PDA

View Full Version : Tyre Pressure Monitoring System

D4D
29-05-2011, 11:17 PM
Hi,
I had my passat delivered on friday, Very Nice :D just noticed this afternoon that the TPMS is not displaying in the MDI, not just the tyre pressures the whole thing.

The car is a Sport so it definatley should have them, is there a quick "thing" I can do or is it back to the dealers ?

Any advice would be greatly received ;)

Sulphur-Man
29-05-2011, 11:20 PM
I thought it only displayed when there was pressure drop?

D4D
30-05-2011, 12:58 PM
The Sport has the Tyre Pressure Monitoring System, which displays the actual pressure per each individual tyre, regardless of whether the pressure drops. The one your thinking of is the Tyre Monitor Display, which lights up when the rolling circumference of the tyre changes, indicating a drop in pressure.

Sulphur-Man
30-05-2011, 04:41 PM
Aaaah I see. Do you have to tick a box to display it in the computer by any chance?

D4D
30-05-2011, 06:18 PM
Can't see one, it should be displayed under the settings menu I think, I get the service due Info then nothing else, I can't see any other reference, I wonder if it needs to be "plugged" in to a VAG pc or something ?

Sulphur-Man
30-05-2011, 06:22 PM
Could be. I'm sure your dealer will help out if needs be.

rayboulds
31-05-2011, 04:15 PM
D4D,

I am having the same issue, I have spoken to the dealer and he believes that the tyre pressures are only displayed when the pressure drops. But reading the manual it sounds like it should display in the MFD at the start of every journey.

My dealer did say drop the car in and he will have a look but I am unable to get there until next week.
I will update the thread then but if you get yours sorted before can you update so I can go in with more info.

Cheers

Steve

D4D
31-05-2011, 05:27 PM
Hi Steve, sounds like a fob off that one, you can definatly view the pressures when ever you like.

I had a loan car for a week as mine was late, a 2.0tdi sport estate, which is the same trim level as my car, the pressures were displayed "live" and even increased on the display as the tyres warmed when you were driving !

rayboulds
31-05-2011, 09:56 PM
D4D,

I think the sales guy was not sure, but they did say he would get some to look at it when I can drop it in. Problem is I am not in the area during the day until late next week. It is interesting that the loan estate car had it working but we have both got the sport saloon and nothing.

Did your loan car have the standard wheels "Minneapolis" ?

I took delivery of the car last thursday (26th) I been wondering if its a spec issue? I ordered it in January, and on the price list description of the sport it says tyre pressure monitoring, but under the factory options it is not filled in.

Let us know how you get on if you go to your dealer before next week.

Steve

D4D
01-06-2011, 09:18 AM
Hi Steve,
I won't get to the dealer until next week either, but as soon as I hear I'll post up. I think you've hit on something with the Minneapolis wheels though, the loaner had the no cost optional wheels, Fontana I think they were called, somewhere in darkest recesses of my mind I seem to remember reading that if you chose those wheels instead of Minneapolis you "got something extra". Maybe the tyre display ?

Passat Sport
03-06-2011, 03:18 PM
Hi - I'm having the same problem as D4D and am surprised that the function worked on your loaner. I got back in touch with the dealer who checked the handbook and TPMS operation in another Sport. Same info in handbook, still no tyre pressures displayed. They then contacted VW UK. Response was

the handbook supplied in your vehicle is a Continental handbook, which covers other European countries, so the diagram shown, will not be displayed on the screen on your vehicle. The only warning you will receive is a warning light on your dashboard when the tyre pressure is low. Will be very interested to see what response others get from their dealers.

I've gone back to the dealer and will also be writing to VW UK to ask how they can state in their brochures and website that the Tyre pressure monitoring system is a "Sensor-controlled system that displays tyre pressures on your multifunction display before you set off and during every journey." and how I "can easily tell which wheel is affected" from a single warning light on the dashboard.

In the meantime, the dealer has supplied a technical description of the VW tyre monitoring systems dated 2005. It clearly states that tyre pressure monitoring on the Passat does not provide positional information because it uses a single central antenna rather than individual antennas in each wheel arch.

I had been tempted to opt for the Fontana wheels when specifying the car but had been told by the dealer that the Fontana option only came with tyre monitoring not with tyre pressure monitoring.

The heated windscreen is another niggle. When I ordered the car it was included in the heated seat package. When the car arrived it was a £140 option and had not been fitted.

D4D
04-06-2011, 12:25 AM
Thanks for posting Passat Sport, I have done a bit more research and oddly the website and the brochure describes the Fontana wheel as specifically having TPMS, but is not specifically mentioned in the Minneapolis description, but is mentioned as standard fitment in the sport specs. Confused ? I am.

I have spoken to my dealer who has also confirmed that Sport spec has TPMS and can offer no explanation as to why it is not "working" on my car. They have another Sport car on site with the Minneapolis wheels, he was going to check that car to see if they were working and email me back, I've not heard anything to date.

Apart from feeling suitably P****d that everyone i spoke to at VW, their brochures and website all told me I would have this functionality and getting blank faces and silence when it hasn't, I see a further much larger problem. Which is, if I haven't got TPMS then I presume I have TMS fitted, better than a kick in the teeth but what happens WHEN the TMS light illuminates ? for those who haven't had a TMS fitted before, you check the pressure, top it up/down by a couple of PSI the TMS light illuminates (because the rolling circumference of the tyre has changed) you then press the "set" button to store the current wheel circumferences as correct.

Therein lies the problem, I haven't got a set button, manual says it's in the glove box/centre console/display but I can't see one anywhere. So if I change the pressure of a wheel I have to look at a bright orange light for god knows how long.

Unimpressed.

