PDA

View Full Version : 2000 A6 Door / footwell lights

Dan Small
11-07-2007, 04:05 PM
My 2000 A6 has footwell lights and door lights (a red one on the side and a clear one underneath). They all work except for the drivers side. When I open the door, the roof lights come on at the front and the rear, but none of the others do.

I know it's only a small thing but it's annoying. I've replaced the bulbs in the door but no effect. Any ideas.

I also can't see what switches them on, ie a push button in the door etc.

Any help appreciated.

mulholland
10-03-2008, 06:49 PM
Hi

New to this posting lark, but here goes.

I have the same problem with my A4 drivers door,ie red light at rear of door does not come on when door is opened, I also noticed that there is no obvious way for door light to come on, ie plunger. I put my car into an Audi dealer recently for a service and asked them to check this out. The dealer said they had traced it to a faulty door latch and gave me a quote of £211 to repair, don't think so !!!!, this doesn't really help I know but is a slightly better insight to how the lights work.

You sad on your post that you changed the bulb, how ?, I couldn't see any means in which to remove the red lens.

audinut
11-03-2008, 07:29 AM
Dan you're doing better than me. roof lights come on but not a single door or footwell light does. Checked bulbs but that's not it. I'm interested in a solution here too.

Peter D
11-03-2008, 10:03 AM
I would check the passenger and rear footwell carpets for signs of dampness. Even if you think they are not damp remove the trim and lift the from passenger carpet and check if water has been coming in. Under the carpet is the Convenience Control Unit with looks after the lights locks and all sorts of stuff. There are two sourses for the leak one is the Plenum Chamber under the battery getting it's drain hole blocked up and eventually sloshing water into the pollen fiter, the other is a failed gasket under the plenum chamber housing. Some Audi agents will fix this free of charge as there is a recall on this. Regards Peter

audinut
11-03-2008, 01:28 PM
Thanks Peter,
But I had the plenum mod done by audi stafford during the cam belt change last year. They told me it needed doing and it was indeed free. The carpet wasn't wet (at least on the surface).
I had a quick look at trying to get to that unit but it looks like the front passenger seat has to come out. Is that right ?

Peter D
11-03-2008, 01:38 PM
Remove the side kick panel by removing the screw under the small clip in cover then ease the carpet out from under the door trim and you will be able to see the box and if there is any water around. The plenum chamber and the pollen filter housinf leak are quite separate problems. Regards Peter

audinut
11-03-2008, 02:03 PM
Just followed your instructions and its dry under there. The (larger than I expected) plastic box sits in a well and that's dry too. Couldn't see if any wires were disconnected as its in the work car park ;)

Peter D
11-03-2008, 03:07 PM
Dry is good news. I had one in last Thursday/Friday and had to put the front up ramps and remove the bung from the rear footwell floor pan to let all the water out. Well now you need to go and find an Audi indi that kows what he is doing with a VAGCOM and watch the live data ( Assumming there are no stored fault codes ) and see if all the switches and functions are operational. Regards Peter