PDA

View Full Version : Sat Nav - Navigate to Long Lat

D4D
04-06-2011, 01:38 AM
Hi,
Just a quick one, does anyone know if you can navigate to co-ordinates on the RNS315 ?

Does anyone have any info on maps updates and how we get hold of them ? Also when/if full postcode support is coming ?

jonokimber
09-07-2011, 11:10 PM
I took my new Passat Estate 2011 into the retailer for a few niggles last week. I discussed that the RNS315 satnav was next to useless for use in the UK as you cannot enter full postcodes nor can you scroll the map and select a crosshair location as your destination.

The master technician who was looking after my other niggles said he thought he'd heard that the maps had been updated and now included full postcodes. He checked a bit further and indeed i did see a printout from their official 'tech library' describing this info.

There wasn't a specific part number just yet and there was a statement saying that no upgrades to V2 maps could be given under warranty. There will be a charge to pay and i think from the two article numbers i saw it is 70 pounds or 130 pounds approx, but dont quote me on that!

I am going in again next week probably and will hope to get some more news. Anyone have any suggestions for how to get this update for free? Can i just say the original system was not fit for purpose?

Oh, to answer your other question, you cant navigate to a lat / long.

Jono

JonMarsh
16-07-2011, 10:54 AM
Have just taken receipt of Passat CC with RNS315 with MDI and DAB. It accepts full post codes (but no house number) and it can read vCard files from an SD card (giving the destination in Lat Long). I've only had to car since Thursday and have only tested the full postcode on two journeys (got me to within approx 30yds).

Will be playing with vCards this weekend and report back. If they work well, you can get the lat/long of the destinations on a PC (www.getlatlong.com (http://www.getlatlong.com)), put them on an SD card and then load then into the RNS315.:D

jonokimber
16-07-2011, 01:22 PM
Hi Jon, thanks for this info, very informative. I wonder if there is anything else we can put on the SD card and it will read it in, custom POI's would be good for speedcams etc. Can you see if you can find the version info on your satnav please? I'm wiondering if the SD card map update also updates the firmware in the satnav itself and i can see what mine is and compare it to yours. I'm going to speak to VW next week about getting mine upgraded as frankly it is awful right now.

I look forward to your next post.

Thanks

Jon

JonMarsh
16-07-2011, 06:51 PM
Have had a quick look and it doesn't appear to be able to import POI's, just Destinations. Will investigate further.

Do you know where I find the version info? It's not obvious in the menus.

jonokimber
16-07-2011, 08:58 PM
I thought I had seen an information screen with lots of info but I'm probably mistaken. I think I found the map info here though...

Sat nav

Nav menu
Setup button
Scroll to bottom
Navigation data basis
Show nav data basis info

I have western Europe W01

If you could at least confirm what map data you have that would be great. Could you also paste a couple of your lat long destinations here in the forum so I can see the format?

What file do they have to be in and what extension on the file?

I'll update how I get on at vw in the week.

thanks

Jon

gold1640
17-07-2011, 12:00 AM
Drove to Sweden last week and used my Tomtom nav unit for directions - the built-in 315 was useful for showing locations of petrol stations and VW dealers.

VW would be far better integrating a Tomtom, like Renault - would be far more useful and cheaper than a built-in unit.

--
Ian

D4D
17-07-2011, 02:06 PM
I have western Europe W01

If you could at least confirm what map data you have that would be great. Could you also paste a couple of your lat long destinations here in the forum so I can see the format?

What file do they have to be in and what extension on the file?

I second this !

I have the same version map info, I can't find any where to import any data let alone vCard data. When i put in an SD card with vCard data on it, it's blank :1zhelp:

JonMarsh
17-07-2011, 06:16 PM
The map version I have is Western Europe 031.

I have to say, the use of vCards overcomes the big shortfall I was expecting - ie, the ability to be able to program destinations via the PC. From the few journeys I've done, it seems to work well.

However, after some googling, I can't find much software to support of vCards for SatNavs (perhaps I'm searching for the wrong thing) - hopefully someone can help here.

In the (apparent) absence of software, I have determined that the minimum info required in the vCard file (.vcf extension - but simple text format) is simply the name and lat/long info. The following are examples of two files I've generated (and which import fine on the 315):

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:3.0
GEO:51.159377;-0.153379
FN;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:Airport, Gatwick
End:VCARD

GEO:51.877511;0.246141
FN;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:Airport, Stansted

I've left a Version line in there but it may not need it. I don't fully understand the complete syntax but, by trial and error, have got this to work. I've also put together an Excel workbook with a macro to generate the vCard files from a list of destinations. If nobody can point us towards some good software for doing this then I'll post the spreadsheet here (after a bit more testing).