D4D
04-06-2011, 12:35 AM
Forgot to mention in prior post, I have some sort of tyre monitoring as I have the orange "flat tyre" symbol, on starting the car it illuminates briefly and then goes out.

D4D,
I took delivery of the car last thursday (26th) I been wondering if its a spec issue? I ordered it in January, and on the price list description of the sport it says tyre pressure monitoring, but under the factory options it is not filled in.
Steve

Do you know what the factory code is for TPMS ?

I have the doc that has the stuff fitted listed but its all VAG codes, no idea which one refers to the TPMS ?

Passat Sport
04-06-2011, 06:46 AM
@D4D
According to my dealer, with Minneapolis wheels you should have TPMS not TMS. They checked the chassis number with VW who confirmed that TPMS was fitted. You should be able to tell by looking at the valves. TPMS fitted wheels have an aluminium body to the valve stem. Sorry, also have no idea which code is which. For what it is worth, handbook does not specify type of engine oil for the 170 TDI. Should be LongLife 5W30 according to the dealer

If the 2005 Service Training brochure (Self Study Programme 347) is still valid for this model, no need to calibrate/set the system.

The specified tyre pressures (monitoring pressures) are stored in the factory. The pressures are valid for a set of wheels with tyres that are approved by the authorities and Volkswagen as specified on the fuel filler flap. The specified tyre pressures for partial and full loading of the vehicle are preset and may not be changed.

The driver can use the button in the centre console to switch between partial and full loading, to check the status and switch the tyre pressure monitor on and off.✱

Messages and warnings are indicated by the lamp in the dash panel insert and text appears in the dash panel insert display.In my car the full/partial load settings are in the MFD. ✱ refers to North America.

The wheel electronics installed in the wheel constantly measure the internal tyre temperature, the inflation pressure and the centrifugal acceleration of the respective tyre. The data telegrams are sent depending on the state of the vehicle. When the car is stationary or travelling below 25km/h, no data telegrams are sent unless the wheel electronics recognise a fast change in pressure of more than 0.2bar per minute.

If the wheel electronics recognise centrifugal acceleration above 5g (corresponding with a vehicle speed above approx. 25km/h), 30 data telegrams will be sent with a transmission interval of 15 seconds. After that, i.e. in normal driving, the wheel electronics send one data telegram per minute.

After any fast pressure change of more than 0.2bar per minute, the wheel electronics send a data telegram every 15 seconds.The warnings escalate from a text message (no "gong") at 0.3 to 0.4 bar deviation, through "gong" plus message and warning light at greater than 0.4 bar, to warning tone, light and flat tyre message for the rapid change of pressure.

Because the system relies on centrifugal pressure to switch messages on, the spare is not monitored until fitted and only a flat will register when stationary. In-tyre monitors use lithium batteries which should last 10 years. No indication as to whether battery can be replaced or whole unit required. Document is a 2MB pdf, otherwise would attach it to this post.

Passat Sport
04-06-2011, 06:59 AM
Just found this website which claims to decode VAG options. Have yet to try it
http://www.igorweb.org/equidec/

gold1640
04-06-2011, 06:30 PM
Reading the Passat brochure, I get the impression that the pressure readout is only available if the optional colour version of the multifunction display is fitted.

D4D
04-06-2011, 08:45 PM
Passat sport, thanks for providing that info which explains why there is no set button (it is a better way of doing it then having a set button, progress!). Begs the question as to why the manual says there is one ?

Gold1640, I don't think it depends on the colour display IMO, i think it has something to do with the minneapolis wheels, main reason I believe this is the loaner sport I had was fitted with the non colour, standard, display and the no cost optional Fontana wheels. It had/displayed TPMS correctly.

It seems most people complaining of this have the sport with the Minneapolis wheels.

Passat Sport
04-06-2011, 09:07 PM
The manual gives all options - that's why it is nearly 400 pages and so B* confusing! The manual also covers TPM (indirect monitoring) for which pressure is not actually measured and the button is required to start calibration once tyres have been correctly inflated.

The original dealer was emphatic - Fontana has indirect, not direct monitoring. Of the no cost options, only the Minneapolis had electronic pressure monitoring. I suspect that the reason your loaner had the system was that it was an early model and that VW have since done some cost cutting on the options - taking away the wheel arch antennas so that positional info is not available, taking the heated windscreen from the heated seats package and putting it in separately, whilst keeping the heated seats price the same etc.

D4D
04-06-2011, 09:32 PM
Hi passat sport, the loaner I had was a brand new sport estate with 165 miles on the clock, it came in on the boat the week before I got it. I wouldn't describe it as an early car. IMO I think that it has got something to do with which wheels you have fitted. What we need is for people to post up which wheels they have and whether they have TPMS, might give us a better insight.

Passat Sport
05-06-2011, 06:27 AM
Hi passat sport, the loaner I had was a brand new sport estate with 65 miles on the clock, it came in on the boat the week before I got it. I wouldn't describe it as an early car. IMO I think that it has got something to do with which wheels you have fitted. What we need is for people to post up which wheels they have and whether they have TPMS, might give us a better insight.
No - what we need is for VW to come clean! and also inform their dealers. I have now been to two separate dealers. One is convinced that you need the Minneapolis wheels for electronic (direct) pressure monitoring, the other contacted VW who confirmed that the Sport is fitted with direct monitoring of individual wheels, but the only information provided is a warning. The website is confusing Minneapolis wheels are fitted as standard to the Sport and "Tyre pressure monitoring system" is standard fit. However, go to the configurator and pick Fontana and it comes with "Tyre pressure monitor" not "system"

The VW website is clear the Sport has "Tyre pressure monitoring system, electronic" as standard. £190 option on S and SE. The info bar against this states "Tyre pressure monitoring system, electronic, monitors and displays the tyre pressure for each wheel on the electronic display"

