PDA

View Full Version : Question Retrofit (Dealer) Rear Parking Sensors

Bristle Hound
31-05-2011, 11:18 AM
Has anyone had the rear parking sensors retro fitted by an Audi dealer to their B8 A4 saloon?

If so how much was it?

Was it a neat job?

Do the parking sensors match the body colour as on a standard fit A4?

Questions, questions ... :biglaugh:

HotChip
31-05-2011, 02:57 PM
I had mine retrofitted by Dundee Audi on my previous B8, as the dealer told me there was a problem with the factory fitted ones at that particular point in time. I only paid the option price (they were not standard on 2008 B8s!) which I think was around £220. The fit and colour match was excellent and I didn't have any problems with them in the three years i had the car. The only thing I couldn't do with the retro-fit was adjust the volume of the warning tones through the MMI.

Hope this helps.

HC.

ScottyUK
31-05-2011, 05:52 PM
Sounds like you paid Audi price for a lot cheaper product.

Bristle,
My parents had a system put on their Golf by their dealer. It's perfectly colour matched and works well and cost around £120.
Most retro fits have sensors that are slightly proud of the body work unlike the totally flush factory ones so something to watch out for.

HotChip
02-06-2011, 09:19 AM
Sounds like you paid Audi price for a lot cheaper product.

Thanks for reminding me! :o

Most retro fits have sensors that are slightly proud of the body work unlike the totally flush factory ones so something to watch out for.

This was the case on mine.

ScottyUK
02-06-2011, 09:25 AM
Sorry. It wasn't intended to have a dig. I just hope others learn from those who have walked the path before.

HotChip
02-06-2011, 02:13 PM
Indeed. No offence taken.

Bristle Hound
08-06-2011, 09:29 AM
Just had a quote back from my local ********, Teesside Audi.

£628.31 fitted including parts and VAT! :aargh4:

I don't think so! :zx11:

ScottyUK
08-06-2011, 09:55 AM
If you're not getting the OEM kit and it being identicle to the factory then there's no point going to a dealer. Just use these people :

http://www.fittedparkingsensors.co.uk/catalog/?gclid=CNLRvMv3pakCFcJP4QodGkKDtQ

p.s. I've not used them but my mate did without any issues.

IvoV
09-06-2011, 03:47 PM
I picked up my new A4 today and part of exchange was retro fitting the original OEM rear parking sensors (unfortunately the more advanced systems aren't possible as retro fit) - though it didn't cost me, they reworked the original invoice and listed it for £340 or something like that. Personally felt that was a lot of money for that feature but as they fitted it for free didn't think twice.

System itself is pretty straight-forward: acoustic only. Parked the car three times since picking it up this morning and on all occassions I found the system to be rather useless as it also picks up the presence of a car/wall next to the car, so it basically sounds like A&E flat-lining when parking in normal parking spaces.

Hippogriff
09-06-2011, 05:00 PM
When my girlfriend drove my car into a car park bollard at about 5mph, and continued going!, I did ask her how it was even possible with both front and rear parking sensors (pre graphical MMI, 54 reg. A4) squealing at her intensely... she said "I wondered what that noise was" I asked her, "As well wondering what the metal against metal scraping noise was?" she said "Well, I couldn't hear that 'cos of those beeps!"

ScottyUK
10-06-2011, 01:14 AM
hehehehehe :biglaugh:

fab1975
13-06-2011, 09:04 PM
Hi! When I bought my ex demo A4 Avant last year both the dealer and myself were under the impression that it came with factory fitted rear parking sensor, especially considering that it was a well spec'd S-Line.
As it turned out that it did not have the sensors, the dealer immediately agreed to install them for free, which he said would have normally costed me around £ 250, but of course he was more than happy to put 'on the house'.
They are slightly more protunding than the factory fitted ones by 1-2mm , but they are perfectly colour coded and so far have been working fine.

Since I am here... does anyone know if there is an option to turn the media volume down when reversing in order for me to hear the sensors beep better? Just in case I want to be inspired by the above post :-P

Cheers

Fab

SunnyBard
13-06-2011, 09:19 PM
does anyone know if there is an option to turn the media volume down when reversing in order for me to hear the sensors beep better

Mine certainly does it and I don't remember any option to tell it not to lower the radio volume, there are options in the (non)MMI to change the pitch and volume of the beeps.

fab1975
13-06-2011, 10:49 PM
Mine certainly does it and I don't remember any option to tell it not to lower the radio volume, there are options in the (non)MMI to change the pitch and volume of the beeps.

Hi, thanks for your reply. In theory my MMI 3G should still be the most advanced unit available on the B8 A4, but I do not seem to be able to find any option I could use for the above purpose. Does your A4 have factory fitted sensors? It might be interesting to see if anyone with non-factory fitted sensors can do the trick.
Cheers
Fab

SunnyBard
13-06-2011, 11:05 PM
Does your A4 have factory fitted sensors?

Yes factory sensors, no reversing camera or fancy park-assist, concert radio.

jakerade
18-06-2011, 11:36 AM
a couple of threads on doing this yourself

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?67557-Rear-Bumper-Removal&highlight=parking%20sensors

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?91801-Retro-fitting-of-Parking-Sensors&highlight=parking+sensors

The dealer ones definitely stand proud but in the second thread someone fitted the factory sensors