When i put in an SD card with vCard data on it, it's blank :1zhelp:

When the SD card is inserted it provides a short message saying that it's reading the data. When I go to the Destinations selection in Navigation, the bottom left hand soft button gives the option of seeing destinations on the SD Card. It then gives the option to import them.

Passat Sport
19-07-2011, 07:17 AM
Software and hardware versions can be displayed by holding down the Setup button on the RNS 315. The main setup appears first, but, if you keep holding the button down, another menu pops up. This contains data on signal strength etc for differrent radio bands, but also a "Versions" page.

vCard format must contain the VERSION, N, and FN properties between the BEGIN:VCARD and END:VCARD entities. Other than that there are some 20 odd main properties that can be used.

May be useful if using this method to know that Google Maps can directly read out Lat/Long. If you display the destination in Google Maps, then "right click" on that destination and select (left click) "What's here?" from the drop down menu, Lat/Long is displayed in the search box.

I can appreciate that VW could justify charging for a map upgrade, but a firmware upgrade to get rid of some bugs and improve functionality should surely be supplied in the same way as an ECU change etc.

JonMarsh
19-07-2011, 12:18 PM
May be useful if using this method to know that Google Maps can directly read out Lat/Long. If you display the destination in Google Maps, then "right click" on that destination and select (left click) "What's here?" from the drop down menu, Lat/Long is displayed in the search box.

I find http://www.getlatlon.com/ very good. Always provides a Lat/Long readout for the centre of the map. Most searches seem to work (towns and postcodes) to get you to the approximate location.

D4D
19-07-2011, 01:05 PM
When the SD card is inserted it provides a short message saying that it's reading the data. When I go to the Destinations selection in Navigation, the bottom left hand soft button gives the option of seeing destinations on the SD Card. It then gives the option to import them.

I Don't get this on my unit, I've used a vCard export from outlook and copied and pasted the vCard text above into a notepad file and renamed it with the .vcf extension, when i insert the SD card it just says "Card Error" Bit miffed :(

JonMarsh
19-07-2011, 06:23 PM
The .vcf file must be in a folder called "Destinations" (at the top level on the SD card). Try using notepad to generate a .txt file with the following (I know this works):

GEO:51.159377;-0.153379
FN;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:Airport, Gatwick

The rename the file with a .vcf extension.

gold1640
19-07-2011, 07:29 PM
So, the question is how do we get hold of the Western Europe W031 update?

--
Ian

JonMarsh
19-07-2011, 08:40 PM
Software and hardware versions can be displayed by holding down the Setup button on the RNS 315. The main setup appears first, but, if you keep holding the button down, another menu pops up. This contains data on signal strength etc for differrent radio bands, but also a "Versions" page.

OK, here's the details:

Part No:
- 3C0035279B
SW version:
Sys H/W version:
- H32
Nav Data Part No:
- 3AA919866
Nav Data version:
Nav Data medium:
- EUR_W_0031

ian-f
20-07-2011, 03:22 PM
Hi,

Same issue on my Sport est, at least my dealer has agreed to provide the update FOC (was £300!!) to us after a bit of discussion. Interesting to hear that the vehicles are coming supplied with the new s/w now!

I'm interesed in the vCard comments, is this the same Vcard (.vcf) as Microsoft Outlook use? Probably not, but is it as simple as editing a text file and adding the destination in Lat/Lon?

D4D
20-07-2011, 04:05 PM
Right, I've tried this and it doesn't work :aargh4:

What I've done:

Formatted SD to FAT32
Created a folder called Destinations on the root
copied the "Gatwick Airport" text in Jonmarsh's post into notepad
Saved notepad file to desktop, renamed to Gatwick.vcf
copied to SD
inserted SD into car
RNS315 displays "Card Error"
Do I need to face west and hop on one leg whilst doing it ? or have I missed something ??

thax1
20-07-2011, 05:09 PM
I find http://www.getlatlon.com/ very good. Always provides a Lat/Long readout for the centre of the map. Most searches seem to work (towns and postcodes) to get you to the approximate location.

Has anyone tried the VW NavCompanion website from VW Labs to do this? I know it was aimed at the RNS510 originally...

