PDA

View Full Version : 2000 2.5tdi No PS or Charging? Help please!

MadVTI
22-05-2011, 11:30 PM
Hi all

Im new on here, just recently bought a W reg 2.5TDI for a run around. Love it to bits but developed an issue. :( The alternator lighjt is on and ive no power steering. Ive had a quick nosey and the belt seems on, and not shredded. Im a bit worried, Ive heard they are driven by an elastic coupling??? I pressume pepole mean a damper pulley on crank that shears or something?? Cheers for any help, Marc

adamss24
23-05-2011, 12:13 AM
That would be your auxiliary belt shreded to bits due to wear on the belt tensioner. It's a pain to change, the a/c compressor needs unbolting and then it comes off. If the PAS bracket bush is worn then you'll need a new bracket wich is over £100.

MadVTI
23-05-2011, 09:03 PM
As I said, the belt is fine and rotates? But No PS or Charging? Wondered if it could be electronically controlled etc..? Marc

fourringsrus
25-05-2011, 09:01 PM
If you think the belt is in good order and nothing appears to be siezed , can you determine whether the belts' tension is correct.
Us old school boys would see these symptoms as a loose or missing belt in the old days

Stuart

MadVTI
25-05-2011, 09:44 PM
BELTS ON AND OKAY BUT TENSION IS LOOSE? aUTO TENSIONER FAILED ME THINKS, HOW THE **** DO YOU GET IN TO IT. LOL