PDA

View Full Version : Advice/info on converting a 2.3 NG to EFI???

dgacampbell
22-05-2011, 03:06 PM
Hi has anyone converted the 2.3 NG from The KEIII-Jetronic to EFI?
I have 2 reasons for asking, one of which im sure i'll be spat at and damned to hell for lol
1- It seems the airflow meter is done on mine as i am losing go on WOT and replacement of this unless im lucky enough to find one working 2nd hand is gonna cost a small fortune (also how long would a second hand one last??)
2- It would solve the problem i am having with trying to get a multipoint lpg system fitted to it. as of next september i will have to do 100mile round trips to university per day, and at the current 31mpg i get out of it is not really possible on a students income lol (so that explains my reasoning hopefully lol)

No buy a diesel smart remarks please lol

So any information on whats involved would be greatly appreciated, or advice!

The only guy that was willing to give me any info on getting this car to run on lpg told me i would need a megasquirt ecu to provide pulses for the gas injectors,, but now as the airflow meter needs replaced, maybe i can kill 2 birds with one stone so to speak!

TIA
Dan.

Crasher
22-05-2011, 03:50 PM
I think you have not weighed up the costs and complexity of such a conversion. If running costs are such a concern it would be not much more of a task to convert it to a straight 5 TDI. The only straight 5 10 valve VAG engine I can think of that would be a starting point are the 97 to 2004 T4 units such as the AET, AEU, APL and AVT but these are transverse installation which is bound to cause problems.

dgacampbell
22-05-2011, 04:12 PM
You are probably correct, the thing is the car has a genuine 52000 miles on it, looks like it rolled out of the factory yesterday, and is of sentimental value, and other than the problem with it looseng power at WOT, which i have been told is the airflow meter/ fuel metering head which is over £500 to replace new the car is in near perfect condition. One way or another i will convert it to dual fuel ie run on lpg also, for that i am required to get a standalone ecu, as the multipoint gas ecu's need an injector pulse which this car does not supply with it being KEIII-Jetronic, Megasquirt being the most reasonably priced, at around £350 complete, or £220 as a diy kit, which i am toying with buying as i would enjoy the self building....... I know it sounds crazy lol.
So seeing as i wont need the K-jet metering head for the efi, (from what i can gather, the megasquirt ecu it just requires a MAP sensor, TPS, and lambda probe for fueling corrections) that will offset some of the cost?
So basically as i have to buy the ecu anyway for the lpg system to work, how much more complicated could it be to do away with the k-jet system and replace the injectors for electronically controlled ones?
Or am i wildly off the mark here? (sometimes a little knowledge is more dangerous than none at all lol ) ;)
TIA
Dan

Crasher
23-05-2011, 09:37 AM
It is going to cost a lot more than £500 to convert it to even parallel fire electronic injection, never mind sequential. The 5 cylinder T4 van with electronic injection will give you many stating points such as fuel rail/injectors, possibly inlet manifold and some other parts but I am not sure if it is going to be possible to fit electronic injectors in that head without removing it and having the injector locations bored out to accept seats such as part number

To go sequential you are going to need a crank signal such as a 60-2 to work with your camshaft position signal and the distributor would need modifying or replacing so as to provide only a signal pulse for cylinder 1.

A TPS should not be too difficult to attach to the standard throttle body, I use the one from a 2E Digifant engine or if you use a T4 inlet manifold you could use the T4 TB, idle valve and in fact, I think I would also use the head, it should work. The T4 ECU could be tuned to work as well using a piggy back controller, it would save one of the hardest parts of the conversion which is raw mapping, painful work.

I would be looking for a written of T4 with an AET, AEU, APL or AVT engine and thinking about going 2.5…

dgacampbell
24-05-2011, 02:14 PM
Hey Crasher, thanks for the information, which has led me to this information from a very helpfull guy on another forum also! :D
I think i may have found the answer i'm looking and gonna work out very cheap!
It seems the enginemanagement system from the 2.0 10v Volvo 850 is just about a direct swap, bar some work fitting the injectors in the inlet manifold! :D
As finding a petrol t4 or similar here is gonna be next to impossible, and finding a donor volvo, fairly easy, infact i just missed one for £90 by a day lol ;)
For anyone that is interested have a look here :D

http://www.classic-audi.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=14886

;) For all those (like myself) who refuse to take No as an answer lol ;)

Crasher
24-05-2011, 02:49 PM
That user 20vcqdriver is a chap called David, we painted his car and it is me they are talking about over those cranks, can’t get them any more at the moment.

dgacampbell
05-06-2011, 02:05 AM
You where right Crasher, its not going to be cheaply done at all lol
To get the ecu mapped to suit this car is going to cost more than the price of a megasquirt ecu,
So think that is the route i am going to take! looks like more fun anyway lol :P
I remember reading articles in magazines about your work on the audis yrs ago now! :)

Crasher
05-06-2011, 12:59 PM
Now you’re making me feel old…:(

dgacampbell
05-06-2011, 01:03 PM
Lol feel old myself, i'm trying to relive my youth with this car lmao mid life crisis so i'm told (cheeky B***h) lol
I think its cool i'm actually talkin to someone who's work had me fascinated in magazines for years so take it as a compliment ;)

dgacampbell
06-06-2011, 09:31 PM
Hi Crasher,
Sorry to pick your brain again, but i'm obviously looking for injectors from a car that would be both plentyfull and easy to come by in a scrap yard.
so the question is could i use golf gti injectors? And if so how much overhead would there be in them from the point of view, in the future should i wish to do all the usual stuff like cams, gas flowing, stroker conversion etc?
Would these injectors still be suitable at 170-190 bhp or would i be better with bigger ones at that stage? or just look for bigger ones now?
Tia
Dan

Crasher
07-06-2011, 10:47 AM
Personally I would go the 2.5 T4 route with the matching inlet manifold and head. You could use PB engine injectors as the cc per cylinder is about right but you need a 5 cylinder fuel rail for electronic injection and there are not many choices.