PDA

View Full Version : rear brake light bulb change

iankeay
27-05-2011, 03:38 PM
Its not to hard to do!

Inside the boot behind the light cluster there is a blank plug that you need to pop out about the size of a 50p (large coin).

In there you'll see a long plastic hex nut with a slot in it. It easier to use the screw driver (http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_I_replace_the_rear_light_on_Audi_A3##) in your spare wheel kit (probably designed for the job!). Unscrew this nut BE CAREFUL not to drop it in inside!

You then need to hold the rear cluster by the inside edge (boot/hatch open) and pull it out a bit to clear the thread you have just removed the plastic nut from.

Move the front of the cluster sidewards which will pop the side of the light out of the side part of the bodywork.

Its only held in by 2 plug style things in rubber gromets.

This is the most frightening part as it takes a bit of force to do this and when the light cluster pops out of the body you do to shout OH F***k i've broke it. Hopefully this wont happen though

Remove the black plastic covered nuts holding the grey plastic part and seperate the grey from the red.

The rest is simple, the bulbs are held on a circuit board like any other car in the back of the cluster.

Before you put the cluster back grease or use whashing up liquid to oil all the plastic clips and edges of the cluster and body where the surfaces rub toghether and the light will go back no problem.

Believe me i'm no mechanic and i did mine in max 30 mins. Hardest part was convincing myself i wasnt going to break the light cluster forcing it sidewards to remove it from the clips