PDA

View Full Version : Blocked oil strainer-Anyone help?

les miserables
11-07-2007, 11:50 PM
Hi All,

Have had a fortnight of trying to repair my 2001 A6 1.8 petrol engine-oil light came on on trip home from work,by the time I reached home,car dead.Had an acquaintance who used to work for Audi who has diagnosed camchain tensioner and turbo.So far have replaced tensioner,turbo,oil pump and full set of tappets-all brand new parts,not used.Still have a problem,symtoms are tappets are rattling and have a blocked oil strainer.I cant get hold of my "advisor" and am hoping someone can shed a little light on this problem.Any advice appreciated -Cheers:1zhelp: :zx11:

Crasher
11-07-2007, 11:57 PM
Is this a 1.8T petrol?

les miserables
12-07-2007, 12:05 AM
Yes mate,should have stated that in thread.

Peter D
12-07-2007, 07:24 AM
I hate this black background. However, if you have changed the oil pump then how come you did not check the strainer. There have been issues with strainers in the USA due to hotter running temps although they change the oil every 6000 miles tops. Have you actaully measured the oil pressure. ?? Regards Peter

tallpall2006
13-07-2007, 01:10 PM
Hello there. I too have a 1.8T 1999 - it had a tapping when started from cold which seemed to take a little while to go. A freind of mine is a VWAudi garage and said that due to the svs intervals quoted by Audi the strainer can start to clog which results in firstly tapping then if left turbo oil starvation and then turbo failure. It required the sump being removed and the pump strainer in the sump being removed and then thoroughly cleaned. He has done loads of these and once it was done the top end rattle has now stopped. Just my experience with similar problem to you maybe!

les miserables
13-07-2007, 03:29 PM
Thanks for suggestions-appreciated.Have tried all-still same.Anyone know a good mechanic/garage in Cardiff area who would home visit-although engine starts fine,rattling noise makes me reluctant to drive. Cant really afford main dealer,have spent megabucks already!! Cheers Steve

Crasher
13-07-2007, 03:31 PM
Did you change the valve timing adjuster between the cams? These can rattle.

les miserables
13-07-2007, 03:32 PM
Cheers mate
Have already tried that,no improvement,at wits end now,but thnx for your help.

les miserables
13-07-2007, 03:54 PM
Cheers Crasher,Bought and fitted new valve timing adjuster from Audi at cost of £276+vat-any chance could be faulty?

Peter D
13-07-2007, 04:31 PM
AGAIN. Have you actually measured the oil pressure from a cold start. And when you change the pump did you, or your mech check the strainer. Regards Peter

A4Chris
13-07-2007, 10:30 PM
Hi

I used to live in Cardiff and can recommend Whitchurch MOT in the Whitchurch area of Cardiff (they didn't know my Audi though - used to do all the work on my wifes Mondeo). An excellent local garage with reasonable rates. Not sure if they do home visits though?

P.S - I had the blocked oil strainer problem on my A4 1.8T when I first got it. Very common with this engine I'm afraid - I believe its related to high turbo temperature creating sludge deposits in the oil which build up and clog the strainer (do a search on the forums and you will see how common this is). Once you get sorted, make sure you change the oil every 7500 miles (not 10,000 as per service recommendation) and use a flush oil and new filter on every change. Luckily I caught mine in time to avoid any engine / turbo damage but the fix required dropping the front suspension and removing the sump to replace the complete oil pump / pickup assembly.

Good luck