PDA

View Full Version : engine breathing

dangerous
11-07-2007, 07:53 PM
Hi,

I have just got a 2003 golf gt tdi 130, it has done 57,000 miles.

I have noticed that if I remove the oil filler cap whilst the engine is running the engine breathes excessively! is this anything to worry about? has anyone had this problem?

The reason Im concerned is I have just traded in my Passat tdi, partly because it was doing the same thing and two garages told me it was caused by engine wear!

any help would be great, not having much luck with my vw's lately.

Dangerous

Col
11-07-2007, 07:56 PM
A certain amount is quite normal and the engines are designed to have a positive pressure to aid the breathing.

The gases in the crankcase being under a slight pressure are more easily drawn / forced out into the inlet tract.

dangerous
11-07-2007, 08:04 PM
Hi thanks for the fast reply! I guess its hard to describe how much its breathing, it does seem quite a bit worse than other cars Ive seen, and for the mechanics to draw attention to it.

but on the other hand it would be very unlucky to have two vw tdi's with the same fault (if it is a fault) with out it being a common fault to the engine.

I would also add both cars start and run perfectly, (well the passat did until it developed other problems).