PDA

View Full Version : Golf MK5 Electrical Gremlins

kryten2001
12-07-2007, 09:40 AM
Hi Guys -

We've got a problem with our MK5 golf, which I thought maybe some of you gurus might have an answer for (our dealer is scratching his head.. Not a good sign).

First symptom was the traction control light came on - and couldn't be turned off by pressing the button on the console. Sometimes it went away by turning the ignition on/off, but eventually after driving around for a while - it would pop back on again.

That went on for a while, then all of a sudden the following other glitches started up:

1) Radio turns itself on all by itself. Sometimes in the middle of the night (Scary).

2) ALL of the dashboard lights come on (and I mean all of them).

3) All of the GEAR selector lights come on (so the car is in every gear at once). Plus the current gear number (1-6) stays locked in one gear (even though I might be parked). I even had it idling in neutral, and the car told me it was in 6th....

4) When #3 occurs, on occasion the (get this) Trip meter resets itself to 0.0.

I took it into the dealer a few weeks ago, and they connected it up to their diagnostic doo-dad, and it reported a litany of problems, including low coolant and low battery warnings.

Oh yeah, the other thing I've noticed is the car on occasion, runs it's thermofans absolutely flat out (even though I might be driving along on a very cool day)....

Knowing VW it's probably a faulty boot sensor or something, but I was wondering whether you guys had any experience in any of the above faults, as like I said, it's got my local dealer simply giving me the "we cannot replicate the fault" type response...

Thanks all.

kryten2001
16-07-2007, 03:12 AM
Well problem solved. I knew it would be something stupid.

Turns out all these problems were being caused by a faulty water temperature sensor... (!!!!)