You can easily check. Direct monitoring systems require a sensor in the tyre. This is fitted as a special valve with a solid aluminium body. Indirect systems have standard valve stems. I am convinced that VW have either cut costs by not fitting individual wheel antennas or found a bug in the system and just blanked it out of the software rather than fix it. I've now written to VW, but am not holding my breath.

rayboulds
06-06-2011, 06:06 PM
Hi,

Well I took my car into the dealer today to get a few things sorted including the tyre pressure monitor system. And I can report back the dealer is not sure what is going on. The car has TPMS installed the diagnostics computer reports back that its working but still no display. I had the head tech working on it and he could see that the control unit was installed etc, reset the software and still nothing. It is now been booked in for the 20th so he can physical following all the wiring and fully check the car over. In the meantime the head tech was going to email the factory.

Also while I was waiting I sat in Passat Sport with Minneapolis wheels with mono display and guess what....yep, you can see all the tyre pressure via the display under vehicle status (it has 2 pages 1/2 Pressures 2/2 Service). So we are not going crazy it is on the car with the standard sport wheels.

Will keep you posted

Steve

Passat Sport
06-06-2011, 07:11 PM
Thanks for the update Steve. I've written to VW customer service because I couldn't find an email. You don't happen to know that do you?

D4D
07-06-2011, 10:41 AM
Hi Steve, nice to know we aren't going mad and I wasn't seeing things :aargh4:
Looks like we managed to get a batch that doesn't have TPMS on from the factory. Was the sport you saw it working on an estate ?

I can't see VW pulling a crafty one and not fitting TPMS intentionally, somethings gone awry at the factory IMO, have you got the name of your dealer steve ? I can then point my dealer in his direction, saves the work being repeated.

rayboulds
08-06-2011, 01:40 PM
D4D,The car I sat in with TPMS working was a Sport Saloon. The Dealer was Kettering VW but all he did was plug it into the diagnostics system, which said that the TPMS was on and working. Because I was waiting he couldn't do much more, thats why it is now booked in for the 20th for a full investigation. If you are leaving you car with the dealer hopefully you will get it looked at fully.

Passat Sport, Not got a clue about a email address. I am staying away from VW customer services as it full of dummies who just read of the screens when you call in. From past experience there is no on there which has a technical knowledge about the cars or even know what a car is :biglaugh:

Passat Sport
08-06-2011, 05:19 PM
Steve, thanks for the update. Have notified my dealer. Odd that it was Kettering VW - I used to live there and most of my family still do.

gold1640
13-06-2011, 03:20 PM
Picked up my Sport Estate today - tyre pressures show on the standard monochrome display. Standard Minneapolis wheels. Was surprised at the wheels as they are silver / black (same colour scheme as the 'Vicenza' wheels in the brochure).

Passat Sport
15-06-2011, 05:28 PM
After a somewhat confusing discussion with customer care my car is now booked in for investigation on Monday 20th at my local dealer. They checked chassis number again and confirm that TPMS, electronic should be fitted to that chassis. On that basis, I think that they now also agree that my car should have electronic display of tyre pressures, not just a warning.

Worringly they also asked what I would want to do if my car could not have that function restored. I told them that I would obviously want what I specified and my company paid for. Will update once I know more

db123
17-06-2011, 06:33 PM
My passat sport with minneapolis wheels has tyre pressure monitoring system, in the settings menu you can choose between full or part load, when I choose full load and my tyre pressures are set to part load I get the warning 'tyre pressure low', but no indication of which tyre, maybe this is because all tyres are low pressure. Not happy will be speaking to vw on monday.

rayboulds
17-06-2011, 10:28 PM
My passat sport with minneapolis wheels has tyre pressure monitoring system, in the settings menu you can choose between full or part load, when I choose full load and my tyre pressures are set to part load I get the warning 'tyre pressure low', but no indication of which tyre, maybe this is because all tyres are low pressure. Not happy will be speaking to vw on monday.

If you are getting the warning then you should be getting the display. it is under the vehicle status if you are seeing the service status press the down key on the right hand side of the steering wheel and it then should display the wheel status.

rayboulds
17-06-2011, 10:29 PM
Passat Sport, My car is booked in for the Monday (20th) as well. fingers crossed we finally get it all sorted....

Passat Sport
18-06-2011, 07:18 AM
db123 - my problem is exactly the same. Rayboulds is right. On the standard B7 Passat Sport there should be an individual tyre pressure readout via the MFD on the Vehicle Status menu. No such menu available on my car.

You may have to argue your case with VW because there appears to be total confusion over this. When I first raised the issue with my supplying dealer they checked back with VW and also with another Sport in stock. The stock vehicle had the same issue, VW apparently told them that there was only a warning light and I was getting it confused with a "continental option"! This contradicts brochure and website info and, I believe is confusing the spec with the B6 system which monitored individual pressures but did not provide positional info.

Customer Care don't appear to be up to date with the specs either. I had to explain the differences between indirect and direct tyre monitoring systems, point to the specs for the SE (indirect, described as flat tyre detection), the Sport (direct, described as tyre pressure monitoring system, electronic giving individual tyre readouts) and the B6 options (indirect and direct without positional info). Also, explain what was supposed to happen. Still, I did get a case reference out of them, which the dealer was happy to accept. I also managed to speak to someone technical at VW via the dealer line. He believes that the individual tyre pressures should be available on the latest Passat.

If you have a problem, point your dealer towards Kettering VW who are known to have a Sport in stock with fully functioning TPMS

D4D
20-06-2011, 01:29 AM
On the standard B7 Passat Sport there should be an individual tyre pressure readout via the MFD on the Vehicle Status menu. No such menu available on my car.

