PDA

View Full Version : Re-map Vs Tuning Box

Celsius
27-05-2011, 03:12 PM
Just changed from a 3.0TDi A4 that had been re-mapped (270ish BHP) to an A6 3.0TDi (230BHP) and it feels a little sluggish although smooth as it does not rip your neck off like the A4 did.

I am going to get it chipped one way or another but is a remap that much better than a tuning box and also whats the difference between a cheap box and a digital tuning box?

Answers on a postcard please............

FlashRemapping
29-05-2011, 09:57 AM
Just changed from a 3.0TDi A4 that had been re-mapped (270ish BHP) to an A6 3.0TDi (230BHP) and it feels a little sluggish although smooth as it does not rip your neck off like the A4 did.

I am going to get it chipped one way or another but is a remap that much better than a tuning box and also whats the difference between a cheap box and a digital tuning box?

Answers on a postcard please............

Hi Celcius

your 2007 3,0 tdi can be either remapped or have a tuning box fitted
Personally I only recommend tuning boxes for common rail diesel engines
and only digital ones - the analogue ones are really nothing more than a cheap resistor that fools your car. A digital box will adjust common rail pressure and fueling amounts
the ecu of teh car then makes its own adaptations to run correctly with this fueling and pressure.
Remapping will be a bit more exact as there are meny more perameters that can be fine tuned like torque limiters, smog maps etc etc
A decent tuning box will be roughly equal in price to a remap - Dave

Celsius
29-05-2011, 02:42 PM
Cheers Dave - good response, that does put things a little more into perspective.

Can you provide a switchable remap? I do a lot of motorway miles as well as town driving (around 20,000 a year) so this would be my prefered option if available.

Been out in the car again today and the acceloration on to the motorway was so slow compaired with what i'm used to, so this is a must.

PS - strange how many people spell Celsius with two C's.

Rob

FlashRemapping
29-05-2011, 05:22 PM
Hi Celsius

yes we do a switchable system
the v-switch http://www.flashremapping.co.uk/v-switch/

this system you would download some software onto your laptop and take a read of the vehicle via obd2 port and email us the file

we would then send you back 2 modified files so you can write any of the files to your car as and when you want

cost is £469 inclusive
but if you want to give me a call on 07886368795 on tuesday im at head office and I will see if we can do you a special deal on one

Dave
FlashRemapping

hmradcliffe
29-05-2011, 10:24 PM
Hi Dave

Any chance you'd do a similar deal on v-switch for my 2.5tdi A6?

Cheers

Howard

FlashRemapping
29-05-2011, 10:32 PM
Hi Dave

Any chance you'd do a similar deal on v-switch for my 2.5tdi A6?

Cheers

Howard

Yes of course
If you can give me a call on 07886 368795 on tuesday between 10 am and 3 pm
I will try and get a group buy together and hopefully at a best available price

Dave

dervmeister
09-06-2011, 12:03 AM
In all honesty Tuning boxes produce the figures but are peaky in their power/torque delivery, a remap will sustain the power for longer.

adamss24
09-06-2011, 10:17 AM
^^^Depends who's making the tune ! Most remaps i've seen are designed to give a torque spike so they look goon on the dino plot, really what is under the curve really matters and not the max power output. If you're chasing numbers i suggest you buy a replacement clutch/box and turbo as they will be the first to go...