JonMarsh
20-07-2011, 05:31 PM
Right, I've tried this and it doesn't work :aargh4:

What I've done:

Formatted SD to FAT32
Created a folder called Destinations on the root
copied the "Gatwick Airport" text in Jonmarsh's post into notepad
Saved notepad file to desktop, renamed to Gatwick.vcf
copied to SD
inserted SD into car
RNS315 displays "Card Error"
Do I need to face west and hop on one leg whilst doing it ? or have I missed something ??

I can only assume it's the version of software you've got - have you checked it against the info I provided yesterday?

D4D
21-07-2011, 12:56 AM
I did put in a prior post I have W01, I guess this means W01 definitely doesn't import .vcf files.

Can anyone else confirm ?

I am booked in for a "drive by" at VW this friday AM, so they can plug me in to see if there's an update. The service guy said "nothing is showing on his computer, but it is car dependant. Come by and we'll check"

I shall update friday sometime.

ian-f
21-07-2011, 07:49 AM
Same s/w same result as you ;o(

Looks like I'll have to wait for the u/g (when it's made available) has anyone already had the u/g done ...?

JonMarsh
21-07-2011, 05:07 PM
I did put in a prior post I have W01, I guess this means W01 definitely doesn't import .vcf files.

Can anyone else confirm ?

I am booked in for a "drive by" at VW this friday AM, so they can plug me in to see if there's an update. The service guy said "nothing is showing on his computer, but it is car dependant. Come by and we'll check"

I shall update friday sometime.

I would imagine that the Map Version is not the critical aspect - it'll probably be the S/W version which is obtained by holding down the Setup Button as "Passat Sport" mention in an earlier post. You can then compare with the s/w version I have which I posted on the 19th. You could then ask if it's possible to upgrade the S/W version for the model you have.

D4D
22-07-2011, 12:07 PM
Right, There is an update available. They couldn't install it as they hadn't received the correct SD cards. These should be delivered next week'ish. No mention of cost at all ?!

I shall post as soon as i have further info :)

Passat Sport
23-07-2011, 07:07 PM
Anyone else have problems with the display on the RNS 315 freezing?

Has happened intermittently and only with guidance on.

JonMarsh
23-07-2011, 07:34 PM
Anyone else have problems with the display on the RNS 315 freezing?

Has happened intermittently and only with guidance on.

Not as yet. Will look out for it.

Kevin K
26-07-2011, 10:28 PM
Anyone else have problems with the display on the RNS 315 freezing? Has happened intermittently and only with guidance on.
Yes, happened to me last week on the M25. Froze for 2-3 hours but cleared after an extended break at the services....
No idea why and it hasn't happened again. Kevin

Kevin K
26-07-2011, 10:30 PM
Right, There is an update available. They couldn't install it as they hadn't received the correct SD cards.
Any idea what to ask for when contacting my local VW garage - version number, etc.?

Passat Sport
26-07-2011, 10:47 PM
I would imagine that the Map Version is not the critical aspect - it'll probably be the S/W version which is obtained by holding down the Setup Button as "Passat Sport" mention in an earlier post. You can then compare with the s/w version I have which I posted on the 19th. You could then ask if it's possible to upgrade the S/W version for the model you have.
I suspect that map version will also need to be updated - old version may only be split into 5 digit postcodes.

KevinK - dealer has ordered a replacement RNS315 to repair my freezing display

jonokimber
28-07-2011, 09:07 AM
For some reason i'm not getting email updates to say that this thread has been updated so i've only just caught up on the recent comments. I have a Passat Est Sport with RNS315, V1 software and W01 maps. I am currently sat in the VW Garage in Telford having my sun visor replaced as it keeps drooping. They have told me that there is no news on updates for the RNS315 yet. I obviously now know different and will be hasslign them. As for the vCards i havent tried them yet but might do if i'm bored one day soon. I just stick to my trusty tomtom at the moment.

Can anyone who is receiving an update tell me which official UK VW garage has at least acknowledged there is an update availalbe?

Thanks

Jono

D4D
28-07-2011, 09:21 AM
Hi Jono, F. Cross VW in Grimsby has said there is an update due/available, they have received the literature but no SD cards. As soon as the SD cards turn up I'm supposed to be getting a call to pop down and get updated, as soon as that happens I'll post up.

Kevin, just ask them about the postcode update, they'll know exactly what you mean :)

jonokimber
28-07-2011, 09:24 AM
Nice one D4D - I'm still here waiting for my sun visor so i'll have another word about the updates, cheers.

Jono

jonokimber
28-07-2011, 10:17 AM
I was told by Inchcape VW Telford that they will automatically be sent the update SD cards and they have no control over the arrival date. I was also told that for each and every car there may or may not be a payment to upgrade. I wait with baited breath...