I do believe this is pretty much what i said in the opening post of this topic.

I haven't been able to leave my car with the dealer yet as I've been in wales most of the week, however my dealer has a sport saloon that does show TPMS as it should do and has confirmed, in writing, that all UK Sports have it fitted as standard.

When I last spoke to him on friday he was simultaneously chasing up VW UK and the factory. I'm expecting an update on Monday, I'll post a soon as I hear.

Passat Sport
20-06-2011, 05:57 AM
I do believe this is pretty much what i said in the opening post of this topic.

I haven't been able to leave my car with the dealer yet as I've been in wales most of the week, however my dealer has a sport saloon that does show TPMS as it should do and has confirmed, in writing, that all UK Sports have it fitted as standard.

When I last spoke to him on friday he was simultaneously chasing up VW UK and the factory. I'm expecting an update on Monday, I'll post a soon as I hear.
Has been said many times in this thread, but still have difficulty getting VW customer care to understand the issue and accept it.

Your dealer seems fairly switched on and pro-active, my supplier (company car) was not. Hoping that my local dealer will prove better. Which dealer do you use and what was the basis of the confirmation? I keep pointing to the brochures, pricelist, website and supplied documentation but a VW dealer document should carry more weight. May want to refer my dealer to yours if any problems.

rayboulds
20-06-2011, 05:54 PM
Well my car as been with the garage all day and I have just had a phone call asking if they can keep hold of it as they are waiting for the factory to get back to them. So far it sounds like the control unit is working but it is reporting incompatible versions ??? whatever that means.

Funny thing the replacement car is a passat sport and wait for it.... it has the tyre pressure display. I might take a picture of it and stick it on my MFD when i get the car back.

We keep you all informed.

Steve

PS. Passat Sport have you had any luck today ?

Passat Sport
20-06-2011, 06:23 PM
PS. Passat Sport have you had any luck today ?
Yes - all fixed. I had the MFD switched to display tyre pressures all the way home! I did not get to talk to a mechanic, but the fault report stated that the control unit had been incorrectly coded/adapted (presumably at the factory) and that the garage had re-programmed it. All worked after re-programming. Dealer was Crawley Volkswagen if you want to put your dealer in touch.
Good luck
Alan

mr109
21-06-2011, 01:54 PM
Took my sport estate, with minneapolis wheels, in to be looked at this morning. Same problem as everyone else, I told them about the problem and pointed them to this thread.

They spent 1/2 hour looking at it and said they'd call after speaking to VW. A couple of hours later they'd got a potential solution, i popped back and 20 minutes and 1 software update later its all working fine.

This is all logged centrally with VW now so should be quick for others having problems.

Al

rayboulds
21-06-2011, 03:42 PM
Took my sport estate, with minneapolis wheels, in to be looked at this morning. Same problem as everyone else, I told them about the problem and pointed them to this thread.

They spent 1/2 hour looking at it and said they'd call after speaking to VW. A couple of hours later they'd got a potential solution, i popped back and 20 minutes and 1 software update later its all working fine.

This is all logged centrally with VW now so should be quick for others having problems.

Al

Hi, Which dealership did you go to ? I am still having trouble getting my car sorted ?

Cheers

Steve

mr109
21-06-2011, 10:42 PM
Stafford.

Al

Passat Sport
22-06-2011, 07:29 PM
Hi, Which dealership did you go to ? I am still having trouble getting my car sorted ?

Cheers

Steve
Steve - any joy yet?

rayboulds
23-06-2011, 11:37 AM
Steve - any joy yet?

Yep, all sorted. Because I had the colour display it didn;t work with the standard software update, so the dealer had to get a code from VW UK to be able to download a newer software version which is not on general release.

He got the code yesterday morning and the display worked !!!

Steve

Passat Sport
30-06-2011, 05:59 AM
D4D
You started this thread. Are you sorted yet? I'm still hearing of VW and their dealers telling customers that the Sport is not supplied with positional sensors and doesn't display pressure.

D4D
01-07-2011, 07:40 AM
Hi chaps, not yet...:(
I've moved on from convincing the sales rep to trying to convince the service manager. Took my car in on Tuesday, after making an Appt and pointing them to this thread. Plain sailing I thought.... They proceeded to do exactly what everyone else had done, then said they need to speak to VW. I advised them that at least 4 dealers were in front of them and if they were to call them I wouldn't have to come back.
Nope, not interested. They have to hear it from the horses mouth (that's a quote).

I'm in the office on Monday I shall chase them up then, it would be nice if they were to call me but I can't see it happening :(

Passat Sport
02-07-2011, 07:27 AM
I've PM'ed you with the VW case reference number for my car. Contact customer care - 0800 0833914. Use my case reference when talking to VW and quote the case reference number that you receive when going back to your dealer.

Hopefully, having my case reference number will make it easier for you to convince VW customer care of the issue than when I approached them. I'm still convinced that they only agreed to the dealer having a look at the issue to get rid of me. Pity that you are such a long way away, otherwise we could probably arrange for visitors here to visit your dealer and demonstrate the issue.

D4D
05-07-2011, 11:32 AM
Hi, Chased them up Monday, they were having I.T problems and couldn't access the VW intranet to check for replies so advised they would call me back. They have done this morning and arranged an appt for tomorrow morning to apply a "software update", sound familiar ?

I shall update tomorrow :)

db123
06-07-2011, 10:58 PM
Hi guys, I've got the same problem of convincing my dealer that tyre pressures should be displayed. Dealers attitude is that if its not there, thats what vw intended, they don't make mistakes! Is there any chance I can have someones case reference to support my case.

Thanks in advance.

