PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Polo - headlamp bulb access

poloowner
11-07-2007, 11:31 AM
How do I get at the RHD driver's side (UK offside) headlamp bulb to change it? Do I have to remove all the front trim, or the complete wing and if so, how?!
As headlamps are a legal requirement, shouldn't it also be a requirement that they can be changed by the side of the road, and not taken to a dealer?!

poloowner
11-07-2007, 02:08 PM
Replying to my own question!
The answer is to find a neighbour with a smaller hand than mine, which will just fit in behind the headlight and can remove the bulb!
Andrew

SquashMan
21-07-2007, 10:18 AM
a friend of mine struggled to sort her polo out, and when she took it to the dealer (I'm not sure if it was VW) but they had to take the bumper off!!!! :o

so what is the 'proper' way of doing it (although I'm just inquiring, I don't have a Polo). I'm sure this info will be useful to someone else.

travis1234
29-07-2007, 09:48 AM
Polos are a nightmare. When i had a 53 reg, i decided to upgrade the headlights. Went in via the "small hand" method, but once they are put back in i drove to Newcastle the next night only to turn them on and they were all over the place! Took it to a dealer and fixed free of charge - aparantly they are terrible to adjust.

Oh and keep a first aid kit handy - when it happens you'll know why.

Dancer
08-03-2009, 09:51 PM
If you are having difficulty replacing the Dip Headlamp bulbs because you can't get your hand into the space behind the headlamp. I have found the way to do it.
The Fuel Filter is held in a cylindrical holder fixed to the body with one Torx (T45) screw at the top and two Torx screws lower down. Remove these and you will be able to move the Fuel Filter without having to mess with the rubber tubes going to and from it. There is now plenty of leeway to allow you to put your hand in and remove and replace the new bulb. The Dip Headlight differs from the Main Beams, as they are held in place with a locking ring. These are removed by turning the ring anti-clockwise. Note, where the metal tab is when you remove the blown bulb, so that you can replace the bulb easily. It should be at the top. Insert the new bulb into the holder and secure it by turning the ring clockwise to lock it. Finally push the wiring plug onto the lugs on the back of the bulb.
If you are really stuck, Halfords can fit the bulb for you but they charge £4.99 to do it.
I was able to buy a heavy duty set of Torx Drivers (which look like Allen Keys but with circular stems and fluted ends with a hole in each end for 'security Torx screws' for £4 including shipping on eBay. I will keep these in the car along with the Emergency set of bulbs. Then I will be able to change a bulb at the roadside if the situation ever occurs.
Happy Motoring