Passat Sport
02-09-2011, 06:58 AM
I suspect that map version will also need to be updated - old version may only be split into 5 digit postcodes.

KevinK - dealer has ordered a replacement RNS315 to repair my freezing display
Still waiting for my replacement RNS315!! and display still freezing. Not Happy.

Replacement was originally scheduled for 10th August (~2 weeks), then, on 17th August was 70% probability of 1st Sept, yesterday (1st Sept) now 35% probability of 9th Sept. If VW are generally this bad I hope that I never have a serious issue - on this performance, I may as well order a complete new car. It would be quicker. I should have taken the hint when I was quoted 18-20 weeks on delivery when ordering the car. If the alternatives on the list had been at all acceptable I would probably have gone for one of them.

Has anyone had the update yet? Customer Care told me that my car (delivered end of May) would "probably" be eligible for upgrade. Check with the dealer. Dealer was not aware that the update was available.

ian-f
02-09-2011, 03:58 PM
I'm still waiting for the Map and software upgrade - weekly prompts to the dealer not producing any joy and VW 'customer Service' need a name upgrade (or downgrade!) useless. Unfortunatley this seems to be the way VW have gone in the recent past. If the car is OK on delivery, great! If it's not, then hard luck, as no-one at the collective VW seems to be able to give sensible/accurate advice!

Passat Sport
02-09-2011, 10:27 PM
I don't think that there is anyone at VW who actually knows. In my limited dealings with customer care, I have generally had to tell them what the car should do and persist until they give up and give me a service number so that I can talk with the dealer. Fortunately my dealer seems to be on the ball, but it shouldn't be this way.

VW used to have a reputation for quality, but I can't see that lasting - every car seems to be different and no-one can definitively tell me what it should and should not do. The manual doesn't help. Apart from the size of it, there's no clear differentiation between options

Firkle
03-10-2011, 11:03 AM
I've just done a quick test and my 315 with Western Europe 031 database will accept the VCF files from the SD card and permit me to navigate directly to them from the card or upload them into my destinations.

Regards

Firkle

VeDubDan
04-10-2011, 04:07 PM
I've just done a quick test and my 315 with Western Europe 031 database will accept the VCF files from the SD card and permit me to navigate directly to them from the card or upload them into my destinations.

Regards

Firkle

Did VW upgrade you to the Western Europe 031 database? And is this needed inorder for the VCF file to work?

mines due in for a service you see so just enquiring so I know what to ask for.

Thanks
Dan

Firkle
05-10-2011, 12:06 PM
My 140 TDI Sport BMT was a Week 35 build delivered on 13/09/2011 and came with the W031 database already installed. Others have said that anything less than the 031 data will not take VCF cards but I can't comment on that myself.

Firkle
21-10-2011, 11:27 AM
I've been testing the VW NavCompanion website from VW Labs and although it was aimed at the RNS510 originally the VCF files it generates are accepted by the 315.

This is the format it generates:-

CATEGORIES:VIP
X-VIPCategory:Infrastructure
ADR;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:;;Stansted, Essex CM24;;;;GB
X-NAVADDR:;;;;;;;;;
GEO:51.892974;0.221224
X-Flag:
REV:20070614T125300z
FN;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:Stansted, Essex CM24, Stansted, Essex CM24, , , , GB
UID:AddresBookPersistentProvider3
END:VCARD

bertj
27-10-2011, 11:18 AM
According to my dealer the upgrade will be available at the end of November; previously he was quoted the end of September. I'll believe it when I see it!

ian-f
26-11-2011, 07:52 PM
According to the dealer locally to me and the suppyling dealer, there's almost zero chance the upgrade will ever materialise, and if it does it WILL NOT give full post code search on the older radio, it MUST be the MY2012 version!! Anyway at long last I just had my 315 replaced under warranty - there was a loss of DAB signal and hanging up. So I now have the later model with the correct maps (no more 'off-road' ing, on roads built in the last few years that weren't on the old maps!) has full post-code entry, so I can navigate to place I've not been to, previously you needed to know where you wanted to go unless it was an address like 56, Oldham Road, Bolton for instance.. The phone now works as it ought to, proper hands free, push a screen button (where the old 'SOS' button was) and you're given a voice dial request...! Fantastic!! Keep pushing the dealer to replace it under warranty, perseverance seems to pay off.
Here's the versions info from the new unit...
P/N 3C0035279B
S/W 0263
H/W H34
NAV P/N 3AA919866
NAV DATA Vs 0031
NAV DATA EUR_W_031