D4D
07-07-2011, 07:56 AM
Morning Chaps, All Done :) they did apply "the" software update which took about 20mins to complete, they also changed the tyre pressure on 2 of the wheels as they were a little soft !

I also received a nice bottle of Lanson Champers, for my inconvenience, which took the edge of nicely :)

Db123 I haven't got my report sheet with me but I can get that info later on today for you. Passat sport did pm me his case info but I wouldn't want to disseminate that info without his ok. Send them the link for this thread, VW HQ isn't denying it now. IMO they haven't contacted them...

db123
08-07-2011, 05:38 PM
:aargh4:Just wasted 34mins talking to vw customer care. There seems to be total confusion between flat tyre indicator and TPMS, they've confirmed that my car has TPMS but are unsure if pressures should be displayed on standard MFD as well as colour MFD, guy I spoke to was trying his best but didn't have a clue, outcome was he would email marketing to confirm functionality, I have a feeling I know what the answer will be...

db123
08-07-2011, 07:31 PM
Wow I have an answer already! And I quote 'Individual tyre pressure monitoring is only available with colour display'. When I mentioned this forum their response was this is only opinion not fact so they wont take it into consideration, so volkswagen customer care are implying that members of this forum are liars.

Outcome of conversation was vw marketing material is confusing and inaccurate and I should try and take it up with dealer.

Passat Sport
08-07-2011, 11:48 PM
db123
You are getting total BS from VW customer care. They gave me the run around as well. Some facts:
1) The B7 Sport (late 2010 on) is fitted with Tyre pressure monitoring electronic. This measures individual tyre pressures
2) B7 SE is fitted with Tyre pressure monitor, called flat tyre detection in some of the blurb. This uses output from the ABS sensors to detect a difference in rotation rate and hence infer a flat tyre.
3) The standard Sport system displays individual tyre pressures (but not incl spare) when correctly installed
4) It works with both colour and monochrome displays, but a different (unreleased) software set is required for colour.
5)pre B6 did not display individual pressures whichever system was fitted.

My Sport has monochrome display and displays individual tyre pressures. I can post pictures to prove it. Not at home at the moment so no details handy. Would be happy for D4D to PM you with my case details if it helps

Passat Sport
09-07-2011, 07:24 AM
As promised - monochrome MFD, displaying individual tyre pressures on a 2011 (B7) Passat Sport Saloon with standard Minneapolis wheels. TPMS (electronic) is standard fit. Show it to your dealer

As delivered, would only display low pressure warnings (triggered at 0.3 - 0.4 bar low). Simple software update (re-coding) and configuration was all that was required to restore full specification functionality. My original dealer also got the wrong information from VW. It was only when I explained the differences between systems and pointed to the sales info from their website and brochures that VW customer care referred me to a local dealer to investigate. I think that was more to get rid of me than in any belief that I could be right.

Need to drive the car to update the display because the tyre sensors only transmit when they sense rotation. That's unlike the SE option where it needs to measure wheel rotation rates and compare them over some distance, so could take some time before a fault is detected and flagged.

D4D
09-07-2011, 10:02 AM
Your going to need to get bolshy with them by the sounds of it... My dealer insisted on calling VW, they too wouldn't look at this thread (well, they said they didn't look at it). It took about a week to come back from VW & now I'm all sorted.

Point being VW DO KNOW ABOUT IT, the tech who did my car said it was the first to be done at that dealer but VW had intimated they knew there were more out there. I have pm'd you passat sports info, I can add mine too if you like, by the sounds of it though they won't take any notice of it, like my dealer they'll "have to hear from the horses mouth"

Annoying.

GarethG
09-07-2011, 08:16 PM
Just had my Passat 2 litre 168hp/125kw Sedan Bluemotion in Cashmere Brown picked up at a local Auckland dealer Worked through the dash mounted screen in settings and the tyre warning system is not showing after the service interval. Tried everything its just not there. The only indication is the button to the left of the DSG shift selector it may be installed. Incidently I have the no cost option Fontana alloys? Could it be the system was deactivated for shipment and not configured on pre sales checks? Could it be when the wheels were taken off for the presales checks the configeration was not done? Interesting we have all found a common thread, issue of the alloys and no one has found the option on the dash? Will be speaking to the dealer and hope one of us can spring the issue?

Passat Sport
10-07-2011, 07:29 AM
GarethG
I'm assuming that you have a Sport and not an SE? I don't know what the standard NZ Sport spec is, but the issue of a button is confusing. My research on UK models indicated that a "Set" button is only fitted/used on the flat tyre detection system. After setting all the tyre pressures correctly, you are supposed to press the "Set" button then drive around for 20 minutes or so for the system to learn normal patterns.

With individual tyre pressure monitoring the recommended pressures are preset in the software. No driver adjustment possible, though a dealer may be able to change these.

I found that the only clear indicator as to whether TPMS, electronic was fitted to the wheels was to look at the tyre valves. With TPMS fitted the valve stem is solid aluminium. On my Sport with individual tyre pressure monitoring fitted but not fully functional the MFD still had a "Tyre" line under settings. Selecting this took you to a further page where you could set "Full" or "Partial" load. After the fault was corrected, this was still available, but there was now a further page on the sevice status info.

Individual tyre pressure readings are on the same set of pages as the service information - you cycle through the MFD displays using the page buttons on the steering wheel. When you get to the right page, tyre pressures are displayed as 1/2, service info as 2/2 and pressing "OK" toggles between the two.

Passat Sport
10-07-2011, 07:58 AM
GarethG. Bad news.

I have just visited the VW NZ website. The model designations are entirely different to the UK, but if you download the specifications and look at the Options, VW only offer one Tyre Pressure Monitoring option. The code against this is 7K6.

