PDA

View Full Version : Passat 1.8 TSI Unpleasant Resonance While Engine Revs at 1200 RPM

theshark
09-06-2011, 03:49 PM
Hi Folks,

G'day from Australia!

We just bought our first VW, a 2011 (B7) Passat 118TSI Wagon here in Australia. It's built in Germany with 118KW / 1.8 turbo petrol engine equivalent to 1.8 TSI in the UK.

On day one, my wife noticed unpleasant annoying resonance when engine revs around 1200 RPM or when the car is coasting to a stop which is similar to a review found on the net with regards to a 2006 built Volkswagen Passat,

"Noise, vibration and harshness levels are low, although our test car had an annoying, inexplicable resonance which seemed to emanate from the drive train on a trailing accelerator at 80-100km/h, or as it coasted to a stop."

The full review can be found on mynrma website below,
Volkswagen Passat V6 1000km Road Test, Date: 1 September 2006
http://www.mynrma.com.au/motoring/re...-road-test.htm (http://www.mynrma.com.au/motoring/reviews/car-reviews/volkswagen/passat-v6-1000km-road-test.htm)

I tried to drive the car while engine revved at 1200 RPM, speed 30 km/h (20 mph) several times one day. The resonance didn't stop until engine revved up above 1400 RPM or below 1000 RPM. It would be very annoying if I am driving through a school zone during school hours.

I test drove dealer's demo Passat 1.8 TSI again last Sunday, and the car has the same issue. Took our car to the dealer's service dept last Tuesday. A mechanic who test drove the car confirmed the unpleasant noise/humming/resonance while engine was revving around 1200 RPM. Later in the afternoon, a mechanic also confirmed that the demo car they have has same issue.

Yesterday the dealer's service dept told us that VW Australia confirmed that the issue we raised was just normal operational noise. We are not convinced of the answer.

We have been given a loan car, which is a 2010 built 3.2 litre V6 Wagon AWD (B6). This loan car does NOT have any unpleasant resonance at any normal driving RPM range. I suspect the issue is an individual/batch problem, rather than a design related problem.

We would like to see the acknowledgement of the issue and its intension to address the issue from VAG, and VAG engineering's explanation of the cabin resonance/noise/humming at 1200rpm and the bases for its acceptance. But the answer from VW Australia is really disappointing.

Tried to get some help from a local forum but no 1.8 TSI owner had similar problem. There are not many Passat sold here in Australia though.

Has anyone experienced similar problem with your 1.8 TSI there in the UK?

The whole experience with the dealer has been nothing short of sensational and we really appreciated their help. But I'm afraid this would be our first and last VAG car.

Thanks.

theshark
10-06-2011, 08:56 AM
Update

Picked the car back from dealer service dept. On Service Invoice, it shows "Resonance through vehicle at 1200 RPM. Road test vehicle for noise. Identified concern. Contacted VGA technical department in regards to issue. At this point and time it is not a known concern and no further action be taken as advised by VGA"

The mechanic was helpful and told me at least 15 complaints for the same issue from a single country is needed to for VAG to look into it.

I'd like to draw all B7 Passat 1.8 TSI owners' attention to check if your car has the same issue. Ours does, so does dealer's demo car.

The best way to test is driving through a 20 mph school zone during school hours, listening the resonance/noise/humming level while your tacho is at 1200 RPM.

Thanks in advance for your help.