PDA

View Full Version : Rear brakes

David1953
25-05-2011, 06:30 PM
Looked at the back brakes the other day and noticed that one disc was rusty.Checked the guide pins and bottom one on near side was seized solid. Wound it off trying to free it so ended up having to replace the carrier. I need to do the pads. Haynes says you should open up the bleed nipples to get the pistons back? I don't fancy that because they look as if they would easily wind off too.
Can you just push and twist and let the fluid go back to the reservoir. Car is a 1999 1.9tdi estate.
Any help much appreciated.
David

dan.taylor.1
25-05-2011, 07:10 PM
I think you mean round off mate, but that aside, just buy a windback tool, it twist whilst pushing in at the same time, most motorfactors sell tools and its a common one, halfords also sell them. i wouldnt bother with the bleed nipples unless your changing the fluid, just make sure the reservoir cap is off and it isnt full, as when you push the piston back itll spill out otherwise.

HTH

Dan

fourringsrus
25-05-2011, 08:56 PM
I think you mean round off mate, but that aside, just buy a windback tool, it twist whilst pushing in at the same time, most motorfactors sell tools and its a common one, halfords also sell them. i wouldnt bother with the bleed nipples unless your changing the fluid, just make sure the reservoir cap is off and it isnt full, as when you push the piston back itll spill out otherwise.

HTH

Dan

Ditto what he said^^