You can look up VW/Audi codes on
http://igorweb.org/equidec/Default.aspx

This website shows 7K6 as "Flat Tyre Indicator", so no direct tyre pressure monitoring apparently available for Passats in NZ.

NevGo
18-07-2011, 09:07 AM
Hi

New member reporting for duty!

I also have a new Passat Sport (estate) and the tyre pressure monitoring is not configured. Another vehicle on the fleet delivered a few weeks earlier works correctly but mine does not show up on the MFD.

The vehicle has spent 2 days at my loacl dealer who claims to have installed 3 updates but there is no change. I have spoken to VW customer care (who were not at all very helpful) and they told me that the vehicle should not display the tyre pressure in "real time" unless I had the Colour MFD - when I explained about the other vehicle they said it must have been upgraded due to lack of parts!

When I pushed them on the point and explained that the other vehicle had a monochrome MFD the same as mine they insisted that it was not supposed to display the tyre pressures. At this point I told them that they had apparently supplied 3 software updates to one of their main dealers which seemed odd if the system was correctly configured.

Apparnetly a customer care manager would contact me in 24 to 72 hours but after 1 week I have heard nothing.

I have to say I am not impressed with the way they treat their customers, they have little understanding of their product.

Any suggestions on where I go from here?

Nev

NevGo
18-07-2011, 05:33 PM
UPDATE

The VW customer care team (AKA the VW customer dont care team) now refuse to speak to me as it is a company vehicle supplied through a lease company. To get to this point it only took 3 phone calls totaling 1hour and 20mins.

But my local dealer assures me that they are on the case but "it could take months" - thank the lord it is not a serious problem!!

I have to say I love my Passat it is a wonderful car but VW have shown a complete lack of basic customer care skills and I would think long and hard before buying (or specifying) another VW.

Passat Sport
19-07-2011, 12:28 AM
UPDATE

The VW customer care team (AKA the VW customer dont care team) now refuse to speak to me as it is a company vehicle supplied through a lease company. To get to this point it only took 3 phone calls totaling 1hour and 20mins.

But my local dealer assures me that they are on the case but "it could take months" - thank the lord it is not a serious problem!!

I have to say I love my Passat it is a wonderful car but VW have shown a complete lack of basic customer care skills and I would think long and hard before buying (or specifying) another VW.

To get customer care to listen to me, I had to write a formal letter of complaint quoting VW UK website, brochures, their pricelist etc. and asking them to provide what they advertised. Customer care then rang me. At which point I then had to explain to customer care the two different types of tyre pressure monitoring fitted to Passats and that, on the B6 (pre 2011) model individual tyre pressures were monitored, but not displayed. Display was a new feature on 2011 passat Sports. I think that they referred me to my local dealer to get rid of me. My car is also a lease company car. If all else fails get the lease company onto them.

Fortunately the dealer sorted it out in no time. My vehicle has a monochrome MFD, standard Minneapolis wheels and, after a software update now displays individual tyre pressures. As an electronics engineere, I can tell you that the story about being upgraded due to lack of parts is sheer unadulterated BS! The individual tyre pressure monitoring system requires more hardware - antennas in the wheel arches instead of using the remote unlocking antenna. As for the MFD it's software, no extra parts.

My dealer is Crawley Volkswagen ask your dealer to talk to them. Otherwise it's not too far from Wokingham

NevGo
19-07-2011, 07:49 AM
Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunateley I have tried to get VW customer care and my local dealer to look at this thread and offered to provide details of the dealers that have managed to resolve this issue with other vehicles and they both refused. The workshop manager at Ridgeway Oxford is now telling me that the software for each vehicle is unique and that they are waiting for a software upgrade for my car - I suggested that surely the software was standard but needed configuring for the particular vehicle but he insists that this is not the case.

I would gladly take the vehicle to Crawley to resolve the issue.

My Plan is to speak to Lex Autolease today and see if they can put any pressure on VW customer care to sort it out.

I have to admit that although it is a fairly minor function of the car the more they lie and waffle the more I am motivated to make them sort it out.

I will report back after speaking to Lex Autolease.

NevGo
20-07-2011, 09:24 AM
Lex Autolease have refered this to the dealer who supplied the vehicle.

Or fleet manager spoke to them today and I have to say I am pleasantly surprised :) they instantly recognised the problem and admitted that they have 2 more vehicles in at the moment with the same problem. Apparently they will now take ownership of the problem and as soon as they have the required software update they will take my vehicle back and install it.

I have been asked to be a little patient but at least this is the first time anybody questioned about the problem has not tried to tell me that the car was working correctly.

Now I just have to wait

Thanks to all of the earlier posters who have given me the incentive to follow this through.

ian-f
20-07-2011, 03:04 PM
Hi,

So I'm not the only one then! I have to agree that the preceding comments about the variability of the customer care team are dead right - so far I got one who insists it only works with the colour MFD!! This is because in the brochure it states that 'the tyre pressures of each individual tyre' are displayed in the colour MFD - it also states below and elsewhere that it's standard on the Sport and this is on the web, manual, brochure and options list, with the normal MFD! My dealer has been on the case for 6 weeks now with little help it appears from VW tech! I've emailed them with this thread to see if it helps....

Another thing that annoyed me was that the phone cannot work as described in the manuals - i.e. it doesn't work hands-free, nor through the MFD or steering wheel buttons, you have to push loads of buttons on the 'radio' display,(it's a RNS315), to initiate a call. We have other Passats here (it's a lease car) and the SE's all have functionality through the wheel and MFD, as you would expect. There are apparent benefits having the phone work on the radio display but it's not very hands-free i.e. - safe!

BTW I suspect this all down to the fact that the bluetooth is disabled on the MFD on the Sport with the RNS315 radio, which uses bluetooth on the radio...? Which is why the tyre pressure monitor also doesn't work, as the tyre senders use bluetooth!! any comments anyone?

The Sad-Nav is little more than useless only using 4 digit post code doesn't allow you to find anywhere other than listed streets and then house numbers. Should, for instance, you want to find a Hotel or Restaurant in the country, there's no hope. However!! VW released a software 'upgrade' for this in June with 7 digit PC input and 25,000 more roads!!, which they wanted to charge £300 for, this on a two weeks old car, after a bit of persuasion They have now agreed to do this FOC 'as a courtesy', but I'm still waiting....

Thanks to everyone for all the input here, I'm sure it will help others!

ian-f
27-07-2011, 06:05 PM
Update at dealer yesterday, now shows a pictogram of the car with individual pressures on each wheel - Slightly odd though... last night it was displaying in psi, this morning in bar!! I can't see anyway of altering the units. Anyone know how?

D4D
27-07-2011, 11:11 PM
Hi, it's in the Mdi under settings, units, air pressure.
A choice of bar, psi or kPa is available. These settings only show when your stationary ;)

ian-f
28-07-2011, 02:50 PM
That's right, and it was set to psi, but strange it changed on it's own....! I thought there was another setting I'd misseed, as that setting was always accessible without the car display working with the Tuesday upgrade.

NevGo
14-09-2011, 12:46 PM
I am pleased to be able to report that my car is now fixed it has taken exactly 3 months but the system is now working correctly.

I have a copy of the VW data sheet which gives all the information the dealer needs to fix the problem.

This sheet confirms the range of VIN numbers affected by the problem and the code of the update which needs to be installed.if anybody needs it please message me and I will gladly email it to you.

Out of interest the technician who fixed my car told me that the update instructs the dealer "to only install if the owner complains that the system is not working correctly!"

When they plugged my car in it went through a full diagnostic check which took 45 minutes and then about another 20 minutes for them to complete the upgrade (and pump the tyres up as 2 were showing up as under inflated).

Stick with it and you will get it fixed in the end!

NevGo

NevGo
16-09-2011, 07:44 AM
Passat Sport

Sorry, Apparently I can not send you a PM as "I have not made 10 posts" please can you PM me your email address and I will send out the details today.

Regards

NevGo

Passat Sport
16-09-2011, 01:51 PM
Passat Sport

Sorry, Apparently I can not send you a PM as "I have not made 10 posts" please can you PM me your email address and I will send out the details today.

Regards

NevGo
Thanks. Have PM'ed you.

NevGo
16-09-2011, 02:47 PM
I have sent the page to your email address, hope it helps!

yuppyflyer
16-09-2011, 08:35 PM
Took delivery of brand new Passat sport today, TPMS system with individual tyre pressure display working fine from new.

yuppyflyer
23-09-2011, 04:20 PM

This is what the TPMS looks like on colour MFD - hours of fun watching the pressures increase as the tyre temperature increases!

simonsheil
20-10-2011, 03:39 PM
Update at dealer yesterday, now shows a pictogram of the car with individual pressures on each wheel - Slightly odd though... last night it was displaying in psi, this morning in bar!! I can't see anyway of altering the units. Anyone know how?

Did you have the other key? Rather strangly I think the units are specific to the individual leys.

Ramd
28-10-2011, 10:39 AM
Hi Nevgo
I'm a new forum member and took delivery of a new Passat Sport Estate 140bhp 2.0TDI on 1st Sept. To date my tyre pressure monitoring system hasn't worked on the monochrome MFD (1 rear wheel didn't register). The car's been to Gilders Sheffield a total of 4 days now and it's still not resolved - they've replaced sensors, control panels etc!!
Can I have the data sheet you mention above?
Many thanks

Passat Sport
01-11-2011, 07:59 AM
Hi Nevgo
I'm a new forum member and took delivery of a new Passat Sport Estate 140bhp 2.0TDI on 1st Sept. To date my tyre pressure monitoring system hasn't worked on the monochrome MFD (1 rear wheel didn't register). The car's been to Gilders Sheffield a total of 4 days now and it's still not resolved - they've replaced sensors, control panels etc!!
Can I have the data sheet you mention above?
Many thanks
Nevgo was good enough to send the data sheet to me. probably no use to you. Sheet concerns fault where no tyre pressures are displayed. Sheet just states which chassis numbers are affected
Passat B7 BE376087 - BE398639 (Emden) and
Passat B7 BP348617 - BP355849 (Mosel)

Remedy - update software with SVM code 358D, VW brand CD from v.18.07.00 and the basic CD version 18.00 or higher must be installed before update.

Does the fault swap rear to front when you swap the wheels over? If so, fault is still with the sensor, possibly a battery issue. If not, either the antenna/receiver in the rear wheel arch or the loom feeding it. If three out of four pressures are showing, very unlikely to be the control panel or other items common across all four wheels. Main dealers should have a piece of test equipment that allows them to transmit directly into individual wheel arch antennas.

ian-f
27-11-2011, 12:13 PM
'SimonSheil' Yes! you're correct, I just checked it does depend on which key is used when setting up the units and is therefore key dependent.

VW Kiwi
23-01-2012, 06:00 AM
The tyre pressure monitoring system seems to require (expensive) transducers in the valves but the tyre monitoring system just uses the ABS to pick changes in the tyre rolling circumferences due to lower pressure (calibrated in the MFD). The NZ VW website spec PDF initially described my model has having the former but it was delivered only equipped with the latter. I queried with the dealer and they claimed it was a mistake in the specifications (and I noticed the VW website was updated after I had the dealer on about it and they queried it with VW NZ). I gave them the benefit of the doubt!!

Passat Sport
23-01-2012, 07:53 AM
The tyre pressure monitoring system seems to require (expensive) transducers in the valves but the tyre monitoring system just uses the ABS to pick changes in the tyre rolling circumferences due to lower pressure (calibrated in the MFD). The NZ VW website spec PDF initially described my model has having the former but it was delivered only equipped with the latter. I queried with the dealer and they claimed it was a mistake in the specifications (and I noticed the VW website was updated after I had the dealer on about it and they queried it with VW NZ). I gave them the benefit of the doubt!!
Your dealer is correct - see my reply to GarethG on page 6 of this thread. NZ only has the flat tyre monitoring.

elmiko
24-03-2012, 09:58 AM
Nevgo was good enough to send the data sheet to me. probably no use to you. Sheet concerns fault where no tyre pressures are displayed. Sheet just states which chassis numbers are affected
Passat B7 BE376087 - BE398639 (Emden) and
Passat B7 BP348617 - BP355849 (Mosel)

Remedy - update software with SVM code 358D, VW brand CD from v.18.07.00 and the basic CD version 18.00 or higher must be installed before update.

Hello
I have the same problem - could you send me this sheet that I can show it in my service?

BR

Passat Sport
24-03-2012, 09:31 PM
Data sheet as requested

elmiko
24-03-2012, 09:58 PM
Thank you :)

Hugh Jend
24-06-2012, 05:13 PM
My 170, CDTi Sport estate has developed a fault on one of the sensors.
It was delivered from new last week.
It's more of a nuisance than a problem, is it appears to detect the pressure after about 5 minutes of driving.
The amber flat tyre icon flashes manically...I check the MFD and the pressure incication is replaced by a line.
The Amber light, after a while, stops flashing and remains constant and then goes off.
At the same time, the pressure appears on the MFD.

Wigan Ian
18-09-2012, 10:55 AM
Just discussing 2011 B7 Sport tyre pressure monitor withdealers. Told that 2012 model it comes as standard – 2011 model it may not beavailable. Also Bluetooth on MFD is also missing, have to reach to main screento dial from address book, even though instructions in handbook clearly statethat it should be there. IS there a case for having this work done under warranty?

Passat Sport
14-10-2012, 07:53 AM
My 2011 model (delivered May 2011) has tyre pressure monitoring, but it didn't work initially. It took some effort to convince VW Customer Care and my dealer that it should. You need to look at the model plate (door pillar) and then confirm options from that plate. You can also look at the individual tyre valves - tyre pressure monitoring (ie readout of pressures) requires a special valve with solid metal base. In my case, it was incorrect software load that caused the problem. However, never have managed to get Bluetooth on MFD.

08-02-2013, 11:53 AM
Any one know how accurate the TPMS is?

Passat Sport
09-02-2013, 11:03 AM
Better than 0.5psi in my case. I use an automatic digital tyre inflator with preset and cutout, then check manually with a digital gauge. Automatic inflator and gauge correspond with each other, but readout is in 0.5psi increments.

I used to run Continentals (Contact 3) and noted roughly 3psi between cold setting and an hour of motorway driving.

Firkle
14-02-2013, 04:05 PM
Folks,

My 140BMT Sport displays tyre pressures individually for each wheel as soon as I switch on the ignition and continues to do so whilst travelling. To see them select page 1 of the vehicle status section. In settings you can specify the pressures are for part load or full load.

CovRob
15-02-2013, 12:34 AM
I'm picking up my AllTrack on Monday and it has the 18" rims with ContiSeal tyres. I plan on winter wheels & tyres for the end of the year. Does anyone know if rims need the transmitters fitted too or will the car accept them with no data signal and not fire constant warnings about no information about tyre pressures (or allow itself to be cancelled for the time they are on?

Firkle
15-02-2013, 09:07 AM
Rob,

Last summer my system failed and had to be reprogrammed but as far as I can remember it displayed zero pressure in each wheel and a warning message.

Phil

CovRob
15-02-2013, 10:24 AM
Thanks Phil. At least if it's just a warning that can be cleared once read I can decided whether to lay out on wheels with pressure sensor senders or not.

CovRob
17-02-2013, 12:42 AM
I think I've found the answer to my own question. I took a look in my Tiguan handbook regarding the TPM systems and, although I don't have this system on my Tig, the handbook refers to the system fitted to the AllTrack. It mentions a specific example of fitting tyres with no pressure senders (e.g winter tyres) and states that the system shuts down until wheels with senders are refitted. It also mentions that the senders in the removed wheels shutdown until refitted, conserving battery life. So it looks like I don't have to spend mega bucks on winter wheels as long as I don't mind forsaking the onboard pressure readouts. I guess the ABS wheel monitoring system might still work though...:confused:

Pixiedemon
18-02-2013, 01:11 AM
I think I've found the answer to my own question. I took a look in my Tiguan handbook regarding the TPM systems and, although I don't have this system on my Tig, the handbook refers to the system fitted to the AllTrack. It mentions a specific example of fitting tyres with no pressure senders (e.g winter tyres) and states that the system shuts down until wheels with senders are refitted. It also mentions that the senders in the removed wheels shutdown until refitted, conserving battery life. So it looks like I don't have to spend mega bucks on winter wheels as long as I don't mind forsaking the onboard pressure readouts. I guess the ABS wheel monitoring system might still work though...:confused:

Rob

That is correct. I have winter tyres minus pressure senders on my car at the moment (on their 2nd winter now). At the changeover, the tyre pressure screen disappeared shortly after starting the car, and the screen returns when the summer tyres are put back on. I never got a proper quote for the tyre pressure sensors, but the service team suggested the price would be in the region of £300, much more than the £60 I paid on the factory fit.

CovRob
18-02-2013, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the confirmation - always a reassurance. The prices you quote are in step with what I've found too.