 ish mpg although I did strech that to 44mpg once on a long sensible run... now the 1.9 tdi 110 will give you 50mpg all day long, and they perform reasonably well, you could always get a remap that would give you lots of extra power and in most circumstances mpg can be slightly improved as well. A remap would easily make the 1.9 perform like a 2.5.
Just be on the look out for one with genuine service history ...
Cheers
mcc

Alun
12-07-2007, 02:57 PM
Cheers mcc.

I did have the idea of getting a 2.5 and getting that remapped, but 6 hours to do a cambelt change would prove costly on the labour rate at a local garage as I wouldn't be able to do it myself. I'd preferbly want MPG over MPH but it would be nice to have the extra poke from a 2.5, but as you said, it's easilly gainable from the 110 version.

What trim levels are available? The only one I know of are the SE models, which I presume are the top spec (bar Quattro?). I do want a high spec model with the climate control, Traction Control and Cruise Control options.

Also, how do I identify the 90, 110 and 115bhp versions?

Any help would be greatley appreciated :beerchug: